Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why science is hard
How science and the internet collide:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/opinion/sunday/moustached-kingfisher-internet-harassment.html
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Thanks TA: That is a good read.

But this really belongs in the "More reasons we are doomed" thread. When the Great Unwashed can weigh in on Teh Digital Dumbth (farcebook, twatter, and the like) and cause this kind of damage about that which they know absolutely NO THING at all, then we begin to move backwards. Through social media, the Great Unwashed have been given power they did not earn and that's fucking dangerous.

Have to pass a test to drive a car.

Social media should be regulated in the same way.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
There is a bright side to our exposure to the ferals on social media.  It makes us aware that people we think we know may be  really strangers who haven't revealed their true characters yet.

When I first ventured onto the internet the first big shake up I got came from a very tame and ferociously moderated forum abounding in nice middle aged ladies who found it hard to make butter melt in their mouths.

Yeah, I've ventured further since,  but I was testing the waters at the time.
Anyway the subject of some particularly tragic murder emerged and out came the demons dwelling in the heads of those 'nice' ladies.

The brutal, gruesome and quite detailed descriptions of what they thought should be done to the perpetrator sent chills down my spine!   The 'punishments' they proposed were worse than what was inflicted on the victim!
I called them on it,  asked them if they honestly felt that they could do that to anybody, even a proven murderer.
Oh yes, they assured me.   So I told them that my opinion of them just hit zero and that I didn't feel comfortable in the company of such cruel   people who were obviously far more deranged than the murderer and dumped the forum.

These same "ladies" could indulge in the niceties of how "cruel" the death penalty was.   WTF???

I was bored shitless with them all by then anyway so it was my first "perfect outraged flounce out"  excuse.  bwaahahaha.

But it was a heads up to test the waters carefully on other forums and to realize that we all seem to have that part that takes advantage of the anonymity of online posting.   Controlling it in ourselves and recognising it for what it is in others, and not judging their public character by that they show on the 'net became a whole new hobby.

Their hysterical descent into lunacy taught me more about the internet in one day than I may have learned a harder way over a longer time.   It gave me a teflon coating about getting 'flamed',  I was able to shrug it off as the ranting of an avatar, not of a real person as the real person didn't even know me.  Only their avatar was insulting my avatar.  No big deal.

But it is partly the reason I don't bother with Farcebook or Twitter or that kind of social media where it's easier to connect the real me, and the real them.   Mostly I prefer their avatars.

We hide behind our avatars, and it takes time and patience to winkle out the wheat from the chaff.  Only forums afford us that opportunity to really get to know cyber pals from a safe distance.  We've 'known' each other here for how many years  over various forums?   We still surprise each other sometimes, and that's a good thing.  
(06-16-2018, 12:31 PM)sparks Wrote:  Have to pass a test to drive a car.  

Social media should be regulated in the same way.

I said right from the birth of the internet that its anonymity was a bad idea. Everyone should be as visible as they were when phone books were a thing. If you want to be a cunt, people should be aware of who you are.

It's why my real name and address are easy to discover.

I had a big shitfight with one of the fuckwit mods at JREF who cried about identity theft, so I posted all of my details to prove the threat is way overrated and have never had a problem.

In my defence, I will note that threats - of which I've had both online and by phone - don't bother me in the way they'd bother lots of people.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Di says: "We hide behind our avatars, and it takes time and patience to winkle out the wheat from the chaff. Only forums afford us that opportunity to really get to know cyber pals from a safe distance. We've 'known' each other here for how many years over various forums? We still surprise each other sometimes, and that's a good thing. "

Anyone with half a brain can figure out who I am and use that info for personal gain. I wouldn't recommend it as my credit score is lower than a snakes ass in a wagon rut.

But nonetheless, I maintain tha social media, by and large, is killing all of us. And unless/until this shit is regulated, by someone other than THEM, it will continue to kill us.

Stand by for more headlines. They're coming to a hometown near you soon.
(06-17-2018, 03:35 AM)sparks Wrote:  But nonetheless, I maintain tha social media, by and large, is killing all of us.  And unless/until this shit is regulated, by someone other than THEM, it will continue to kill us.

In NZ, our schools have almost entirely bought into the Cloud.

Every note on a kid by the teacher; every test a kid ever does (and most of them are done online, so even individual answers are included); every story they write, is uploaded to either Microsoft or Google and kept in a searchable database.

Then you can add in every piece of medical information that you can guarantee is being uploaded to another Cloud database, and at the same time the kids are uploading frantically to Instagram & YT while giving Google a perfect record of where they walked, caught a bus and talked to.

If only someone had warned us of the dangers of this kind of thing long before the technology existed...

Even though I take great steps to let the fuckers (Google, FB, et al) know as little about me as possible, I still get targeted ads, and phone salespeople trying to sell me shit old cunts use. It's never going to work on me anyway, but the constant barrage gets plenty of people.

We are fucking stoopid as a species.
Agreed and thank you for saying so TA!

This is exactly why I will not, nay absolutely refuse to put up with WaPo's fucking demand that I see their ads in order to get the chewy sweet chocky center of their stupid fucking opinion pieces.

Ads? No. No, you fucks get a better business model. Then and only then will I subject my cognitive ability (slim as it is) to your shit.
'lower than a snake's ass in a wagon rut'

feckin' hell, sparky....

that was good.
(06-17-2018, 08:56 PM)stanky Wrote:  'lower than a snake's ass in a wagon rut'

feckin' hell, sparky....

that was good.

Indeed.
...people who waste this life on 'sacrifice and devotion' to a god they think is going to give them a better one.  This is as good as it gets, and they don't appreciate that.- Di Wundrin
Not original with me, I stole it from Robin Williams character in 'Good Morning Vietnam'...