Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking
(12-27-2017, 10:14 PM)stanky Wrote:  I didn't know you smoked, Sparky!

Am I the only one who imagined this?

[Image: 5-causes-of-electrical-fires.jpg]

Best of luck sparks, on the no smoking thing.
The tentacles glow.
- stanky
"Shouldn't have done that!"
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
You're a baaaad man GM. [Image: grin-smiley-emoticon.gif] 
I smell something burning....

oh, never mind.

(it was just my ass.)
You know, in all  the years I've been dealing with broadcast transmitters I've never gotten into any voltages low or high.  Came damned close one day though.  Working on this old beast of a 5000 watt AM transmitter.  In order to test out a theory I had as to what the hell was wrong with it, I disconnected the fail-safe that discharges the high voltage supplies filter capacitor.  Now, don't worry about the technical shit:  What it comes down to is I tried this little test out thereby charging that part right up to about 13,000 volts, yet the fail -safe couldn't keep me safe because I'd purposefully done away with it.  So, ol' sparky is about to reach into the rig, and a little voice inside my head said, "I really ought to discharge the high voltage supply manually, just because it's good practice."  So, I grab the manual shorting stick and touch it to the naughy capacitor.

BANG!!!!!!

If I hadn't done that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be posting about it today.

Do you suppose it was my 'guardian angel' or a deceased relative who was looking out for my sorry ass? Smile
Nah, I'd put my dollar on it being the fact that you know your job well enough to cover all the bases.

A healthy respect for Murphy's law keeps a lot of people alive.
(02-23-2018, 07:15 PM)sparks Wrote:  ... So, ol' sparky is about to reach into the rig, and a little voice inside my head said, "I really ought to discharge the high voltage supply manually, just because it's good practice."  So, I grab the manual shorting stick and touch it to the naughy capacitor.

BANG!!!!!!

That was definitely Jesus.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Ironically enough,it'd be just like the sonofabitch to save me so he could send me to hell later when I'm older and even more decrepit. Smile
I wish we could recruit one token normal person here.

Maybe an ad?