Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
males and females are different
(12-03-2018, 11:52 PM)grayman Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvE7kXAJTF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc17H68IKMs

was that gay? Not sure anymore.

The pole guy was amazing.
(12-03-2018, 09:09 PM)stanky Wrote:  Shot-put comes to mind. i gave it a try in tenth grade. wasn't strong enough to compete; wasn't motivated to get stronger for the event...i think, because it wasn't any fun. Just one big grunt.

I hope i haven't offended any of the shot-puters here.

I'm guessing there's only me, and I'm certainly not offended - each to their own.

It's pretty cool, though, when you've watched all the Brylcreem Boys at high school win the sprints and play winger at rugby, win the high jump & long jump...

Then I kicked their arses at shot put & discuss.

(12-03-2018, 09:09 PM)stanky Wrote:  For all i know, it's the ultimate expression of physical art.

In high school, back then, it was the sport of the really big fat kids to try. They couldn't run for shit, but it didn't much matter.

That's the beauty of it, and the thing the sprinters forget is that it's 60% strength and 40% technique. If they'd bothered to learn they probably would have beaten me.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Al Oerter was a boy hood hero of mine.
He won the Olympic gold medal four times in discuss.
That's a 16 year spread. And before steroids.

Not sure if that record has ever been repeated.

I did like the discus; probably because of the movie "Hercules" with Steve Reeves. He was built like a brick pizzeria. In the movie, he made the discus fly out of sight. Iirc, the babes were super impressed. (and wanted to 'do' him.)

I totally get it about technique.
My curse in jockdom was that I was 6' tall; 170 lbs. I realized quickly that I wasn't going to beat bigger guys (like you?) and I moved on.
Foolishly, into running distance. I was clearly to beefy for that sport. The two milers back then were skinny as fuck.
So i tried Wrestling. I could have been good at that, but I hated it. All that sweat. Grunting and hugging scantily clad dudes...i just wasn't gay enough.

The coaches in high school (in the 60's) were either PC, or stupid. They didn't have the balls (or it was against policy) to simply spare a kid the trouble; level with him. Tell him "dude, you're too big for gymnastics. Too small for shot-put." etc.

Oh well.
I'm almost over it.
(12-04-2018, 10:45 AM)stanky Wrote:  Al Oerter was a boy hood hero of mine.
He won the Olympic gold medal four times in discuss.
That's a 16 year spread. And before steroids.

Not sure if that record has ever been repeated.

It hasn't been beaten. I knew about Al Oeter, but my hero was a Pommy bloke called Geoff Capes, who I saw compete out here.

Funny thing about that. A couple of years ago, I noticed a "Geoffrey Capes" posting at ISF. I sent him a message asking if it was the same guy and he replied that it was, so I sent him a longer message saying how great it was to have him on board and that he was my #1 inspiration when I was a teenager.

He never replied and never posted at ISF again.

(12-04-2018, 10:45 AM)stanky Wrote:  I did like the discus; probably because of the movie "Hercules" with Steve Reeves.

While they're useless for hunting, I reckon a discus would have made a fair weapon back in those days. If you had a high point and a friendly wind you'd be knocking blokes' heads off from 100m away.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Shot put?  You have to be built like a Brahma bull to be good at that.  Geeeeze the build of  those chicks who do that!!  Confused 

The school had a couple of each of the Olympic gadgets to try out all the kids to see if there were any future athletic stars lurking in the playground.

So we all had to do try outs with all the equipment and I reckon if my efforts had been documented it would have had better run at the box office than a Buster Keaton movie.  

Why was I soooooo bad at everything?  I could barely chuck the shot ball far enough to clear my toes! 
The javelin barely made it half the distance to the line. 
The discus became a lethal random missile that had people diving for cover. 
Couldn't clear a 'high' jump above knee height. 
Landed on my arse halfway up the long jump pit.  
Couldn't cover more than 20 metres at full pace without collapsing for want of air.
No sense of balance so my gymnastic efforts must have been hysterical to watch.
Couldn't support my own weight with my hands so I spent more time on the floor than the 'bars'.
(Knocked myself out dropping off them on one occasion)
Id find myself sitting on the vaulting horse rather than clearing the bloody thing.

But I could stay afloat in a pool all day as long as I didn't have to move around in it much.   Never did make the full length to finish even one lap without puffing out.

... all this was well before I took up smoking so can't blame that for my lack of physical fitness. I take consolation that none of my family were ever jocks either.  Fishing and cricket was about as active as they ever got too.

This may account for my total lack of interest in athletes and Olympic ones in particular.

Had a giggle about Hussein Bolt.   So he can run fast.  so what?   He's been selling himself around the world to Soccer clubs.  Ummm.  I think there's more to playing soccer than just beating someone by .2 of a second Hussein.

He was down here for a 'try out' with some local 7th rate soccer team and the media were biting themselves to get interviews with the great man.  For about a week.
Then everyone realised that local schoolkids were better players and we only saw him in ads for deodorants or something.  

The club didn't pick up his option and he's choofed off to Europe to sell his running rep to clubs who want soccer players.

Good luck with your new career Hussein. 
Monty Python did a great bit on the Olympics. I think it was the Twit Olympics. Those guys couldn't jump over a stick. In that spirit:

"What? You could lift th discus off the ground?! Lucky you.
Couldn't hang on the bar,eh? I sprained my neck just looking up at it. Spent the rest of the day in the nurse's office.

I tried to float once, but i lacked the coordination for it. Did manage to crawl under the pommel horse once. It really hurt my knees. None of the other fellas could do it, evidently.
(12-04-2018, 03:45 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  The club didn't pick up his option and he's choofed off to Europe to sell his running rep to clubs who want soccer players.

That's not entirely right - they wanted to pick hi up, but he got a much better offer from Europe.

The trouble in Aussie was that the players are so shit that he was expected to provide strike power, but his soccer skills are about 8 year old level, and I mean an 8 year old sheep, not kid. Not a clue.
I'm not up to speed on the football deals, just going on the grabs heard about it. The European clubs can afford to waste more money than the Mickey Mouse outfits down here.
Not wrong there - the Aussie comp is a joke. Luckily, I can't stand the game.
Nor me!  drives me bloody nuts when they drop regular shows to run commentary of some wanky soccer match.  

There wouldn't be too many soccer fans in these regions,  the Koori kids play League and the white kids are all trying to be Cazaly.  AFL is surprisingly big up here.  The Swans move  into Coffs Hbr for a week or three over the break and do tutorials and talks and the kids turn up from hundreds of Ks around.

You remember Cazaly?
This "footy anthem" was from around the time that Sydney discovered that the Victorians had a hell of a game going on down there that we were missing out on ... just because we hated Melbourne. We still hate 'em but we're into their game big time.

Who'd watch a dozy bloody soccer match when this is on offer??