Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the purpose of meditation?
I love to know shit for the sake of knowing it. But, there's a part of me (that I built myself according to your notions here stank) that seeks to do something with the knowledge. If I'm reading you correctly, this particular knowledge would be good for nothing in external reality, right? It would be experiential knowledge of... where we come from, or what we're really made of? And while it's easy enough to rationally know our origins in energy, experiencing it is another thing altogether.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(02-13-2018, 12:27 PM)stanky Wrote:  I expected this, of course.

Making this thread was putting myself on the line; possibly worse than promoting a vegan diet.

Nah, it's not something I have any interest in either way. People can do it, it certainly does no harm. You're saying it does good, but science seems to disagree.

(02-13-2018, 12:27 PM)stanky Wrote:  But you couldn't be more mistaken with the placebo reference.

I was just quoting the science. I can't say I've done any study on the outcomes, but a reliable meta-analysis conducted by Massey looks ok to me. Sure beats anecdotes.

(02-13-2018, 12:27 PM)stanky Wrote:  The loser comment could be true. In some cases, people are driven to meditation because they are a mess.
Much like seeing fat people at the gym.

It doesn't make exercise fake because you see so many fat people at the gym.

Shocking analogy - there are extraordinarily strong benefits to losing weight and getting fit. Meditation, not so much, and unless you can show meditation has similar longevity effects to weight loss & fitness, it's a dead duck rather than an analogy.

You might be right about the losers, but I can confirm they're every bit the loser they were 20 & 30 years ago, and mostly more lost than they were then.

I'm sure not all meditators are losers, and if you think it's positive for you, then go for it.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.