Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
social experiments
I've been involved in a mess of experiments over the years.
I've never been involved in a cult, because cults necessitate a leader, which i find problematic.
But i have been involved with a few experiments. Let's call them "Egalitarian Communities".

They are initially very exciting; robust; creative as hell...but eventually, things turn south.
Couples can't actually endure the level of freedom offered. They split up, and leave the community fractured and weakened in some way.

Most hippy communes turn to shit after a while.
For the usual reasons.
Someone is doing most of the work to cover for a slacker...that sort of thing.
Toss in jealousy, and the loftiest of ideals are suddenly in the trash can.
Youthful enthusiasm tends to pretend to be more advanced than it really is.

In defense of some of these experiments in redesigning the idea of community, despite their essentially dim portfolio, I must add a few points:

1, Business as usual is failing. We're fucking up everything. So, it's not like the present plan is working.
2. It could be that we haven't yet achieved the emotional maturity to enable something groovy.
3. Social experiments are always under the gun. Regular folks are threatened by them. They tend to emerge under duress.
Johnny decides to grow his hair long and eat magic mushrooms periodically, and suddenly, he loses his trust fund.
4. There have been successful models in the past that we tend to ignore.
5. Some native American tribes would qualify. They functioned for a long time. Sustainable. But they had no defense for the flood of white meanies.

thinking on the fly here. But I have more to say on the subject.
and hybridization of ideologies.

Though many might object, i think we're all slaves to some degree of ideology.
And the dogma that follows.

(see you later?)
There's lots of references for various experiments.

The "Idiocratic Life" series is interesting, if you can suffer through it.
There are always a few people with some wisdom.
They are worth hearing from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxtL1r5WrA
The natives had little defense against the diseases of the white meanies.

A shame that our species cannot evolve socially as quickly as we advance technologically.
Crazy ain't what it used to be. - President Bush
Yeah man.

We're still funky great apes with high tech weaponry.

Prior to recently (like the past 500 years; a mere blink in time) things moved at a snail's pace.

When i was in my formative fugitive of justice years, I did lots of hitchhiking. Inevitably, a Volkswagen bus would pull over; full of nasty-ass hippies on their way to a rainbow gathering.

I stumbled into several of them.
They were very good and bad.
Imagine going on a camping trip in the woods for two weeks, with 20,000 of your friends.

The last one I was at was in Vermont..probably 30 years ago.
(They're always held in National forests.)

And now I see there was another one in Vermont; 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4OAgoN-yE

I'm not promoting this. But I do admire the spirit of social experiments.
Collectively, we are all engaged in a social experiment.
There is no sane 'base state' to fall back on.
We are out on a limb.

We flounder and stumble our way through life.

Whatever success we revel in is pure luck. It has fuck all to do with our awesome skills and talents.

I think that's an important fact to remember.

Otherwise. we must accept that someone like Trump gained his billions through extraordinary skills and smarts.
(07-21-2018, 07:21 AM)grayman Wrote:  A shame that our species cannot evolve socially as quickly as we advance technologically.

Therein lies the problem.

I once started a thread at Dawkins' forum to the effect that intelligence is an evolutionary dead end.

I still believe it. As Stanky said, there was really minimal change from 5000BC to 1500AD, and even between 1500 and 1800, there weren't huge changes, whereas the smartphone revolution of just this century has brought immense changes that we have no idea what they're doing.

We've raised the life expectancy to ~80, but we have no clue how to handle that simple fact. Show me one government which has sat up and taken notice of the tsunami of old cunts happening right now. In Japan, there are 85,000 centenarians, but nowhere near enough people to care for them.

We have all the planning skills of a dung beetle.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Why diss the dung beetle?
(They're quite stupendous, actually.)
(07-22-2018, 07:47 AM)stanky Wrote:  Why diss the dung beetle?
(They're quite stupendous, actually.)

I ain't dissing no dung beetle. I'm saying they're about as smart as humans.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Does individual IQ have much connection to the overall 'nature' of any species?

F'rinstance, you'll find some dogs are way smarter than other dogs but they'll still piss on your leg, eat shit, drag their arses on your carpet, and fight any other dog they don't like the smell of.

Species behaviour is hard wired, IQ seems to be an added "ap".
(07-22-2018, 04:33 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Species behaviour is hard wired, ..

No doubt at all.

Thing is, we should be smart enough to unlearn that shit.

You're right, though - it does look like IQ is Trumped by the genes.

Fuckin' shame, really. It's pretty simple stuff, and the answer is right there at our fingertips.