Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gender me this.
Welcome to the herd.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Baaaa aaa. [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(04-10-2018, 01:47 PM)stanky Wrote:  Shouldn't 'knitting' be an Olympic sport?

No, but bridge & chess might well be at some stage.

Count me in for gold in bridge if that ever happens. Cards talk to me.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(04-10-2018, 06:07 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  Cards talk to me.

Have you been trying stanky's mushrooms?
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
Could never understand cards. Love chess, yet I suck at it.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I can't do chess.  It ranks up  there with quantum theory to me.  I couldn't even beat my mum at draughts/checkers!

Dunno why, it's just logic mixed with deviousness,  I should be good at it but like numbers, it just shuts my circuits down.
Hell on wheels at Scrabble and Trivia but never once even tried to play Monopoly.  Didn't appeal.

Chess seems to be a bit like politics,  calculating the moves ahead, but when it's people it's easier somehow.  .. dunno..

Played Euchre and 500 a bit but can't stay attentive longer than an hour or so,  and was shite at poker.  I was better at reading the other players than calculating the odds and such but that never won me many hands. Sad
How are you at cribbage?
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
Need you ask?? The family used to play that when I quite young so I was left out but when they finally decided to teach me they realized they were wasting their time.

There's a cribbage club here, or was, they might have all died by now. I didn't join. There's a few play croquet too. Didn't join that either.
(04-10-2018, 07:18 PM)sparks Wrote:  Could never understand cards.  Love chess, yet I suck at it.

I could never play chess, because it's just too fucking slow.

Cards, however, are my game. I love cards so much that I actually despise bridge as a game because it's too easy.

There is only one card game that is 100% skill: Spades. I made money out of it for a while but it's not worth the investment because the pools are so small. It's not popular, because a good pair of players will beat weaker players 100 times out of 100 and no other game on earth works like it.

I had an online partner a few years back and nobody beat us, ever. Shit, we used to take on all sorts of people who thought they were heroes at the game and we'd cut them to bits. Then those cunts at Microsoft pulled the plug on the site.

Sigh...

(04-10-2018, 10:55 PM)grayman Wrote:  How are you at cribbage?

I learned to play cribbage when I was five years old and still play when I get the chance. The most social game of cards I know. Love it.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(04-10-2018, 07:18 PM)sparks Wrote:  Could never understand cards.  Love chess, yet I suck at it.

I get that.
I've played a lot of chess; kinda forced to.
The second you think you might be getting good at it, you accidentally play someone that is good. And you have no chance.
Feckin' humbling shit.

It's the same with everything, of course.
I got way into table tennis in high school years. I thought I had become good at it. Then I played someone that was good, and I had zero chance of scoring a single point. Zero.

Probably partially explains the pride I take in expressing my grandiose humility.

(sigh)