Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFL
The 'Dogs' have always been like that, always over estimated their capabilities, something in the club culture perhaps?
They only won that Premiership because Walt Disney was running the show and the fans were demanding happy endings and the referees were shamelessly handing the Dogs all the penalties and free kicks to make sure they won it.
It was bloody sickening to watch!

Quote: I don't know the history, but are the Swans mostly from Sydney originally?

No, not when I first got interested in it at all, back about 1995, they were all blow ins from Melbourne Addie and Perth, there was no AFL culture in Sydney to speak of at all back then.  It was referred to as Arial Ping Pong and derided mightily in Sydney.  NRL owned us.
The whole team was bought by Edelstein and transplanted to Sydney.  It's the old South Melbourne team which got so abysmal that it was about to be dropped from the League.  They players were none to happy to have to move out of Melbourne and most of the best of them bailed.
Some of the team were ex Soccer players (midfield) and some were ex Rugby Union players, (ruckmen and full backs)  it was patched together to make up the numbers and was pretty pathetic for the first 10 years or so.

Over the years though the honchos running the game have worked hard in getting the NSW kids interested, sponsoring country teams, changing the whole Sydney view of the game and making them realise that the AFL players were very far from the soft pooftas that the NRL was painting them.

A few TV shows used to run regular contests between AFL and NRL, Soccer and RU players and the AFL blokes beat them all by lengths except at some heavyweight powerlifting like stuff.  
They were faster, more agile and had far more stamina and there were some very embarrassed NRL players around after that.  

The women were the key to getting AFL accepted and popular in Sydney,  we have eyes.

A lot more of the current players are home grown now though,  they've come up through the clubs and schools and have grown up with it which their fathers didn't.  Some of the best now Keiren Jack and Isaac Heeney especially are local lads which helps weld the fan base.
Keiren Jack's old man was one of the best of the NRL players around, not sure you'd remember Gary Jack?,  and he was devastated that his son went 'over to the dark side' and switched codes,  but he's proud as punch at how damned good he is at it.

Most of the Giants players, far as I know, not interested in them, are imports from down South but that will change too and they'll pick up more Sydney fans as local boys get gigs.   Sheedy did wonders to get them started up as a new club but the new coaches have lost the plot and the team is too big and 'clumsy' now,  not enough small faster blokes in it and they're being outmanouvered by faster smaller players.   It's all a learning curve.
(06-02-2018, 08:18 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  The women were the key to getting AFL accepted and popular in Sydney,  we have eyes.

Haha! That's why Mrs A is into the game. The only disappointment is that she likes that wanker Paddy Dangerfield, from Geelong. I make up for it by only calling him Rodney.

(06-02-2018, 08:18 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  A lot more of the current players are home grown now though,  they've come up through the clubs and schools and have grown up with it which their fathers didn't.  Some of the best now Keiren Jack and Isaac Heeney especially are local lads which helps weld the fan base.
Keiren Jack's old man was one of the best of the NRL players around, not sure you'd remember Gary Jack?,  and he was devastated that his son went 'over to the dark side' and switched codes,  but he's proud as punch at how damned good he is at it.

I remember him well. Most famous for being absolutely smashed to bits by a very fucking angry Ian Roberts. I'm pretty sure it's the only on-field incident in the NRL to be treated as a criminal assault.

If you check out this clip, you'll see the fight, the aftermath, and a very little Keiren Jack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM4HMgB9aYI
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I don't even remember that! I never watched the NRL, only ever saw what there was of it on the News but don't recall that incident. I was probably on afternoon shift and avoided the Newscasts.

I only know of Gary Jack by what was said by the commentators who held him up as top player and for being Keiren's dad.
You couldn't avoid hearing about the game, it's still all some people talk about, and it was worse back then when League was the only game in town.

I remember Ian Roberts on TV crying about being picked on for being a poof or something.
I had a look at him and thought at the time he didn't look like the kind of bloke who was in any danger of being bashed up for it! Big unit and he did have a violent rep from memory.

There were some ripper AFL brawls when I first started watching it but they've taken the biff out of it now.
The last KO I remember being landed was when Bazza Hall decked some Eagle with one punch.

They all just chest bump now, looks hilarious.
Crackin' game. Swans v. Eagles. No love lost there and no effort spared so far. Tight scores, furrowed brows on the coaches, fair turnout of spectators for a cold night. Does it get better?

Nick Nat. is back too.
Sydneeee, Sydneeeee.  Plucked the Eagles.

They're sharing the game points lead now,  West Coast ahead by 2 percentage points.
The Eags have only lost 2 games all season.  Both of them to the Swannees..  Big Grin
Yeah, good effort- I watched that. I'm not even going to mention Carlton...
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
No, I didn't mention them either. I feel for ya though mate. When I started following the swans they hadn't won a premmie for over 60 years. It was 72 years before they came good. Tell me about backing losers.

I seem to remember that when I started watching AFL regularly Carlton won a premmie. That was back about 95 ish?

Hills 'n hollers. Hang in there.
'95 it was.

Still, they do hold the joint record for the most premiership wins, so at least we have history!

Going by yesterday's effort, there's still a fair amount of work before they add to it. Lucky the Bombers aren't that likely!

Next week looks fun - Collingwood, coming off 4 straight wins, while the Blues are coming off four straight losses. I think the TAB will be offering lucrative odds on Carlton winning that one.
Hell yes, that would be worth risking a dollar on ... who know? maybe those miracles people believe in really happen??

... or not.

What is it about Collingwood? That old saying is pretty spot on, that all AFL fans support 2 teams. Their own and whichever one is playing against the Pies.

Same thing in Sydney with the NRL, everybody hates Manly.
(06-16-2018, 04:29 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  What is it about Collingwood?  That old saying is pretty spot on,  that all AFL fans support 2 teams.  Their own and whichever one is playing against the Pies.

I don't know the origins, being so long ago, but is around a few toffs at the club? They always seem pretty poncy, or maybe it's just that twat Eddie Maguire gives that impression.