Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aussie 'Flu - Much Worse than Mexican 'Flu
Hardly surprising, really...

I've been watching the 'flu stories after the season down this end, which was much, much worse than anyone expected.

It seems that the H3N2 influenza that started in the northern hemisphere last year, and was included in the vaccine for 2018, underwent a mutation in the southern winter, which means that the vaccine is almost useless against it. As far as I can tell, they haven't even pin-pointed the mutation yet, so don't have any vaccines expected just yet.

(as it happens, the mutation almost certainly happened here first, as we were months in front of Aussie with it, but we're not talking)

While the numbers of people infected are only a small increase on past years, the symptoms are slightly more severe, resulting in increased hospital admissions. The scariest part in the whole scenario is how fast the hospital systems around the world have been overcome. As a few knowledgeable people have noted, this shows up the problem that if a really severe pandemic happens, the systems will break completely and lead to vast numbers of deaths.

A good comparison would be the 1968 Hong Kong 'flu, which was enormous, but in a vastly lower population, and in the days when hospitals didn't have to beg for every cent and struggle to operate on the excessively tight budgets of today.

If something like that hits - as it inevitably must - there will be some very serious shit going down.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Holy shit - the very next click after "submit" was The Guardian, to be greeted by this gem at the top of the page: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/11/nhs-patients-dying-in-hospital-corridors-doctors-tell-theresa-may
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Ah, nothin' says lovin' like a good pandemic!
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
If Corben had been PM the Guardian would have done an article praising the efforts of the hospital in having saved so many. ... not that I'm suggesting the Guardian lists a little to port or anything.
(01-11-2018, 01:47 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  If Corben had been PM the Guardian would have done an article praising the efforts of the hospital in having saved so many.   ... not that I'm suggesting the Guardian lists a little to port or anything.

They do lean a long way left, but they do let facts get in the way of a good story.

Not to mention that if Corbyn were PM, hospitals may well have had extra funding.
I can't focus.

My fear is scattered in a thousand directions.
(01-11-2018, 08:07 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(01-11-2018, 01:47 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  If Corben had been PM the Guardian would have done an article praising the efforts of the hospital in having saved so many.   ... not that I'm suggesting the Guardian lists a little to port or anything.

They do lean a long way left, but they do let facts get in the way of a good story.

Not to mention that if Corbyn were PM, hospitals may well have had extra funding.

What 'research' has revealed to me is that you are correct that it gets the facts right .. when it reports them.
There have been stories around that put the Left in a dubious light that didn't appear in the Guardian at all.

They were facts, just not ones the crew at the G liked very much so better to ignore them than try and excuse them.

... and no I can't remember specific instances, there have been 2 over the last few months that I bothered to watch out for but they were local political faux pas

There was some mention on the local news last night that the 'Aussie' flu started in NZ but we're okay with claiming it to further piss off the Poms.  We took the Ashes and smote them with pestilence so it's all good.RolleyesBig Grin

There is a rumour that it was sourced from intimate contact with those white woolly 'ride on mowers' that proliferate over there but I'm sure that's just malicious gossip.  Angel
(01-12-2018, 12:11 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  There was some mention on the local news last night that the 'Aussie' flu started in NZ but we're okay with claiming it to further piss off the Poms.  

That's ok, then.

And on a more serious vein, things are getting ugly very quickly in UK.

The Torygraph (and Fail, etc) make the claim that based on current infection rates they will be at epidemic status in early February.

This is combining with health funding shortages to lead to some very fucking bad karma:

Quote:The letter from the most senior doctors at A&E units across the country said the health service was "chronically underfunded" and ill-prepared for winter.

They said more than 50 patients at a time had been left waiting for beds in casualty units, with 120 patients a day being managed in corridors and "some dying prematurely".

An epidemic would be over 50% more cases than they have right now - where the fuck are they going to put the extra thousands of people?
Whoa, things are getting grim in the UK - medical students are being asked to lend a hand.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/14/inexperienced-medical-students-urged-volunteer-nhs-winter-crisis-worsens

What the fuck do they think's going to happen with a much worse 'flu epidemic?
Medical infrastructure quickly collapses, 100,000 or more dead.

Some have a natural immunity.

Unless of course, it's an engineered bug built in a lab somewhere. Then all bets are off.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.