Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inequality in Funding
This piece came in my mailbox this morning: (it's subscription only, so I'll just print the whole piece)

Quote:Mission Bio Raises $30M in Series B Financing

Dec 13, 2018

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – Mission Bio said today that it has raised $30 million in a Series B financing round led by Agilent Technologies, Cota Capital, LAM Capital, and Mayfield, bringing its total financing to more than $50 million.
The South San Francisco, California startup has been developing droplet microfluidic single-cell DNA analysis technology and plans to use the funds to scale its Tapestri platform, which it launched last year. Mission Bio currently sells the platform along with a targeted research-use only panel focused on acute myeloid leukemia and a kit for customers to design their own panels.
"We can beat cancer with more effective, dynamic therapies, but we first need to precisely understand its biology, starting with the varying genetic composition of each and every cancerous cell," Charlie Silver, Mission Bio CEO, said in a statement. "With the Tapestri platform, we can track every cell, every mutation, to better guide treatments and save patient lives," he added.
Aside from expanding within the blood cancer research space, Mission Bio also plans to extend into CRISPR applications.
"The Tapestri platform's unique quality control capabilities are strengthening our CRISPR R&D programs," Darlene Solomon, senior vice president and chief technology officer at Agilent, said in the statement. 
Thirty whole million dollars!
For what appears to be some fairly relevant cancer research.
Meanwhile....
Some bloke in India just spent $150M on a wedding.
People keep insisting to me that wealth taxes don't work.
Be worth a shot.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
With you on that, but only if there's a guarantee that the taxes will go to the right places. There never is though, taxes tend to go into 'slush funds' and get distibuted through a laundering process to end up where ever the most political clout can be bought.

e.g. breaking 'news' this morning that the State government upped the taxes on building developers. The extra revenue was to cover the costs of State built roads and infrastructure to service the new suburban developments. Smart use of the money.

But guess where the money went? Into roads and schools? Nup, into a big pork barrel campaign spending spree on building ... waaaaiiiiit for it ... new football stadiums.

They pulled in roughly 800 mill from the developer taxes so they threw that into the bucket and announced they'd be spending 2 billion on upgrading, and completely demolishing and rebuilding other football stadiums in the Sydney metro.

Fuck the rural areas, the votes are in the city. None of the money is to be spent on road access to the new 'burbs, nor on public transport that would get them to the fantastically expensive football stadiums.
Duzzen madder, by the time the 2 billion is gone so will they. They always retire from politics just prior to a pet election project hitting the courts, or the headlines that it's gone 100% over budget estimate!

So, yeah, by all means, tax their arses TA, I'm not against that, I'm not a R.Wing extremist, but how sure are you that the cancer research would get the wedding funds?? I'm not too convinced of that at all.
(12-13-2018, 08:59 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Fuck the rural areas, the votes are in the city.

Yet as Trump showed, the big cities aren't necessarily the only place to win.

The farming lobby still owns National over here.

(12-13-2018, 08:59 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  So, yeah, by all means, tax their arses TA,  I'm not against that, I'm not a R.Wing extremist,  but how sure are you that the cancer research would get the wedding funds??   I'm not too convinced of that at all.

I don't blame you - all that extra money would be a magnet for every fuckwit and most of it would get wasted.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Paul Keating made some memorable quotable statements in Parliament one of which was a little more specific but boiled down to ... "never get between a politician and a source of funding."
Everyone wants to be King.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
"It's good to be da king."
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
Wasn't for Viserys. Confused