Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remind me - why do we have kids?
Types The Atheist at 3:02 am NZT, having been up all night so far with the little bloke and his sore stomach.

Fun fun fun!

99.9% chance of it being norovirus, seeing as how there's an absolute epidemic of it right now. Sick buckets at the ready.

Stop laughing, Di!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
aw shucks, mate.
I feel for ya' and the wee lad.

Spent many a night like that.
Why do we have kids?

For the most part, it comes down to aggressive and horny males that could give a shit about birth control.

Too bad we can't have any stats on this.

What's your guess?

Of all these new humans coming into the fold, what % of them would you guess are born out of love and a real desire to have kids? And a mutual commitment?

My guess here would likely sound cynical. Hence, I hold my tongue.
Chin up TA,  there may be an advantage in it down the track.   When you get old and wobbly they'll pick you a nice nursing home.

I'm experiencing the downside of not breeding at the moment.  I've been kicking death's door for the last couple of weeks.  Busted spine, and extreme reaction to methotrexate side effects caused a few morning surprises that I woke up at all.
 But the "aged care" industry is so attached to the notion that everyone has 'someone' to look out for them that they just look blank when they encounter someone with nobody.  No family?  huh?  

There's Cuz of course but he's got his own urgent family worries, one of his daughters is in danger of going blind without surgery that keeps getting set back because of other issues.  She has 3 school aged kids and her husband is a pastry chef who starts work at 2am so Cuz will be down there looking after the kids while she's out of action.

It seems to be taken for granted that all li'l old crippled ladies have a retinue of kids and grandkids in attendance so when it comes down to the crunch there is no help available to cater for people entirely alone.    

I've had an 'assessment' made which has led to the phone call from the health mob yesterday to tell me I would be "rushed through' for a more detailed plan of assistance "in about 2 weeks!" ... riiiiight.    well that should about do it.

I'll either be recovered or dead of starvation by then ... problem solved.  

Shit.

Fuck 'em,  I'm surviving on boiled spuds, pain killers, and Pepsi and survived 2 busted vertebrae a few years ago alone so I'll get through again and if I don't it really won't matter.   It's not as though I'd be missing much.

It'd be really nice if someone would just sweep the floor or something, or help me get stuff from the tub to the drier but what the hell it gets done eventually.  

It's amazing what a hurdle the simplest task can become.   But .. I'm improving a bit day by day,  even the left hand is working better, no idea what happened to that, just lost power in it for a week or so.  Couldn't even type!

The M.trexate side affects have all about cleared up (the bleeding rashes were the biggest problem!) .. too much drama? ...

A radio jock here has the sign off call "be nice to your children, they get to pick your nursing home!" ... true!  
I'm finding it hard to sort out what home assistance is available and how to get it but judging by the idiot kids some oldies have around here I'd say they're in no better position than I am. Confused SadWink
Well fer feck's sake, love...
I was wondering why you'd become less verbose recently.
Didn't know you were on death's doorstep.

(If you check out before me, I'll have trouble forgiving either of us.)

I've never entertained fantasies of my kids caring for me in my dotterage. (Possibly not a word?)
Me and Mary saw our folks through to the grave. In a way, it was a reasonable choice, independent of any emotional stuff.
The cost of nursing home care amounts to more money than I've ever made...and oddly enough, some of the money I made was working in nursing homes.

I guess i always figured when the time comes, I'd simply stop breathing. The notion of my kids being burdened by me is seriously repugnant. I don't think i could let that happen. Was a time when people took on the elderly, for a spot of extra income and a worthwhile task. We use to have 'granny shacks' out back...even in the suburbs in the 50's.
They are most likely illegal now. Except for millenial/yuppies...and they are called 'tiny homes'.
(They cost more than any house I've ever had.)

People can be such shallow dicks and cunts and assholes.

You can come live with us, dear.

It's a bit chaotic here.
But we aren't cruel humans.
My Dad passed away without much fanfare, which is just the way he wanted it.  Up and walking around one minute, next minute, his heart decided to stop.  No muss, no fuss.  And he didn't just fall over.  It takes awhile for brain anoxia to set in good.  He felt dizzy, even told me so.  I suggested he sit down but he opted for bending over leaning on his car.  By the time I realized it was serious and laid him on the ground to begin CPR, it was too bloody late.  Hospital of course, but they had to restart him two or three times that night.  He'd signed a DNR and we removed him from life support the following day.  Brain dead.  Not a snow balls chance in hell of regaining consciousness.  15 fucking years ago last May.

