Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man mauled by bear survives shark attack
Meet the man who's survived a snake, bear and shark attack

Quote:They say bad luck comes in threes, and for Dylan McWilliams, a 20-year-old from Colorado, that has unfortunately proved true.

The young outdoorsman has survived his third bloody brush with the animal kingdom - a shark attack while body boarding off the coast of Hawaii.
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
He seems to commune with nature quite a lot.
Maybe he should rethink that?
Nature doesn't like him very much.
I was reading about him. I've emailed suggesting he goes to Aussie so he can double the trifecta by getting bitten by a spider, a croc (small one) and a drop bear!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
He's still alive, fer feck's sake.

Maybe he's a bit of a drama queen?

I've been bitten by dogs five times, but you don't hear me mentioning it.

oops. I see my mistake there.

(I really need to get bitten by a bear. It's on my bucket list.)

I've been bitten by non-venomous .snakes a few times...which is like saying you're pretty lame, as per nature stuff goes.
Ticks don't count. Had three of them bite me yesterday. No blood was shed.

(Ignore me, I'm just jealous.)
I've never been bitten by a dog,  nipped accidentally by puppies but no adult dog bites.

But I've been bitten twice by two different cats! 
Bastards just sank one fang in,  one right through a fingernail! 
And wasn't that an uncomfortable couple of weeks! Confused

I've also been bitten by a rabbit.   ... how embarrassing is that?? Blush  
Well, it was more like sliced rather than bitten,  those things have scalpels not teeth.

But I've dodged a lot of other bullets, no snakes or spiders or nasties other than bloody Greenhead ants often and by little tiny ants around here that are barely big enough to see but sting like hell.

One wasp sting which I deserved but no bee stings even though I used to pick them up from flowers and put them on others when I was just a toddler.   I was told about that, I don't remember it, but Mum used to have heart attacks over the 'hobby'.

I seldom get attention from mosquitoes.  If there's anyone else within 10 metres they'll choose them every time.

I think I must have toxic blood.    But sandflies aren't so picky, those bastards give me plenty of attention. Angry
gosh, Di...

You've been fortunate in the biting phenomena.

I've had spider bites and endless wasp stings and bee stings and mosquitoes and horse flies and deer flies bit the shit out of me.
Also had a few cats break skin hard on me. The have sharper teeth than dogs.
I've had hamster bites as a kid. I've been bit and or pecked by a few wild birds including seagulls and one raptor.

still, no sharks; no bears, and so far,no venomous snakes.

I just heard a very cool anecdote on a podcast. It was during a discussion on racism. The white host told the tale of a white friend that grew up in Hawaii, and if he got hassled by the native Hawaiians, which can be a 'thing'..and the guy simply said "No. Because I wasn't an asshole."

That speaks volumes. And it isn't a point made often enough, imho.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general, if you aren't an asshole, you'll get bit less.
Most people that get bit by rattlesnakes were being assholes. Hard to prove that statement with data, but I can easily believe it.
I've seen a lot of snakes and I've seen a lot of assholes...and assholes can't resist hassling snakes.
In fact, they can't resist hassling humans.

The dogs that bit me were asshole dogs, frankly. And they had asshole owners. In every case. An asshole human can easily create an asshole dog. Or an asshole kid.
I scored my first wasp stings as a kid because we were being assholes. We were throwing rocks at a big nest in the woods. It's something young boys just do, if they don't have proper teachers.

A kid needs to learn the value of things, like wasps, so that they wouldn't be inclined to simply fuck with their existence for fun. And not so much because you could get a painful sting...but because of how stupid it is to simply fuck with shit because you can.
For modern white folks, this is particularly difficult to grok. We mostly grew up hypnotized with the idea of superiority. Made in God's image. The stewards and masters of all else.

That heady bullshit is very difficult to unlearn...especially for fans of the Bible or similar sacred hooplah.

I'm ranting the obvious, of course...certainly not meaning to talk down to anyone here.

Sometimes I write for the imaginary lurkers...or just to hear myself talk.

(I'm one of my favorites in that regard.)
okay with me.

I put my escapes down to sheer cowardice.
I don't mess with creatures without good reason, like rescuing them from an over enthusiast dog or if they've fell in a bucket of water or something, (I 'thawed' out a bee in my hand one really cold morning in Singleton) but I particularly don't mess with something that can fight back.

