Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious News
I wanna see Jesus step out of a spaceship so the Fundies and the Alien Abduction people would all have something to prove their beliefs. Oh happy day! [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
JESUS WAS AN ALIEN

Inside the strange theology of the Aetherius Society

[Image: GoodJesus3-web.jpg]
"when you think you've lost everything... you find out you can always lose a little bit more." - President Bush
For some reason I find it hard to laugh at that mob.  At least no easier to laugh at their connection of aliens to their philosophy (is it even really a 'religion'?) than laughing about the other woo based beliefs.

I think thats a pretty good piece of writing that looks beyond the silliness and explains why people adopt it rather than just writing them off as retards.  

I don't have a real problem with those who need something to 'believe' in, whatever gets them through seems a reasonable concession to make, it's the ones 'selling' them belief that need culling.

This one doesn't seem to be a branch of the Mammon Mutual Aid Society so where's the harm?
Most religions are simply hijacked versions of what was originally a philosophy that produced a pretty sensible set of  rules to allow society to exist beyond the instincts of the jungle,  and civilization to be possible.

I like the author's summation of what he would have found very easy to lampoon as just another crazy cult. (which it is, kind of, on the surface)  but my appreciation is for his sensible coverage of it, not of the 'cult' itself.

Quote:The most important aspect of the Aetherius Society is summed up in its own official literature: “The Society does not regard itself as the one and only path to enlightenment or salvation. It maintains that all the great religions are simply different expressions of the one essential timeless reality that is the Divine Source.” There is no insistence that the Aetherius Society offers the sole theological truth. Quite the opposite: We are all struggling to understand the mystery of life, and every path toward meaning is a valid one.

Though I will never join the Aetherius Society, I wish them the absolute best in achieving their goals. At this moment in history, humanity needs all the healing it can get.

Amen to that! CoolAngel
well said, Di.

If there was a cult that was funny as hell and had laughs messing with the system (tax breaks; weird hats; sacred mumbo-jumbo) I's be tempted to join.

In fact, with the talent pool we have here, we should be able to come up with an acceptable cult.

Rules:
1. No monthly dues; no tithing.

feel free to chime in.

(the goofy hat thing feels like a given...but maybe i'm old fashioned.)
Chicago Bears Kicker: Jesus is the Reason I Hit the Uprights Four Times

Quote:“Of course they’re frustrated with me, but who’s more frustrated than myself?” he said. “I mean, this is my job, this is what I’m supposed to do, and I’m missing out there. I’ve got just to trust in what I’m doing and trust that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ makes no mistakes. For whatever reason, that was the day I was supposed to have.”
"when you think you've lost everything... you find out you can always lose a little bit more." - President Bush
Well we've learned one interesting thing about Jesus.  He watches the footy on his day off.

There's an ironic turn of events happening here to do with a footballer.
It's of minor interest to Americans perhaps as this flea was over there playing gridiron for a while.

He was an especially talented Rugby League player but didn't make it past one or two games in the gridiron rounds over there, different skill sets required.
But we all rolled with laughter when he was interviewed over there and did that thanking Jesus thing.  There was never any sign of religion from him here!  It was so obviously bullshit that it was hilarious.

He's back playing League football but mysteriously no clubs have picked him up for next season.  
It's been presumed that he's priced himself out of the market, he was demanding a couple of million,  ... but maybe the clubs had some inside information of his likelihood of ever playing again for anybody?

He's just been charged with " "aggravated sexual assault inflict actual bodily harm on victim"." which can carry 20 years if he's convicted and things don't look rosy for any other outcome.

Lucky America didn't want him, he would have been looking at more than 20 years.

And I don't think Jesus would have been paying his legal costs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-19/jarryd-hayne-charged-with-aggravated-sexual-assault/10511950?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=%5bnews_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1%5d%3a8935&user_id=1027030745c8c35b58f3989a58798cd921e327c859fe320df46d80002be55e30&WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Email%7c%5bnews_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1%5d%7c8935ABCNewsmail_topsto​ries_articlelink
(11-19-2018, 05:46 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Well we've learned one interesting thing about Jesus.  He watches the footy on his day off.
That's why he's always too busy to feed all the little niggers - watching all those good christian WASPS playing quarterback takes a lot of time, not to mention all the league players, baseballers & every Pasifika rugby player in the world.
Priorities.
I've been following the Hayne story - the outcome will be interesting.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It would have to make the list of the most expensive bonks in history at least. He can kiss a few million goodbye for it however it goes in court.
He's 30, the wheels of our justice system grind exceedingly slowly so he's going to past it by the time his case is dealt with and in the meantime? Who'd want to risk him?
If Jesus did feed his flock with the magic fish and loaves, he'd need to add some birth control to the feast.

Or we'd end up in this mess.
(11-19-2018, 08:39 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  It would have to make the list of the most expensive bonks in history at least.  He can kiss a few million goodbye for it however it goes in court.  
He's 30, the wheels of our justice system grind exceedingly slowly so he's going to past it by the time his case is dealt with and in the meantime?  Who'd want to risk him?

This whole #Metoo stuff makes me deeply uneasy. The idea is perfectly sound - blokes can keep their hands & genitals to themselves unless invited.

The trouble is, women do make false reports. Not many of them, but according to Blackstone's Formula, we don't send blokes to jail on the off-chance that they might be guilty.

Until someone can find a way to separate fact from fiction, we'll continue to see some offenders go free and some innocents go to jail. A lot more of the former, though.

Any time the only evidence is one person's word against another there's bound to be trouble.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.