Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar(?) Energy.
https://www.createdigital.org.au/fusion-china-hotter-sun/?fbclid=IwAR2tnB6NYia5VTvTQBaT08jP7L3jd0rav9dbGqLtTGjhrvQam4IPGa2KhyY
Well, that's encouraging! If humans can ever make this work, we really would have an inexhaustible energy supply that doesn't fuck the environment in which we live. Such energy could be used, in part, to correct our past mistakes and put things right again. Hope I live long enough to see the beginning of that. Thanks for that post Di.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I'm a bad person Sparky, I told someone on another forum that they would surround it with solar panels and only run it at night when the regular panels don't work.  ... nobody believed me. WinkCoolSmile
Sadly, my first thought was that Trump will call it a hoax designed to ruin our mighty coal industry.
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
Too little, too late?
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Is there a quick and easy answer to how the hell you contain something like that when it acquires that happy level of being self sustaining? And what and how do you feed it? What fuels it? ... so many dumb questions ... so little time to ask 'em all. siiiigh.
The fuel is usually the heavier isotopes of hydrogen, those being Dueterium and Tritium. Same atomic number as hydrogen, but with an extra one or two nuetrons.

And how they contain it is the big problem they've been chasing for 50 years. Generally some kind of magnetic field of various shapes.

And then chase all the instabilities and attempt to crush them! Smile Kind of like I do every time I have a Scotch...

Wait.

What?
It's been the holy grail since i was a little kid.
Works great as an explosion. The trick is to control it via containment. But the heat is too much for any normal containers.

The Chinese attempt claimed 100 seconds of control. That's a huge jump (if true) but it's also almost nothing. I don't want to get my hopes up. Been there many times.

If reliable fusion reactors ever come on line, there will be some big changes. Not necessarily good, either.
With no energy shortage, we'd be free to do some really dumb shit.
I wonder what the results would be socially of the advent of a truly clean and cheap energy source. Lot's of interesting thought experiments there.
(11-25-2018, 10:06 PM)stanky Wrote:  If reliable fusion reactors ever come on line, there will be some big changes. Not necessarily good, either.

You know someone will try to weaponize the process somehow.
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky