Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFL
No idea either what triggered it with the Pies. It was on long before I became interested in it. Hard to imagine any toffs in Collingwood, none of the fans have teeth do they? Other than Eddie.

That's the key to why Manly is hated though. Toffs from the Northern Beaches used to buy the team the best players, stolen from other teams of course.
The salary cap has pulled that up but they're still referred to as silverspoons.
I hope your blokes have been going ok, Di, because this Carlton crowd is making me cry!

They start out every week looking like worldbeaters, but they can only keep it up for half the first quarter.

Their chicks must be ready for some new blood, even if the club isn't!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I don't wanna talk aboud it.
Swannies are in holiday mode since they had a bye. It broke the rythm.
Got beaten 2 in row after that. siiiiigh.
The Tiges polished 'em up fair and square.
Then much the same result from the Cats and if they could kick straight the defeat would have been a lot more painful.

Poor old Buddy is still stuck on 899 goals. He kicked his 900th but the 'maggot' ump disallowed it! aaarrrgh.
Not a good couple of weeks here either.

Geeze I dunno why we watch it, the bastards just break our hearts.
Sorts the real fans out!

You keep watching them and hoping...
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Ouch.

Beaten by the GC. It doesn't get any worse than that.

I hope you can continue that form if you come to Melbourne to play Carlton!
I don't wanna talk aboudit!

Topped off a shitty week.

I reckon they should all have been swabbed! They had to be on something. Maybe "the take?" there was massive odds on GC.
Jesus, you'd have to wonder a little.

I dunno what the starters odds were for GC winning in Sydney, but they would have been bloody long.

And a little bit of the argy-bargy among the fans going on, I see. Not after that game, but Melbourne & Perth seem to be developing a rep for it.

It's an interesting development, because that kind of shit had largely gone away. That's one area rugby can stand pretty tall - there has never been any inter-supporter thuggery in the game, except at the lowest levels every now and then.
Very disappointing to see that stoush at the AFL, especially as it was in the area unofficially deemed 'family friendly' where the really little kids can be taken to watch the game in safety from getting trampled by yobbos.

But the lack of brawls has long been part of the game's marketing and if that gets trashed they're going to go the same way that League is going. People will stop taking their kids to the games and the bond kids grow up with for the game will be lost.

There's multiple causes for fan 'unrest' being touted by the gurus.
It goes for both League and AFL lately, the constant tweaking of the rules for starters, and the 'interpretations' of the rules according to whichever referee/umpire happens to be making a decision at the time.

The people in charge of running the games are playing career and sponsorship politics, not football.
We need Demetriou back!

They need to just play by the hard fast rules of the game or there's going to be "interpretations" fought over in the stands.
Nah, none of them are smart enough to know the rules anyway.

Rugby would tend to prove that wrong as well. If you want incomprehensible rules, watch rugby. The rule book is thicker than the bible, and like the bible, is interpreted differently by clubs, regions, countries and the IRB.

I think it's all just part of people being a lot readier to go the biff in general these days. Peaceful protests turn violent in an instant. Road rage is another good example - most blokes' first response is to go on a physical attack, which didn't happen in the past.
Put some people in charge and they go full despot!

Quote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-23/afl-faces-heated-philosophical-battle-over-rule-changes/10023450?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%3a8935&user_id=1027030745c8c35b58f3989a58798cd921e327c859fe320df46d80002be55e30&WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Email%7c%7c8935&utm_content=ABCNewsmail_topstories_articlelink 

....  The active intervention of the AFL's new operations chief Steve Hocking means this has not merely been one of those predictable media-driven debates — sharing the ANZAC Day game, a night Grand Final, umpiring standards — that punctuate each season.

Hocking has formed more committees than the United Nations to consider ideas that would change both the appearance of the game, but also its very nature.
These innovations include set starting positions at stoppages; something that would impose artificial structure on a game whose anarchic nature is supposedly an expression of the free-spirit of the country in which it evolved during the nineteenth century.

Hell NO!