Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFL

..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
(05-18-2018, 01:39 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Big game on tomorrow.  Gold Coast v. Port Adelaide.  Normally they'd get 8,000 if they were lucky but they're expecting a viewing audience of at least 10 million and the stadium is completely sold out.

They're playing in Beijing!

Yeah, I saw that was happening - interesting idea. If they get plenty of Chinese women along I reckon they have an instant 0.5 billion fans on the way.

Why'd they put such a crap game up for it? The GC? They can't even get a home crowd, especially since 99% of people on the GC are Kiwis, and I'm pretty sure their away crowds are the worst in the league. Good for their wallet, but not a game I'd put up as an international drawcard.

(05-18-2018, 01:39 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Swannies are playing tomorrow, did you catch last weeks match?  Another cliff hanger but at least they won that one by a couple of points.

I did! I meant to say something but forgot about it. Stunning game. I know you won't, but I felt a bit sorry for the Hawks.

I'll be forlornly waving my Carlton flag about 5 pm NZT tomorrow, I expect.

Best news of the week: Naitanui back!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
He's good value isn't he? But there was some mumbling about him that I didn't quite catch .. nothing to take him out of the game again I hope. (Glad he was out when Sydney played them though.)

You're not the first one to ask why we'd send 3rd raters to China but it's something to do with club's management and coaching staff weighing up the toll the travelling takes on the players, and their chances of making the 8.

Those two don't have as much to lose as the top tier teams. Though I haven't even looked where Pt Addie sits on the list, but the Suns are just along to make up the numbers. They could have sent Carlton over with no damage to their status ... sorry.

The Swannies game is on at the same time as the Royal Wedding broadcast starts so the ratings will be interesting.
Guess what I'll be watching?
Better have been the Swans!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It was! I just peeked at the circus in the quarters breaks. Wasn't missing anything and I recorded some of it anyway.
Watched a bit of it after the game but not much, deleted it already. Zero interest.

Wasn't a great game last night, the Dockers were phoning their effort in. Too easy.
You're mob are up to take the Swannies on tonight TA.  They're behind already but did start out well.

It's "the Indigenous Round" this week.  Dunno exactly what that's about but there's no "Caucasian Round" so it can't be a race thing.   Angel

The only difference seems to be that they wear Koori designed jumpers which aren't hard to look at.
The Swans have changed the white logo to a black swan which I really like.  They should keep that.

The legend of the design is about the story that the first swan that flew in was white but it's feathers kept falling out so the crows came to the rescue and donated black feathers to it.    Nice one.

While I like the story, being such a nitpicker I can't help but wonder how old that 'legend' is.
They've been here, cut off from the world for 60,000 years, and before that were in Southern Asia so how did they even know there were any white swans elsewhere?

There have been a few dodgy 'legends' made up to cover land claims so at least this one would be pretty harmeless.
And it is kinda noice.

I don't know why they make such a deal out of 'Indigenous Round' really,  I don't think there's anyone who doesn't appreciate a few of them in the team, they're fantastic players and get into, and cause,  a lot less trouble than the white players do!   I can't imagine anyone would be game to make a racist comment to Buddy Franklin either,  he's an awesome unit.
They did an interview with Buddy, Mickey O'Laughlin and Adam Goodes before the game.  Never did like Goodes, bloody poser, but 'Magic' Mickey was always a fave, with everyone really, good to see him still around the Swannies,
but geeeze, he's looking the worse for wear.  Footy players seem to get 'old' fast once they retire.

Bugger, Jack Sylvani just kicked one for your side.   They're catching up again  He's a chip off the old block. .
Speaking of legends ...

A man asked an American Indian what was his wife's name.
He replied, "She called Five Horses".

The man said, "That's an unusual name for your wife.
What does  it mean?"
The Old Indian answered, "It old Indian Name. It mean . .    

.          . . . NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG,"

Carlton are back in front! Confused

(06-01-2018, 03:44 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  You're mob are up to take the Swannies on tonight TA.  They're behind already but did start out well.

Predictably whipped in the end. They need a complete re-build, which will take them a few years, if ever. I think all pro sports have gone the same way - there's an elite band of half a dozen who will always be the top teams. Once you get the money train rolling, it's easy enough to keep it there, but building up to that level seems impossible.

(06-01-2018, 03:44 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  It's "the Indigenous Round" this week.  Dunno exactly what that's about but there's no "Caucasian Round" so it can't be a race thing.   Angel

The only difference seems to be that they wear Koori designed jumpers which aren't hard to look at.
The Swans have changed the white logo to a black swan which I really like.  They should keep that.

Typical 21st century thing - but it looks pretty tokenistic. No harm in it, I suppose.
(06-02-2018, 12:28 AM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(06-01-2018, 03:44 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  You're mob are up to take the Swannies on tonight TA.  They're behind already but did start out well.

Predictably whipped in the end. They need a complete re-build, which will take them a few years, if ever. I think all pro sports have gone the same way - there's an elite band of half a dozen who will always be the top teams. Once you get the money train rolling, it's easy enough to keep it there, but building up to that level seems impossible.

