Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When telling the truth costs your life
In an age where the media is the enemy of the people, this is no surprise: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/dec/05/journalists-murdered-khashoggi-kuciak-panama-papers
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Sobering link, mate.

I wish our pop culture was more inclined on that sort of heroism and less on a sniper with the most kill shots.

Was a time when a war journalist was off-target..much like the red-cross, or the medic on the battlefield.
That's over.

All's fair in love and war.

btw, the U.S. is happy to do the same in various clandestine military operations all over the globe.
We like to keep it abstract. But we will hire and train death squads that are fine with killing progressive or critical voices...including Nuns.

There is ruthlessness in high places at a level that is hard to fathom unless one is inclined to study up on history a bit.
(Requires going beyond the headlines, in most cases.)

As I write, my nation is all about praising a dead war criminal. It's a lavish event. The tax payers will pick up the bill.

(Obscene on so many levels.)

Um,

Sorry, Nicaragua?

etc.
There are a few wry comments being made here about America's current dead 'hero'.

One Freudian slip was a ripper. yada yada about funeral arrangements then "the carcass .. um the casket will now be returned to Texas ... " whoops? or not?

Far as I know we haven't actually shot any pesky journalists but a few would like to.

We had 5 of ours lined up against a wall in East Timor and mowed down with a machine gun.

Rocked the nation and put Indo higher up on our nasty bastards lists, but didn't stop us trading with them. Journos aren't that important right?
Being a witness to atrocities can't be fun...or a good survival strategy.

We all have our heroes.

Mine come with no weapons.

yeah, i know...pathetic.
(12-05-2018, 12:28 PM)stanky Wrote:  I wish our pop culture was more inclined on that sort of heroism and less on a sniper with the most kill shots.etc.

Fucking right.

How many people outside Pakistan know and revere the name of one of the greatest child-heroes in all human history, Aitzaz Hasan?

Far as I'm concerned, his name should be on the pages of every history course ever taught. There's a hero with no gun for ya.

(Fucking old cunt Elizabeth II, Queen of England, Defender of the Faith, didn't even acknowledge him, far less confer the completely deserved George Medal on him. Probably not allowed to give them to muslins.)
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.