Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFL
Get him out quick! He's been looking at rugby's rule book.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
DOH!!   The penny has just dropped on exactly who is running the AFL.   I saw the name but it didn't register until now.

Steve Hocking I didn't recognize.   I only knew him as Buddha!!   Gary Ablet already carried the nickname God so the second best Geelong player had to be Buddha.    Buddha Hocking.  Not Steve.
I bet Mrs TA will have a chuckle at this Sydney girl's ignorance.   Blush

This epiphany of awareness has thrown me into even more bewildering turmoil.  Why would a top 10 player of all time want to change the game at all???   WTF??

Edit to add:

Hang on! That's not right either! Buddha was Garry Hocking not Steven ... so who the fuck is Steven?? He played for Geelong too ... are they related or something??

I'm giving up on this. Your missus is the Cat's fan TA, she can sort it out for me ... or not. siiiigh.
You must be a bit happier today, Di? Beating the 'Pies makes everyone a Swans supporter!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I was going to comment about that game on the heart rate thread!! Jeeezuz it went down to the last 5 seconds.

... yes about the Maggies, everybody hates 'em. If the Swans had lost to them I think I'd have just folded the season up and hoped for better next year.

How did Carlton go? ... or should I ask?
Carlton went great!

Only lost by 72...
O geeeze, sorry 'bout that mate.
When I first started following the Swannies I think they went one season without winning any, or only 1 or 2.
I know how it feels.

Have Carlo got any young blood coming in?? Is it the coach? the 'culture'?
Money. They don't have enough to get the players they need.

It'll be years, if ever, to come back out of this hole. I can see them vying for wooden spoon for the next decade.
Maybe they should consider relocating to another base, like Hobart or ... Auckland .. or something?  

The Swans only survived because the extremely weird Doctor Edelstein bought them and relocated them to Sydney.

As South Melbourne Bloods they were shite.   Washed up losers.  A strong loyal membership but not enough of them with 2 bucks to spare.  
They still get the old 'Bloods' fans turning out in thousands when they play in Melbourne.  That team loyalty thing dies hard. 
They're are Melbourne kids barracking for the South Melbourne"Bloods" .. (not the Sydney Swans. Huh ) ..  who were born long after the team left Melbourne.

Still plenty of old Fitzroy  fans who turn out to barrack for the Brisbane Lions.  It's the colours that they stay loyal to.
Odd trait really but it's how footy fans roll.

So if Carlton relocated they'd not lose all their present membership and may pick up some new ones.  Too many teams in Melbourne anyway. 

Seems a bit ironic that the first year I took a real interest in AFL, after I'd retired, 1994 Carlton were the team to beat.  They won the flag that year or the next from memory but it's been all downhill since then.

Would Auckland suit you??  Can you afford to buy them??  Any rich AFL fan rich bastards over there who'd be interested?
(08-05-2018, 08:36 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Maybe they should consider relocating to another base, like Hobart or ... Auckland .. or something?  

Shit, I'd love them to move here, but since Auckland couldn't support a soccer team in a city where there 200,000 soccer players, I reckon the chances of an AFL team thriving here, where there are about 200 AFL players, to be very slim indeed. Nobody has any interest in the game at all in NZ.

That's great for me, because the TV is free, but it means they wouldn't even bring a game here, let lone a team.

And what the fuck is going on with the violence in AFL right now? A couple of weeks ago it was the fans, this weekend, it was the west coasters going at it like Sunnis v Shi'ites! Jesus, I saw a bit of the coverage today and there was some really thuggish shit going on from the Eagles, including a broken jaw to a young Docker. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-05/gaffs-punch-leaves-freos-brayshaw-bloodied-brownlow-hopes-ruined/10070418

There was an all-in brawl after that didn't make the press.

It's starting to make league look pretty mild right now. (Although league is still full of thugs, as I noticed when a bloke got hit about 3 seconds late by a shoulder in the face and the ref didn't even look at his whistle)
Ummm.  Did you watch it much back in the 70's 80's??  that was par for the course.
On field brawls (termed melees) were an expected part of the game.  Dermi Brereton was reknowned for 'biff'.  

Older fans are still whinging about how 'soft' the game is these days.   But from what I've seen of those past clips, the spectators weren't all that into brawling among themselves, they left it to the players.

There's a bit of a pattern around the Eagles lately though.  The Swans have had a few run ins with them.

Thinking back I think it was an Eagle player that Tony Lockett decked and got 5 weeks.  And Barry Hall the same thing, copped something he didn't like hearing from an Eagles player and decked him same as Lockett but years later and different player.  Hall got 5 weeks too.

Recently there was the Adam Goodes 'racial slur' tantrum.  His entire psyche was bruised by a 13 year old girl yelling "ya big ape" at him after he'd decked (accidentally, of course, Saint Adam wouldn't have meant it) her favourite Eagles player.
She was an Eagles fan in the front row and on investigation didn't even know that 'ape' was racist, thought it was just an insult for anyone she didn't like and yelled it white players on other teams too!.  ... but he's still playing that card!

but   ... too many Eagles incidents to ignore.  Either they're throwing them, or sledging to the limits to get one thrown at them.  
Maybe they're missing that pillar of virtue Ben Cousins?  There's been a succession of drug takers and dealers after him flushed out of that team since he was sprung.  ...  relevant?  dunno.

I'm not too bothered about the biff on the field, that's easily seen and dealt with.  It's the spectator brawls that bother me,  that's a serious threat to the 'culture' of the game.