Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-driving Uber kills Arizona woman
Self-driving Uber kills Arizona woman in first fatal crash involving pedestrian

Quote:Tempe police said the self-driving car was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and that the vehicle hit a woman, who was walking outside of the crosswalk and later died at a hospital. There was a vehicle operator inside the car at the time of the crash.
"(my grunge is true)" - stanky
That's hitting the airwaves here in the last hour so too. There is much cynicism about these things, this stuff doesn't help with sales.

Wonder what the 'operator' was reading at the time?

How about that inferrence that it was the woman's fault for not being within the confines of the crossing?

Remember when we thought robots would be built to operate within our rules? Seems we have to operate within theirs.

siiiiigh.
Uber reaches settlement with family of autonomous vehicle victim

Quote:The terms of the settlement were not given. The law firm representing Herzberg's daughter and husband, whose names were not disclosed, said they would have no further comment on the matter as they considered it resolved.

An Uber spokeswoman declined to comment.

The fallout from the accident could stall the development and testing of self-driving vehicles, designed to eventually perform far better than human drivers and to sharply reduce the number of motor vehicle fatalities that occur each year.
"(my grunge is true)" - stanky
Don't get me wrong, robots creep me out. The creepiest are the robotic clowns that have been 'going around'.

but,

One has to wonder how many of the more normal traffic fatalities happened during that time frame?
Shouldn't some relativity enter the legal debate?

Otherwise, this could go the way of vaccines being illegal because one in a million of them cause a fatal reaction.
It does require a little perspective that's for sure.

I saw the footage of that accident and seriously, I doubt a Formula One driver would have had the reflexes required to avoid taking her out! She walked straight in front of the bloody thing!

The bigger question about it is the silence of the approaching electric vehicle. Maybe she misjudged the distance because she couldn't hear it?

I know I rely on hearing one coming at least as much as seeing one when I'm ready to wobble across a road.
I listen for running motors in parking lots too. Helps in knowing which ones not to walk behind too close.

My hearing is still much better than my eyesight but those electric ones ... nuthin'. Maybe we could go back to what they did when cars first appeared? Put a bell on them??
Pretty sure Toyota is putting sound boxes in their EVs for that very reason - a car you can't hear coming isn't ideal.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.