Ozzie kids were raised to know you don't grab hot things and never stick your fingers in or under something you can't see into. Hence the avoidance of Redbacks (like Black Widows) and other assorted spiders and snakes. I remember being called to look at any spiders found before they were dispatched just to show me the kind of places they hide in.
Redbacks are easy to spot but particular attention was paid to Trapdoor and Funnel Web spider hideouts.

Also at how small a space a big snake can squeeze into. But I wasn't shown the snakes, Blue Tongue lizards were a great substitute. The things can squash themselves into whatever shape fits the space. They're amazing.

I think you've nailed it with the arsehole theory. Not all of course, sometimes it's just a lapse in attention and written off to bad luck. Mum was bitten by a centipede from the garden. It got in under her skirt and didn't bite her until she was back in the house. She had a bad couple of days from that. A few baddies from a Redback bite too but it was only a baby or things may have gotten worse.

I can't recall my dad ever getting bitten by anything that mattered either. Nor my uncles. Except for the one who kept bees but that was an occupational hazard.

The wasp had every right to zap me. I knew there was a Paper Wasp nest in a bush but went ahead and pruned it with the whipper snipper anyway. I was careful not to hit the nest but the vibration must have given them headaches and I was lucky that just the one came out to tell me to fuck off. Which I did with some alacrity.

There was a bloke bitten by a Brown snake just the other day but I never heard any more about it so he probably made to the hospital in time for a shot.

Late in the season for them but then it's been an "Indian Summer".
Had a bee get caught in my motorcycle helmet and stung me. Not sure what kind of bee - looked a little like a horsefly - sent me to the hospital. First and only time that happened.
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
I avoid sticking my hands into crevices I can't see into like it was a superstition.
But it's not. It's common sense in a place like this. Brown recluses are common and lurk in hidden areas.
They're reclusive.
Same is true with snakes.
I still shake out my shoes in the morning before sticking my feet in them.
I've seen more scorpions in shoes than anywhere.

It's not like i live in constant fear of these things; I don't.
But i have some habits that err on caution.

If i wanted to get stung and bit more, I know exactly how I'd go about it.
Takes some time to get a handle on it.
In the case of sharks, who knows. Luck? Know where you're swimming?
Don't be flashy? That's more mysterious to me. I've swam around sharks many times.

It's possible that sharks are getting more pissy in recent years.
I've done solo hikes in Grizzly turf, but didn't encounter any.
Just as well. I was oblivious and unarmed...not even bear spray or a knife.
Black bears always ran away.

Feral hogs are on the rise, and they do make me a bit nervous....probably because i don't know enough about them.
Some mothers are very protective.
Mostly, though, everything wild is scared shit less of us...and for good reason.
Quote:It's not like i live in constant fear of these things; I don't.

But i have some habits that err on caution.

Same down here,  OZ has an unearned rep really, no more dangerous than anywhere else. It's just that our stuff seems to get more publicity because it's 'different'.   I'll choose to get lost in the Aussie bush over the American any time.

No predators big enough to worry about is advantage no.1   No bears, cougars, randy moose or stags etc.  A randy roo protecting his 'girls' would be the most dangerous animal out there.  (They can kill you but tend not to if squat down, they 'see' a standing human as a challenging roo.)

Snakes are easy enough to avoid, spiders prefer urban habitat in numbers so you'd have to be exceedingly unlucky to get bitten out in the bush.  Almost everything here is nocturnal so you probably wouldn't see a living creature at all if you didn't know where to look.
The likeliest thing to kill to you would be the weather or thirst. 

Americans would be really sadly disappointed with just how boring the Australian bush really is.   ... the coastline not so much,  a few hazards there but only a couple of lethal tricky things.

Feral pigs!  I forgot about them, yes they can do some damage if you stumble onto them.

My grandfather only went pigshooting with a mate the once.  He spent the night in a tree. [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]  I vaguely remember him telling the story but it was repeated for years after he died.

'Old mate' took a house dog instead of a trained pig dog and of course it went for the pigs yapping it's head off and the pigs turned on it and it fled straight back to the men.  Luckily they could see what their immediate future held clearly, dropped the rifles and climbed the nearest things high enough to stay out of reach of some pissy pigs. 

It was just on dusk and the pigs all settled down for the night under the trees!   The dog kept going and didn't get home for 3 days.

Never again.  His sons didn't go after pigs either, roos and rabbits for them.

That shoe shaking is also a good habit.  A man was bitten by a Funnel web spider in the toe of his shoe a few years back.  But not straight away, he'd traveled to work and was there a while before he felt a sting in his toe.  Confused

He survived and they got the right antivenom because his workmates trapped the spider for 'show and tell' at the hospital.