Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a sign? and of what?
(12-17-2020, 07:02 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  You lot are just plain Jinxs!!

The tally is up to 28 and counting.

More importantly, the number being traced is up to 3000, and with numbers that high you can bet they missed at least a few.

I hope the tracing really is gold standard, because this has the hallmarks of a major problem - the geographical spread just keeps growing.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Yep, the nerves are kicking in. They're buying toilet paper again.
What the fuck is it with toilet paper?

It's not like it's going to run out, shops aren't going to be shut...
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(12-18-2020, 07:37 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  What the fuck is it with toilet paper?

It's not like it's going to run out, shops aren't going to be shut...

I drove a 18-wheeler for a food wholesaler, delivering to grocery chains while I attended university.

Every time there was a threat of a snowstorm, I would see people out panic shopping, clearing out aisles to hoard supplies.

And in most of the area where I delivered, the majority of these people lived within a mile or two of either a supermarket or convenience store where if they did run out of something at home, a short walk or drive would get them to where they needed to be for supplies.

Plus the roads were usually cleared up within twenty-four hours anyway.

Also, I knew the stores weren't going to run out, because even in the worst weather, there was always some idiot in an 18-wheeler out making deliveries.
"The moose defies domestication."
~ stanky
(12-18-2020, 08:08 PM)grayman Wrote:  I drove a 18-wheeler for a food wholesaler, delivering to grocery chains while I attended university.

... there was always some idiot in an 18-wheeler out making deliveries.

Hmmm.
Guns and ammo are a hot commodity these days.Goddamn Biden and his communist brigade want to take them from you....according to some public officials speaking through some media outlets. Ignorant redneck hillbillies get these ideas from educated, well paid people, in nice clothes.
Senators; Congressmen; TV 'newscasters' that make millions per year; the occasional president of the United States of America...people like that teach other people how to be stupid and hateful. It don't come natural. It has to be carefully taught. The purpose is always the same...exploitation. In the realm of the televangelist, it couldn't be more obvious which way the money flows. Still, we aren't quite hip to that yet. That one always amazes me. Snake oil always has a lucrative market. We never tire of it.

I blame a collective 'dumbing down' of the masses. Technology has helped in that cause.
Imagine if, in America, for instance, we had an idea about the general usage of the internet, and what people do there...

Thing is, the big players in that field know precisely what it is we're doing. Mostly, not great stuff. But they have incentives to give us more of what we want. They don't care what it is. If all we wanted was to listen to science lectures, the algorithms would steer us to more of same.
If you dig gory horror movies, Netflix will suggest more of them for you. Super convenient.

It's a strange phenomena, though. Rather new, I'd say.
It's like our basest impulses get exaggerated, through a feed back loop.

it's why this handful of maladjusted miscreants are gathered here. We got filtered through a bunch of other stuff. (At least I did. Randi, ASF, etc.) It's funny that there's only 6 active members here.
There's hundreds more people involved in forums dedicated to Kim Kardashian's hair treatments.

(OK, skeptic and critical thinker in me says "I don't know if the above is actually true or not. Maybe it was my cynicism?)

I have a strong hunch...driven by an accumulation of anecdotal evidence. Next step is to state an hypothesis, and subject it to rigorous testing...and, with luck, peer review. Next comes a theory. A fact comes much further down the line. Facts are super-rare.
Too often, today, hunches are reported to be facts. Too many steps are skipped.
No one is forcing us to be stupid. Or weak. It's just been made so much easier, if that's your inclination.
Never did figure out about the toilet paper,  is it the same everywhere or an Aussie thing??

Blessed be the 18 wheeler drivers ...and all that.   (I'll probably think of something clever later,I'm a bit off my game today.)

(12-18-2020, 09:56 PM)stanky Wrote:  Guns and ammo are a hot commodity these days.Goddamn Biden and his communist brigade want to take them from you....according to some public officials speaking through some media outlets. Ignorant redneck hillbillies get these ideas from educated, well paid people, in nice clothes.

According to those I've heard they're more scared of the gangs who want the cops defunded than of the gubbermint.  But it depends who you hear I suppose.

Senators; Congressmen; TV 'newscasters' that make millions per year; the occasional president of the United States of America...people like that teach other people how to be stupid and hateful. It don't come natural. It has to be carefully taught. The purpose is always the same...exploitationBingo!!  but remember that it applies both ways.  And that sometimes it backfires spectacularly.

