Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extremists Have Won
In the past 24 hours, two stories from the exact opposite end of the spectrum have come out, and both show that extremism now rules.

Case 1 - a university that didn't realise wishing people a white Christmas was actually racist. They do now!

Case 2 - Trump's administration banning the CDC from using the words: transgender, foetus, science based and evidence-based, among others.

Both  positions are laughably stupid, yet here we are.

We talk about why moderate Islam doesn't rein in the loonies - how are we doing at the same job?
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I was about to mention the CDC thing.

Felt like the advent of the brain police.
So does that mean I'm forgiven for being 'Centrist'??   Rolleyes

Both alternatives are too bloody stupid to even consider.

I cracked a laugh at the banner of a 'Rightie' mag I got a link for the other day.

"Inside every Progressive there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out!"

True in part! but not of ALL of them!  Only the professional PC obsessed offenderati extremists.  

Not all Conservatives are fascists either, but the extreme elements of them are.

Shame to waste a seque here to something funny played as clangers of the year on a Political TV show here today.

I mention it to point out the different attitudes we take to politics here as opposed to how the US views it.

One of the far religious right factionists in the LNP, (this one is even 'extremer' than Abbott!) left the LNP 'cos it was Leftist  for his tastes. 
He swanned off and formed his own ultra conservative Party of one.  No other reps have even looked liked getting elected and he'll be out on his arse next time round too if sanity  prevails.

Anyway this extreme RC dickhead, Cory Bernardi, was interviewed on his opinion of Labor's senator, Shanghai Sam's foray into the double agent game for Uncle Xi.  

Remember this is the hardest, moralistically pious religious Right politician in Canberra...

Bernardi furrowed his brow in what he deems a statesmanlike expression of deep and meaningful thought,  and delivered the following clanger.

"It all depends on how deep his penetration was."  ... he paused at the realisation of what he'd said.

But he's Aussie, so he did what we do, he let a stupid grin spread over his face and proceeded to crack up and have a laugh about it along with all the journos there who were already doubled up laughing.

We just don't take it all so seriously down here.  Not even him!

I think it's the only time I've seen him laugh, and it was at himself. Imagine that from any US politicians?
Would not happen.

It emphasises the difference very nicely.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
My neighbor just stopped by and mentioned the CDC word censorship stuff. "Fetus" of course, is a bad word that needs to be 'unborn baby" or similar. We tossed around some alternative replacement words.

I kind of like "mature zygote".

Funny, this co-opting of language for nefarious purposes...
It should be such a familiar thing to us; it should set off alarms.

Don't people read?
Don't school kids have to read 1984 or Brave New World? Don't they have to study the Third Reich?

What the fuck do they do in school?
(12-17-2017, 10:27 AM)stanky Wrote:  Funny, this co-opting of language for nefarious purposes...

Don't people read?

Yes, but they aren't learning from them.

I suspect that the same instant gratification that drives 140 characters on Twatter and "reality" TV means they've forgotten what was read five minutes earlier.

(12-17-2017, 10:27 AM)stanky Wrote:  What the fuck do they do in school?

Take horny selfies.
(12-17-2017, 10:27 AM)stanky Wrote:  My neighbor just stopped by and mentioned the CDC word censorship stuff. "Fetus" of course, is a bad word that needs to be 'unborn baby" or similar. We tossed around some alternative replacement words.

I kind of like "mature zygote".

Funny, this co-opting of language for nefarious purposes...

Don't people read?
Don't school kids have to read 1984 or Brave New World? Don't they have to study the Third Reich?

What the fuck do they do in school?

You do realise that you just explained the reason that people like me loathe and detest the way the PC obsessed have hijacked the language to do exactly what you hate about the "Fascists" doing?   You do see that right??

I'm thoroughly confused about exactly which set of extremists 1984 was referring to!  It covers both!

Think about it, if anything the "progressives" are more intensely focused on forcing us to use 'new speak' than the bible bashers are!  
oh dear,  ...   I can feel a serious rant coming on here ..

It's not about who is the most virtuously motivated, it's about the verbally oppressive tactics being used to brainwash the gullible.
They're both using the same ones!

You can't say feotus? so what?  You can't even say someone is blind!.  or lame, or retarded, or queer, or black ... shit especially not black!   The sky will fall if anyone notices or worse, remarks upon, someone's particular shade of skin tone.

Is it just my twisted thinking that that rule in itself is pretty insulting?  That it implies that being black is so shameful that everyone must pretend that black people are not just to spare their feelings??   What the fuck is wrong with being black? 

Why is it deemed perfectly legitimate to term a white man who chucks a black family off their farm a White Supremacist but none must ever infer that people like Mugabe, who chuck  white families off their farms are Black Supremacists?   Are we sparing their feelings too?  Or pretending that only white people can be arseholes?  or what??  
What??

There's plenty said about Mugabe, but his activities are never attributed to the fact that he's black.  They would if he was white.

How about extending this while I'm still cranky enough to be silly? 
Is that basically why people are trying to stamp out 'fossil fuels'  .. is it because coal is black??  
Is that what it's all about? 
If it's insulting to black people to refer to snow as white then are we ridding the world of everything that can only be described as black to spare white people having to describe it without actually using the word  'black' ?

