Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorry About That!
I sense some misconceptions here.
I could add to the debate regarding pain relief in general.

If inflammation is the cause of the pain, nsaid's are often more effective than opiates.
Being doped out on opiates will remove a person from their concern about the pain, if that makes sense...but it's still there.
And the tolerance goes up remarkably fast.
And their are addiction issues...with real withdrawal symptoms.

I could add some details. Not because of my use, but because of working in hospitals, nursing homes, and hospice scenarios.

A bad tooth ache will respond to anti-biotics and dentistry very dramatically. Opiates are almost useless except for a day or two, while getting the infection under control. Self-medicating with opiates can really mess people up, in as much as the cause is often masked.

Constipation is a common and serious side effect of opiate use. Lots of people can't resist the momentary escape of the nod.
(09-18-2018, 04:15 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Fentanyl ?!!!  to a kid?? !

He only had the one dose, and they weighed him to the milligram beforehand, so I wasn't bothered from that angle.

(09-18-2018, 06:45 PM)stanky Wrote:  If inflammation is the cause of the pain, nsaid's are often more effective than opiates.

Which is why I was surprised at the Fentanyl being given.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Probably to chill him out. It's also effective for the worried parents. They calm down when they see the kid more relaxed. After which point, the more legitimate therapy might take hold.

Fentanyl gets a bad name for it's association with heroin adulteration.
It's potent as hell; no doubt about it.
Special measures are needed to measure out drugs in sub-milligram amounts.

Clandestine operations lack that sophistication.
Jeebus TA! Damned sorry to hear all this. I've been really busy the past couple of weeks with the new job and moving and all and haven't been around as much as I normally would.

Thoughts are with you and family.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
same.

keep us up-dated?
Not much fun. We've had the pain (still there) and today's the throwing up day.

Best he stops that fast or he'll be on a drip.

Fuck...
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
that sucks.
hang in there.
Possibly seek more medical opinions?

That can also suck...or cause confusion.

Truth is, there's all manner of health problems that we don't really understand.
Mostly due to complexity.
And lack of knowledge.

Good doctors are hard to find.
And hospitals are good places to score exotic infections.

It's quite the conundrum.

Unless you have a broken leg.
Or an obvious infectious disease.

The boy is in luck as per the scientific leanings and critical thinking nature of his Pa.

Hope it resolves quickly.
Seeing a kid in pain sucks.

We feel for him and you.

(pretty sure i can speak for all of us in that sentiment.)
Quote: We feel for him and you.

(pretty sure i can speak for all of us in that sentiment.)

Yep.
(09-19-2018, 11:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  that sucks.
hang in there.

I've just got back from the hospital as he's about to spend a third night in.

Trouble at this stage is that he can't keep anything down. The disease is causing lesions on the inside of his stomach that won't let food or even water settle in it.

(09-19-2018, 11:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  Possibly seek more medical opinions?

I'm pretty sure there aren't any to have. Cunt of a disease that will clear up and nothing will speed it up or alter its course.

(09-19-2018, 11:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  Truth is, there's all manner of health problems that we don't really understand.
Mostly due to complexity.
And lack of knowledge.

This falls directly in that - it's been fascinating watching the doctors at work. The bad news is, the two best by a long way work nights in paediatric emergency, which is sensible, but it means the ward doctors are average, and a little out of their depth. For some reason, the boy's veins are hard to get at, and the ward doctor wanted to put a drip line into his elbow. I pointed out that his joints were still sore & swollen, but she didn't think she could get another spot, so did it and the flush was ok, so away we went.

As soon as the drip started he was screaming in pain and I pretty much made the nurse take it out again.

They've finally got it in properly now.

Also, with the rarity of the disease, the myths about it seem to be more prevalent than the facts. One nurse tried to tell me it was a virus. Then she changed to "you get it after a virus", which may be correct in some cases, while I know for certain this one isn't.

What I did notice - and I'll post pics, because you'll be interested - I found that he has a large insect/beastie bite just above his left ankle. Even more suspiciously, his left calf was the first site of pain, so I'm definitely leaning towards a bite, which I note the literature covers as well. Certainly in the spot for a tick.

Interesting & terrifying at the same time.

(09-19-2018, 11:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  Good doctors are hard to find.
And hospitals are good places to score exotic infections.

In Auckland, we have both.

The drug-resistant diseases we get almost always trace back to India, but we're exceedingly lucky that lots of top-flight doctors from all over the world want to work here. The two outstanding docs were a Pommy bloke and a Kiwi chick.
1.6% of infections were thought to be due to tick bites: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3645106/

However, doctors aren't necessarily great card players, and card players look beyond the straight numbers.

That page, which seems to be the most comprehensive data available shrieks out at me. 60% of cases were in the countryside, and if the cause is mainly infections (colds/flu) and food allergies, you'd think the ratio would be a lot different, and more in the cities.

Seems to me that when a lot of kids have a virus, it's quite possible bites would be overlooked, because they're not being looked for when there's an easy culprit right in front of you.