Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
murder
we're a schizophrenic, sociopathc culture. on the one hand, we worship murder; call it heroic...and on the other hand, we lock people up for life. no wonder we are very confused... our base morality is severely compromised.
this is a recipe for disaster.

more  on this later.
(06-12-2018, 06:04 PM)stanky Wrote:  we're a schizophrenic, sociopathc culture. on the one hand, we worship murder; call it heroic...and on the other hand, we lock people up for life. no wonder we are very confused... our base morality is severely compromised.
this is a recipe for disaster.

more on this later.

This is what confuses we furriners so much. We're never sure just which America we're looking at. It's like defining a mirage, it's one thing one minute then takes a totally different shape the next.

None of the picture makes sense, so many contradictory aspects to it that America appears to us more like a Dali painting than a Rockwell one.
America still seems to see itself as 'Rockwellian' but no one else does. Or maybe it just wishes it was still Rockwellian?

I know we still wish it was 1950 sometimes but we're not really trying to make it 1950, America apparently is.. or half of it is.

I watched a show that Miriam Margolyes did about her travels through 'middle America'.
She's one of those 'force of nature' people who pulls no punches and follows no rules she doesn't like.
She's a Pom actor, you'll recognize her, but has now taken Aussie citizenship and has been living down here a while now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Margolyes

Anyway she's been talking to women in prisons and to Fundies and I have to admit I didn't have a full awareness of just how bloody strange those people are.

They seem smart and funny until they say something so illogical about how God spoke to them that it just shatters the whole assessment of them.

One very dignified, intelligent, well spoken and well informed older gent was making some good points about the state of politics in general and then he said...
" God spoke to me while I was watching Trump making a campaign speech, and he said to me .. "This is my man, you must support him".. so I will do that come what may!" .... geeeeeeezuz. Margolyes expression said it all.

So sorry, I did underestimate the level of latent insanity in that demographic somewhat.

It's just hard for us to fathom the intensity of belief in those kind of people, that never happened down here.
Not that mass evangelical hysteria thing. That deep, deep, conviction that god is in charge. We kind of treated the concept of god the same as politicians, if we believed at all. That he's just someone who tells us what to do but we only do it if it suits us.
There's religious pains in the arse around but not like that. That kind of thing would be laughable here.

But: Trump read them better than Clinton did. That's what politics is all about, best salesman wins.
it needn't be so complex...we just need to be honest and decent...and it will be ok.
True, but that is the goal that nobody seems to be able to kick.
Honest and decent in Washington DC? (Or anywhere else for that matter) Surely you jest stank. Hope you're right about it being OK. But I rather doubt it. Worst of it is, it's not just the USofA, it's the entire goddamned fucking world at stake here.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(06-13-2018, 03:08 AM)sparks Wrote:  Honest and decent in Washington DC?  (Or anywhere else for that matter)  Surely you jest stank.  Hope you're right about it being OK.  But I rather doubt it.  Worst of it is, it's not just the USofA, it's the entire goddamned fucking world at stake here.

yeah, man.

i wanted to make that point to ol' sweetie pie...that australia isn't immune to this...if anything, it's slow to the races.
there's not much point in pride anymore.

as t.a. has convinced me, i can't even sustain pride in nz anymore.

if anything, we might consider pride of shame.

like, i'm proud of how ashamed i am about stuff.

and the knowledge of my contribution to that shamelessness.

i'm not innocent. i'm a sinner.

i look back at some of my better sins with pride and longing.
sin can be pretty hot. 
Slow to the races perhaps but be assured we're checking out the course ahead with the binoculars.
If America founders who's the next horse to back? We will never win the race but we're trying really hard not to go down with those falling around us.

Are our pollies up to keeping that from happening? probably not.
But we also probably won't be electing them based on their ethics and higher principles, we'll be voting for those who know how the game is played. I hope!
leaders that know how the game is played tend to play the game.

in the u.s., there is a dark underbelly. it's the one ike warned us about.
we can no longer trust in the voting process itself.
seems like a problem to me.
Indeed. Our Republic is being absconded with.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Say hello to your new Chinese overlords.

Cunning plan they came up with: buy everything.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.