That seems to be what the Swans have been working on for a good while.  I think Paul Roos had a lot to do with their different take on building the team.  They have a core of older 'mentors' but blood a lot of younger talent so the team isn't reliant on either the older core players or the marquee players, like Buddy.  I was chuffed when they won without him with kids on the team that I'd never even heard of! 
He cost them a few million but he's the only one on that kind of money far as I know.  At least he's proved to be worth it.   (It's almost worth it just to piss Hawthorn off that he bailed on them for the bigger dosh in Sydney.) 

The loss of of players like Jude Bolton, Goodes etc didn't knock them for six the way some teams collapse when a few key players are taken out.
They rotate the ruckmen and full forwards better than most teams.
Remember when Plugger Lockett was full forward?  It was a standing joke that he has never ran more than 30 metres,  he just waited for others to kick him the ball so he could score the goals.   Buddy covers the whole field, nothing lacking in his work ethic.

The training for stamina is still the tactic too, they pulled the same trick again,  start 'em hard, then let them catch up and get cocky, and relax a bit,  then run them off their legs in the last quarter.   You'd think the other coaches would have woken up to that by now.

Best coaching and management rule they have though is "No Dickheads."  They don't let the players do a lot of interviews, don't frequent the Footy Show panels, don't let them become 'celebrities'.  They keep low profiles and keep their heads out of the clouds.  Even Buddy doesn't big note himself.  There's still a few whispers about that break he took at grand final time year before last.  Rumours abounded that he was avoiding a drug test but nothing came of it so ... benefit of the doubt.

The Swans never won a Premiership for 72 years until Paul Roos switched from playing to coaching and a lot of their success since is down to his changed focus on training, personal discipline,  and tactics.  
But then, he tried to do the same for the Demons and failed spectacularly.  Is it the Melbourne/Sydney environment that makes the difference?  Less of the AFL cultural temptations away from Melbourne?  Hard to say. 
The Swans don't win everything but they keep us loyal by giving it a red hot go.  That's all fans can ask really.

(06-01-2018, 03:44 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  It's "the Indigenous Round" this week.  Dunno exactly what that's about but there's no "Caucasian Round" so it can't be a race thing.   Angel

Typical 21st century thing - but it looks pretty tokenistic. No harm in it, I suppose.

No,  doesn't do any harm,  and I agree that it looks like tokenism and if anything a tad patronizing but the Kooris don't seem to see it that way so what the hell.   Call it what they like if it keeps 'em all happy.
[quote='Di Wundrin' pid='48913' dateline='1527932109']
The loss of of players like Jude Bolton, Goodes etc didn't knock them for six the way some teams collapse when a few key players are taken out.
They rotate the ruckmen and full forwards better than most teams. [/quote]

Something that helps AFL against the other codes is the injury toll. The way pro sports are run, it's impossible to stay injury-free, but AFL doesn't have the constant bash of rugby & league.

The top tackler in AFL this season has a whopping 94 tackles, 10 clear of second.

In the NRL, the top five tacklers all have over 500.

Which also explains why AFL is such a vastly better game than one-dimensional league or 1.5 dimensional rugby.

[quote='Di Wundrin' pid='48913' dateline='1527932109']The training for stamina is still the tactic too, they pulled the same trick again,  start 'em hard, then let them catch up and get cocky, and relax a bit,  then run them off their legs in the last quarter.   You'd think the other coaches would have woken up to that by now.[/quote]

Stamina training sucks shit, which shows that something Sydney do motivates the guys better than other teams. Fuck, I've played rugby & soccer to average levels and always had plenty of petrol in the tank for 80 or 90 minutes. One go at AFL convinced me I'd never achieve the stamina to play it.

[quote='Di Wundrin' pid='48913' dateline='1527932109']Best coaching and management rule they have though is "No Dickheads."  They don't let the players do a lot of interviews, don't frequent the Footy Show panels, don't let them become 'celebrities'.  They keep low profiles and keep their heads out of the clouds.  Even Buddy doesn't big note himself.  There's still a few whispers about that break he took at grand final time year before last.  Rumours abounded that he was avoiding a drug test but nothing came of it so ... benefit of the doubt.[/quote]

Smart play - otherwise you end up with Israel Folau.

[quote='Di Wundrin' pid='48913' dateline='1527932109']The Swans never won a Premiership for 72 years until Paul Roos switched from playing to coaching and a lot of their success since is down to his changed focus on training, personal discipline,  and tactics.  
But then, he tried to do the same for the Demons and failed spectacularly.  Is it the Melbourne/Sydney environment that makes the difference?  Less of the AFL cultural temptations away from Melbourne?  Hard to say.  [/quote]

I don't know the history, but are the Swans mostly from Sydney originally?

It might be an attitude that started in schools - Sydney being so far behind Melbourne in numbers and history might mean they get worked harder earier and keep the habit?

[quote='Di Wundrin' pid='48913' dateline='1527932109']The Swans don't win everything but they keep us loyal by giving it a red hot go.  That's all fans can ask really. [/color]

Bloody right!

Funny old game yesterday between the 'Dogs & the Demons. Demons were red-hot favourites to win, but the dogs started like they were cyborgs - could not put a foot wrong for the first ten minutes and were about 18 in front. Organised, confident, succeeding.

Then it appeared to go to their heads and they went down by lots.