In the realm of the televangelist, it couldn't be more obvious which way the money flows. Still, we aren't quite hip to that yet. That one always amazes me. Snake oil always has a lucrative market. We never tire of it.

I blame a collective 'dumbing down' of the masses. Technology has helped in that cause.
Imagine if, in America, for instance, we had an idea about the general usage of the internet, and what people do there...

Dumbing down how though?  I've found that many 'dumb' people are simply not aware of some of the details of issues at all.    e.g. The details that are omitted from 'News' reports cast a totally different light on people's perceptions of the 'story'.  To my mind that is the worst kind of 'fake news' there is.

e.g. the blocking of the NY Post story of Hunter Biden's laptops and his 'deals' and his instruction to the Chows to remember the 10% "for the big guy". 

That was trumpeted as being deleted from both social and main stream media becuse it was Fake News/ Lies and even Russian disinformation!.   But it wasn't was it?  It was genuine news suppessed for blatant political purpose.

It was a fact that Zuckers, Doyle and the DNC didn't want voters to learn. 
Do you not think it odd that no one in the Biden camp outright denied it?  Or that just days after the election it was allowed back on Twatter and Facebook and even CNN reported it?

Do you find that degree of censorship, which amounted to at least attempting to mislead and worse, deny  the voters in an election information that may have been pertinent to their decision, chilling at all??  

Or is it okay because "our side" did it??  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been if Breitbart or anyone with a whiff of Repo had done it.  Christ, the sky would have crashed!

Is that the kind of "dumbing down" that is the bigger worry?  Dumb as in being kept ignorant of what's really going on?
We knew more about it down here than Americans did!  They didn't know what we were talking about.
Talk about places like N.Korea keeping the media under control... jeeezus, at least their government controls there,  in the USA bloody Zuckerberg owns what you are allowed to think!

oh, ...  so sorry, was I sounding as though this 'gaslighting' stuff really pisses me off??

Or is the dumbing down you mean done by means of telling all kids that none of them fail at anything, everyone is a genius, and everyone must learn at the level of the lowest IQ in the class to prove it?

Thing is, the big players in that field know precisely what it is we're doing. Mostly, not great stuff. But they have incentives to give us more of what we want. They don't care what it is. If all we wanted was to listen to science lectures, the algorithms would steer us to more of same.
If you dig gory horror movies, Netflix will suggest more of them for you. Super convenient.

It's a strange phenomena, though. Rather new, I'd say.
It's like our basest impulses get exaggerated, through a feed back loop.

Hell no!  it's not new.  It was termed Bread and Circuses thousands of years ago.  If you throw them freebies they will follow and maybe even "love you".

Politicians know it, it's why they lie.  We know it too but we want the freebies more than the freedom
We think we can have both and don't even notice that the freedom is draining away.  The time is approaching when we will be free to enjoy living where we're told to and doing only what we're permitted.

And the worst part of it is that we've gotten to the point where social media has inspired us to be our own guards.  Put a foot over the line and the rest of us will pull you down.

For some reason I've never understood people with Leftish attitudes never seem to find this as terrifying as those on the Right. The 'side' that campaigns for individual freedom is the one who is most willing to give it up for the 'greater good'.    Funny dat.

it's why this handful of maladjusted miscreants are gathered here. We got filtered through a bunch of other stuff. (At least I did. Randi, ASF, etc.) It's funny that there's only 6 active members here.
There's hundreds more people involved in forums dedicated to Kim Kardashian's hair treatments.

(OK, skeptic and critical thinker in me says "I don't know if the above is actually true or not. Maybe it was my cynicism?)

Can't speak for others but I've hung around because I enjoy the arguments immensely, and  I like smaller forums because I hate crowds.

I have a strong hunch...driven by an accumulation of anecdotal evidence. Next step is to state an hypothesis, and subject it to rigorous testing...and, with luck, peer review. Next comes a theory. A fact comes much further down the line. Facts are super-rare.
Too often, today, hunches are reported to be facts. Too many steps are skipped.  A big yes to that!  see above rant.
No one is forcing us to be stupid. Or weak. It's just been made so much easier, if that's your inclination.

That's the trick of it.  No one ever got rich selling a product that nobody would buy.
We keep buying the products and the bullshit so we can't blame the salesmen can we?

Sorry Pres, now you'll have to go and hunt up some insulting video to post in lieu of actual argument.  WinkBig Grin