And while I'm being morbid, my last cat passed a week ago today.

He was a 20 pound chubster in this photo.  About 8 pounds the passed  couple of years.  It was his time I guess.

Go ahead, click the pic. He was such a beautiful animal and as good natured as the workday is long.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(09-14-2018, 12:25 PM)stanky Wrote:  For the most part, it comes down to aggressive and horny males that could give a shit about birth control.

I'd bet they're a minority against women's biological imperative, but where the hell would you find out?

(09-14-2018, 06:23 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Chin up TA,  there may be an advantage in it down the track.   When you get old and wobbly they'll pick you a nice nursing home.

Yep, that's the size of it!

(09-14-2018, 06:23 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  But the "aged care" industry is so attached to the notion that everyone has 'someone' to look out for them that they just look blank when they encounter someone with nobody.  No family?  huh?  

Going by anecdotal stories I have of oldies in rest homes with dozens of grandchildren that never get visited, I think there's probably not much difference.

(09-14-2018, 09:34 PM)sparks Wrote:  And while I'm being morbid, my last cat passed a week ago today.

Nice pussy!

Mate, you should get a dawg.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Sparks, he exited looking happy fat and shiny and that's about as good as it gets in cat society.   You did him proud and I'm sorry you've lost him.   I still miss my little dog,  no shame in that.

Quote:TA wrote:

Going by anecdotal stories I have of oldies in rest homes with dozens of grandchildren that never get visited, I think there's probably not much difference.

True dat!  I remember one old dear where Mum was, who kept telling everyone she had 10 grandkids and would rattle off their names.  Only one of them ever visited her.

He was a nice kid too,  he'd drop by on his way home from school to check if the old girl was still warm but he'd spend more time talking to other oldies there than her.  

He used to fix the TV and video player that some idiot would push wrong buttons on and run little erands from some of the oldies.
One of those rarest of kids who actually enjoyed the company and stories of old people.   I was like that, hung out more with oldies than with my peers.
The poor boy will probably grow up weird like me.  Confused 

Never did see any of the other nine though and her son only called by about once a month to leave her some cash.

Another woman never had visitors and the staff told me that their instructions were to never contact her family except to report when she died!   She wasn't an ogre, she was rather sweet really and I can't imagine why her family treated her like that.

The staff in those aged hostel are a lottery,  oldies are totally dependent on their kindness of spirit, the ones at Singleton were gems.  Not too sure about the ones here.
There have been some pretty horrendous examples of "elder abuse" happening in the aged industry and it's a pretty scary prospect.   I'd rather just fade out here.  I have that DNR thing documented.  Death holds no terrors, but the manner of it can be a worry.

Don't worry Stanky,  I'm on the way back I think.   It was just a perfect storm of all the things that usually go wrong with my immune system coinciding with all the things that go wrong with a bad reaction to what is supposed to be 'treating' the problem.    The collateral aggravations are abating and I'm used to the effects of the rest of it.

I can keep food down now and that's taken care of most the shakiness.  
I feel a bit like one of those animals who go to ground to survive or die,  I also think I might be a tougher old bird than I look.   But if I stop posting you'll know I was wrong about that. Wink
TA says: "Mate, you should get a dawg. "

Puppies are worse than young children. They require constant attention to amount to anything. You've got kids.

Cats own you, they take care of themselves. Take good care of them and they may not run away. (I always kept mine indoors. The street is no place for a cat, if you want to see them again. I guess the same applies to kids and puppies really.)
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(09-14-2018, 09:34 PM)sparks Wrote:  My Dad passed away without much fanfare, which is just the way he wanted it.  

Similar to my father.

Sat down on the front steps of his home one morning while letting his dog out to do its business.

That is where my niece, who was visiting my my parents, found him about ten minutes later when she went to tell him breakfast was ready.

Happened December 22nd, which gets me melancholy during the holidays.

Di, hope you get somewhat better and stick around for a long while. We need someone to keep stanky in line, especially when we arrive in Australia on the "acquired" sailboat.
I like it hot and sticky - Di Wundrin