Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
racism in america: a brief history
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XolTnP83wE

learn about Sambo, Mammy, Jim Crow and more.
(11-06-2018, 09:30 PM)stanky Wrote:  Link here.

learn about Sambo, Mammy, Jim Crow and more.

Fixed that for you.
"Who's with me?." - stanky
thanks
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_Chicken_Inn

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's
"Who's with me?." - stanky
I come from very liberal democratic white stock.
Still, Little Black Sambo was an important story.
Our first dog was black. Its name was "Sambo".

(damn, how we all loved Sambo.)

A common sing-song thing we used to chose sides for a game of some sort went like this:

"Eenie meany miny Mo, catch a nigger by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go..." etc.

The racism in that wasn't conscious. We were little kids.
We were little white niggers.

That's why i find it significant for whites to acknowledge the endemic aspect of racism...which seems obvious enough....but many don't recognize it.

The Governor's race in Georgia is getting interesting.
The black female only lacks 38,,000 votes to qualify for a re-do.

And there's still 77,000 un-tallied early votes; most of them from minority zones.

Here's where it gets all Twilight Zone weird:
Her opponent, the nasty white guy, is also Geogia's secretary of state...which gives him the power to over-see election issues.

Mildly freaky stuff, at least.

at worst, a horrendous stench rising over our nation, and drifting across the globe.

Once you catch the smell of hate and greed and deception, it stays with you.
It becomes easy to recognize.
Quote:Mildly freaky stuff, at least.

at worst, a horrendous stench rising over our nation, and drifting across the globe.

Once you catch the smell of hate and greed and deception, it stays with you.
It becomes easy to recognize.

Don't misconstrue this but that is the 'greatest' overlooked benefit of Trump.

He's done part of what he promised.  He hasn't drained the swamp but he's sure stirred up the mud and  stink to leave no one in doubt of exactly what Washington DC is.

How many Americans are more aware of the layers of politics beneath the banners and spangles than before Trump happened to them?
How many more are struggling up off their fat arses and going out to exercise their voting rights?
How many are rethinking exactly what the fuck their 'ideologies' really are and why aren't the Parties they vote for holding the same ones they are?

How many are noticing that no governments have done more than the bare minimum to improve their lot, and none have any cogent detailed policies that look like a plan for a 50 year future direction?

How many are questioning what they read as gospel from the media?

The 'collateral' of Trump isn't 100% damage, some of it is damned fine education into looking a little deeper into what they're really doing down there in the mud.

Probably the silliest thing said was by Nancy..  something along the lines of "now we can get back to doing things the way they're supposed be done. "

Oh dear.  Doesn't she realize that "business as usual" was the primary reason so many chose to risk Trump to change the hubris and aloof contempt inherent in "business as usual?!"

She didn't notice that the great American clusterfuck has been going on long before Trump?

No lesson learned there. Sad

Stanky, we read Uncle Tom's Cabin and called black dogs and fish Nigger and Golliwog dolls Sambo and did the eeny meeny miny mo thing too.
It had no relevance to life down here,  so I suppose we were racist by accident or something?
You weren't a racist when calling things Sambo so why the guilty feelings about it now?  Intent is the key.

Very few ever saw an African here, our 'blacks' were Kooris and Pacific Islanders so American labels didn't have any impact. 
We have some historical shame that bears more resemblance to the treatment of the American 'indians' than to treatment of the 'blacks'.
We did our share of massacres, no question, but African American racial hang ups are yours alone.

Uncle Tom's Cabin was just read as literature, no memory of ever hearing the teachers hammering a message about it.  We just thought it was a sadly 'cute' quasi historical story.  I read it at around 9 or 10, racism wasn't even a thing then.
Things were just as they were. Other peoples' history was just something you had to hear about in school.

I think it's time we stopped applying the modern expectations to the actions of the past.  They didn't think the way people are thinking now.  Some anyway.  

The guilt trip tactic is losing traction, time to try Mandela's tactic of forgiving the past to try and unite the future.  Blaming 'the others' is not doing it for either side.