Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recorrrrd?
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth
Yep, imagine what kind of shit we'd be in if the plants weren't soaking it up!

Trouble is, it isn't working the same way in the oceans, where most of our oxygen comes from.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Yep. Oceanic acidification will end up fucking the entire biosphere. Us along with it, 'cause, you know, where a part of it and such. But yea, I'd be surprised if we didn't see a 'greening' effect with all the extra CO2 in the atmosphere.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Oddly enough, the accelerated growth is causing a reduction of nutrients in the plants we consume; however indirectly that may be.
How does that work? Soil depletion would be my guess in that the soil half of the planty equation can't keep up with increased CO2 hyper growth..... Just speculating here.
(06-25-2018, 10:39 AM)sparks Wrote:  How does that work?  Soil depletion would be my guess in that the soil half of the planty equation can't keep up with increased CO2 hyper growth.....  Just speculating here.

I'll try to find a link to what i read.
It's more like the acceleration doesn't have enough time for nutrient accumulation. Much like raspberries won't make berries if their fed too much. Instead, they devout their energies into making new leaves.
Yea, I get that. Kind of what I was trying (badly) to convey. Scenario is (again, just speculation on my part) is that the plants grow so fast that they deplete the soil before the bacteria in the soil have a chance to keep the soil fertile with required nutrients.

It's a very intricate machine we have here and are a part of. Anything gets seriously out of balance, and then we've the possibility of the whole house of cards could collapse. Didn't really think it will come from this direction though, my money is still on collapse of the oceans health. Or, collapse of the oceanic circulatory system.
(06-25-2018, 11:26 AM)stanky Wrote:  It's more like the acceleration doesn't have enough time for nutrient accumulation. Much like raspberries won't make berries if their fed too much. Instead, they devout their energies into making new leaves.

That's exactly it!

My analogy is a dope plant - you can force them to grow, with extra light & nutrients, but the shit will be shite.

Logic says problems like malnutrition will get worse.

Ho hum.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(06-25-2018, 03:34 PM)sparks Wrote:  Yea, I get that.  Kind of what I was trying (badly) to convey.  Scenario is (again, just speculation on my part) is that the plants grow so fast that they deplete the soil before the bacteria in the soil have a chance to keep the soil fertile with required nutrients.

It's a very intricate machine we have here and are a part of.  Anything gets seriously out of balance, and then we've the possibility of the whole house of cards could collapse.   Didn't really think it will come from this direction though, my money is still on collapse of the oceans health.  Or, collapse of the oceanic circulatory system.

Indeed.

Somehow human arrogance is such, that we really don't believe that our very existence is utterly dependent on a thin layer of topsoil and some micro-organisms. Food comes from stores, And restaurants.

The state of the oceans is the most troubling to me as well, sparky.
As the mover and shaker of heat flow; as a major food source for millions; and now this micro-plastic pollution...

I'm beginning to suspect that we truly are fucked.
The crown of creation, knocked out in the first round.

Yet, various geniuses remain convinced that we will colonize distant galaxies. Like, it's a given.
I'm not seeing it.
But i'm not various geniuses.
I like the idea of going to other planets because that will teach us how to better take care of this one.

But on the whole, I think it's too fucking late.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's just the way I read the evidences to date.