Maybe if they only saw wet coal which sometimes appears irridescent they could call it rainbow fuel and that would get them past their extreme anti black bias and allow us to just burn the bloody stuff to keep power costs down??  

This PC (and religious) bullshit has infiltrated every facet of our lives like friggin' cancer.

There is no difference in cloaking everything with imagined religious connotations  than with coating it with imagined racist and discriminatory connotations.   None!  both imagined and both used to build career empires for their 'shamans'.

Can we just call a spade a fucking shovel and get back to using the English language again??  Please ?

... yeah I have heaps more on this but breakfast calls.
In my case, at least,you're reading to much into this.

The reason we should lose the word 'fetus', for instance, is an example of an agenda that clearly seeks to remove a woman's right to abort.
Even if someone strongly believes that women should lose that right, which is a valid opinion to have, we should understand the purpose of said manipulation.

In the case of the Snow White thing, I can't imagine what that's about. Sounds like a joke. It's pretty goddamned silly.

Still, I don't think there's a valid equivalency. If people have become extra touchy about racism, it's partially due to the problem of racism in the U.S.

I hope we don't have to drag this out into the mud again.
It's clear that it remains an issue with you.

To me, the dichotomy of the two examples of the present insanity boil down this way:
1. We're not allowed to say nigger anymore.
2. Women are not allowed to choose.

They are qualitatively different....which is not to suggest that opposite opinions are not valid.
It's to suggest that in the case of the two examples, as representative of two diverse camps, one is more far reaching than the other.

Sexism in the U.S. is going through a purging event. Guys are losing gigs for being pigs. It's a PC thing; it may even go to far eventually...but it's something that had to happen. The same is true with racism. It's something we need to address. The PC extremes of it are a crappy reflection of an issue with reality backing it.Banning Snow White is crazy shit. It's the goofy extreme...which is why it made the news. The less goofy extreme is the reality of the shit sandwich blacks in America have generally been fed over a few centuries.

We ignore all this at our peril. Right or left, doesn't matter. Both sides have their fringe lunacy. Media loves that fringe.

The extreme non-PC version of Black Lives Matter (or whatever) is that it's ok to lynch niggers.
The extreme non-PC version of 'we shouldn't grope women' is that it's ok to rape them.

hence, we should be able to take the history into account when we attempt to apply equivalence to the two sides.

Perhaps the way I'm trying to frame this point is merely an expression of my predictable left-lean.
Maybe it's not quite that. Hopefully, it's an expression of seeing two sides.

And we're at an awkward interface, as a society.

In the case of gay rights stuff, we need to realize that queers have been tormented and even killed for their sexual proclivities.
In some nations, it's illegal to be gay. Punishable, legally.

Maybe that's a valid stance. But if it is, we should understand where it's coming from and own up to it.
There's people that would love to see a return to slavery. That's a valid opinion, however distasteful it is to me.

But it needs to own up to what it is.

The flip side is also true. If the goal of the uber-PC left is to create a world of enforced and exaggerated equality, leading to mandatory uniforms for all peoples, than it needs to own up to that.

As i see it, we're collectively attempting to climb out of the gutter.
I'd love to find some common ground in that.
https://sports.yahoo.com/antoine-griezmann-fire-blackface-basketball-costume-204006377.html
"Who's with me?." - stanky
Aaaand there it is.   did you miss this line?

Quote:
It's not about who is the most virtuously motivated,
it's about the verbally oppressive tactics being used to brainwash the gullible.

They're both using the same ones!

Go lecture someone who it will do some good.  The world isn't the American South and doesn't have your historical hang ups where everything is scanned for racist intent whether it has any or not.

Where I grew up if someone said they were going out to catch some niggers they were going fishing for Black Fish.

They were called Black fish because, well,  the buggers are black.  Niggers was something we picked up from you Yanks.  White kids with the name Black or Brown were nicknamed Nigger, and were called Chalky if their surname was White, even if they were black!

We called black people Abos or Boongs, but we don't now.  That's okay because it's rude anyway and I've never been tempted to use them as personal insult  to a person 'of colour' ever,  for that reason.   Like most I've used them as descriptors for groups in general among friends and family,  but I wouldn't dream of saying "hey, you Abo .. " to one within hearing!   it simply wouldn't cross my mind to say that.

It's not about personal perjorative terms,  get past that, don't be lazy and drop into your comfort zone of anti racist posturing thinking that it's the answer to everything and therefore the winner and no other opinions need be tolerated. 
Castor oil will cure constipation but too much of it will kill you, it's about the dosage, not the medicine.. get that??

PCness has become extreme because it's been allowed to extend well beyond pertaining to people at all. It's gone well beyond protection from 'hate speech' and become ludicrous.

How about "Baa baa Rainbow sheep??"   sheep were having nervous breakdowns if they were black?

What about Black Angus cattle?  Where's the love for them? 
Jesus, where's the "Melanin Enhanced Angus" name change for them??
 Imagine how appalling it must be for them see burger and meat pie wrappers with "Black Angus Beef" printed on them?!

What do you have against Black Angus cattle??  Huh?  do you hate them because you're a weirdo vegan or something??   .. no, ..  and I'm not a friggin' racist either.

If you're okay with some git suggesting we should call forks "pronged eating implements" because fork makes people think of crotches then I just bleedin' well give up!!