Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brilliant Summary from Time
Very rare I see a piece I agree with 100%, but here's one:

http://time.com/5280446/baby-boomer-generation-america-steve-brill/
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I'm on board.
Quote:Indeed, money has come to dominate everything so completely that the people we send to D.C. to represent us have been reduced to begging on the phone for campaign cash up to five hours a day and spending their evenings taking checks at fundraisers organized by those swarming lobbyists. A gerrymandering process has rigged easy wins for most of them, as long as they fend off primary challengers–which ensures that they will gravitate toward the special-interest positions of their donors and their party’s base, while racking up mounting deficits to pay for goods and services that cost more than budgeted, rarely work as promised and are seldom delivered on time.

Can't disagree with part one.  Haven't gotten to part two yet.   But the above rings a bell  It's not only the US with that problem.   That piece could have been written about Canberra without changing more than the 'DC' to the 'ACT'.

Quote:Regulatory agencies were overwhelmed by battalions of lawyers who brilliantly weaponized the bedrock American value of due process so that, for example, an Occupational Safety and Health Administration rule protecting workers from a deadly chemical could be challenged and delayed for more than a decade and end up being hundreds of pages long. Lawyers then contested the meaning of every clause while racking up fees of hundreds of dollars per hour from clients who were saving millions of dollars on every clause they could water down.

They deployed litigators to fend off private-sector unions in the South and to defend their firings of union supporters and other blatant violations of law, for which they happily paid fines equivalent to 1% to 2% of what they saved by underpaying their workers.

This too is rearing it's ugly head.  OZ has OHS regulations approaching Draconian, and that is a good thing.
But there are moves on to relax some of the restrictions,  which is a bad thing.  If the Unions hadn't been turned into organized crime empires then this move would never have made it out of whatever backroom it was hatched in.

Quote:The frustrated, disillusioned Americans who voted for President Trump committed the ultimate act of rejecting the meritocrats – epitomized by the hardworking, always prepared, Yale Law – educated Hillary Clinton – in favor of an inexperienced, never-prepared, shoot-from-the-hip heir to a real estate fortune whose businesses had declared bankruptcy six times. He would “drain the swamp” in Washington, he promised. He would take the coal industry back to the greatness it had enjoyed 80 years before. He would rebuild the cities, block immigrants with a great wall, provide health care for all and make the country’s infrastructure the envy of the world, while cutting everyone’s taxes. Forty-six percent of those who voted figured that things were so bad, they might as well let him try.

Isn't that what Shiner and I were saying?   This bloke is "100% right"  but we weren't?  depends on the source eh? Angel

Quote:Stier and the others believe that the country will overrun the lobbyists and cross over the moats when enough Americans see that we need leaders who are prepared and intelligent, who can channel our frustration rather than exploit it, and who can unite the middle class and the poor rather than divide them. They are certain that when the country’s breakdown touches enough people directly and causes enough damage, the officeholders who depend on those people for their jobs will be forced to act.

The new achievers are doing what they do not because they are gluttons for frustration, but because they believe that America can be put back on the right course. They are laying the groundwork for the feeling of disgust to be channeled into a restoration.

They have a long drop to go yet before they can't afford to watch the Kardashians showing them how they should look and act.  But at least there are some people with brains setting up a counter to the 'swamp' lobbyists.

America had better hope that they are the core of  new Political movement to break the hold of BOTH the present Parties.

I'm a bit confused about how the 'Baby Boomers' are being blamed for the whole scene though. 

That's to infer that everyone of that generation is an arsehole by nature.   Just as small a percentage of Boomers made it into those circles of influence as any other generation.

Zuckerberg's not a boomer so are all people of his generation robotic arseholes making a fortune from the emotionally gullible?

Boomers, but by no means all, were in the lucky position of being in the right place in a recovering and booming economy.   They didn't orchestrate the boom,  they just used the opportunities available to them.
Is there any who think that any other generation wouldn't have??

I'm biased, I'm one of the earliest Boomers, I was a tad too old to latch on to the education available to those born a few years later,  but I did the best I could with what I had and I resent like hell that I'm spoken of in generalised terms as a "greedy Baby Boomer."   In the context of the era I was doing it tough!

Anyway... excellent piece.  I don't even find any political bias in it,  just a factual account of how things are and a good insight into how they got that way. 

I see a lot similarities, although not as intensely, in the way OZ has developed.  

"Be afraid" is the lesson in it.
(05-18-2018, 05:11 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Isn't that what Shiner and I were saying?   This bloke is "100% right"  but we weren't?  depends on the source eh? Angel

Uhhh, no.

I was saying that as soon as he won. You can check my posts on that, but you must have seen that I've consistently berated the Dems for picking Hillary, then assuming they'd win.

A deserved slap, even.

Pity is, the sure turns out to be a lot worse than the disease.

(05-18-2018, 05:11 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Boomers, but by no means all, were in the lucky position of being in the right place in a recovering and booming economy.   They didn't orchestrate the boom,  they just used the opportunities available to them.
Is there any who think that any other generation wouldn't have??

Absolutely correct. Humans are selfish by nature, as Dawkins explained, and as anyone with any understanding of evolution knew already - selfishness is an excellent survival mechanism, and protecting your genes by setting up your kids works for all life.

Boomers were the first generation of humans ever who lived in an expanding economy, relative peace and with increasing life expectancy. As you say, they were in the right place at the right time. It's been exacerbated by the next generation doing the same thing.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.