Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man mauled by bear survives shark attack
Speaking of outdoorsy nature communing activities ... did this get mentioned here?  It's just appeared on the 'old knitters' forum and I know I've seen it somewhere, or maybe just the headline.  If it was here already, my apologies.

Quote:https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/22/penn-state-outing-club-safety

Penn State's 98-Year-Old Outing Club Is No Longer Allowed to Go Outside

"Student safety in any activity is our primary focus."
Lenore Skenazy|Apr. 22, 2018 4:50 pm

What's more dangerous: rugby, or a walk in the woods? At Pennsylvania State University, the administrators apparently think it's the latter.
The student "Outing Club," which has gone backpacking, kayaking, and hiking in state parks over the course of its 98-year-existence, will no longer be allowed to host outdoor events after administrators conducted a risk assessment, according to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
"The types of activities in which [Penn State Outing Club] engages are above the university's threshold of acceptable risk for recognized student organizations," according to an official announcement.

A key issue for administrators was that the Outing Club frequently visit locations with poor cell phone coverage. This wasn't an issue during the Coolidge administration, but now that cell phones exist, students are apparently expected to remain glued to them at all times.
"Student safety in any activity is our primary focus," Lisa Powers, a Penn State spokeswoman, told
The Post-Gazette.............................

It's getting like that here too,  are we breeding a batch of silkworm kids?
Australia is known for the intensity of its venom, Di.
Your snakes alone give us crazy chills.

But then, upon investigation, I saw how seldom you folks die of snake bite. It's not a major crisis down under.

India is the country that should take snakes seriously.
If you look at those stats, it's stunning.
The problem there is mostly due to the profusion of barefoot peasants working agriculture in wet habitats that favor cobras and such.
Tigers still kill Indians.
Horrific.

bad sanitation? much worse kill rate.
Still, iirc, something like 10,000 Indians per year die of snake bite.

Can you imagine if a first world country had something like that going on?
If the U.S. had 10,000 shark bite deaths a year, no one would go to the beach, ever again, until the government nuked those bastards.

Mosquitoes, of course, are the really big killers of humans...or rather, the micro-organisms they carry.
Ticks may eventually give mosquitoes a run for their money.
And it isn't even the ticks...it's the microbes they happen to carry.
(Through no fault of their own, btw.)

When ticks bite (bless there hearts) it doesn't even hurt. How cool is that? They're nice guys, at heart. It's the microbes they carry....which are of no benefit to them. Same with mosquitoes and rabid raccoons...it's the microbes. Don't hate the rabid coon.

I'm kind-of lost.
Is this the rock and roll thread?
Quote:India is the country that should take snakes seriously.

Exackery!   More people but also more snakes.

The cobras tend to gather where the vermin is which is in densely populated places.
Perfect storm over there.

They're not all that numerous down here really, kind of well scattered, like their natural food source.
The most venomous snake on Earth, the 'Fierce snake' also termed inland Taipain and looks almost identical to the common Brown snake is rarely seen and has only been linked to 2 deaths in the (white) history of the country.

It's found way out in the desert where nobody goes.  It's all relative really.

Indo is not a place to walk carelessly either, they have some potent little vipers up there, but we seldom hear about their 'strike' rate, not news, just part of life.
funny that the most venomous snake kills almost no one.
Almost no one in the U.S. dies from snake bite, either.
Our most common venomous snake is the copperhead.
If you get bit by one, going to a hospital could cause your demise.

Last time I checked, no one in Kentucky had died from a copperhead bite.
yet, the fear looms large.
Rattlesnakes are slightly worse, but still, almost no deaths.

(I should google this, in case my memory has failed.)

The sexy wildlife caused human deaths,like the sharks and gators and bears and snakes, get a lot of attention...but don't amount to a hill of beans compared to falling off ladders and shit like that.

(Unless I'm wrong.)

my hunch is I'm not.
Just remembered there were two shark attacks in 2 days in WA within a kilometre of each other.

Late in the season but perhaps the fact that the idiots were surfing off a beach where a small dead whale had washed up a week before may have something to do with the bloody sharks prowling there!

How do these people feed themselves?

Edit: ditditditditdit .. breaking news. A third one has just been dined on .. in the same place! . Dunno if it just took a piece or the lot of the idiot.
if i was a shark, i would totally fuck with people.