• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Classical Thread.
Because I thought we could use one.

Crazy ain't what it used to be. - President Bush

My favorite composer, Rimsky-Korsakov:

You are a man of class Grayman.

All great choices.  I am a little familiar with Scheherazade .. meaning I've heard it probably twice.

The Devil's Trill Sonata is a newy to me, and being a bogan the thing I couldn't get out of my mind was The Devil Went Down to Georgia. (A top 10 fave)  ... I was more into C&W than the classics. Blush

But the eye opener was the Danse Macabre.  I recognized it immediately although I never knew the title of it.
It's the theme music to Jonathan Creek!  Love it.

There are classical pieces that I truly appreciate, but mostly they fall into the boring category to my tone deaf ears.

I have a couple to contribute but probably nothing outstanding, I'm the swine the pearls of great music are cast before I'm afraid.

I'll have a think and hunt up some poor examples of my tastes after dinner.
(07-25-2018, 07:36 PM)grayman Wrote:  Because I thought we could use one.

Damn right - now you're talking my language!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
A little Ravel?

You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktTwsiVb_w
I knew that had to be a reason I luv you blokes!

Sparky!  who knew? Heart  
Was a time when I was addicted to Pavane For a Dead Princess!!  But not the orchestral version, which is beautiful,  but to this more plebian version.

When I was young I thought I'd have it played at my funeral but it seemed a tad pompous.  Now I want Willy Nelson singing Nothing I Can Do About It Now.   Far more apt. 
...  but I still love that piece of music, and Ravel in general,  and won't forego the opp to post this one.  (before someone beats me to it.)

(07-26-2018, 08:47 AM)stanky Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktTwsiVb_w

Heart    My first remembered introduction to classical music!  A local schoolteacher played it on an old gramophone he'd 'donated' to the school to try and hammer some class into his pupils.  It worked, we loved it.
Especially that one.

Maybe the movie Fantasia soundtrack predated it as an introduction to 'good' music but I remember that one from school.
While I'm on a roll ...  here's a version of a Rodrigo fave I only discovered recently.

D'ya think I may have some blue mood issues?