Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Drowning Thread
(Yesterday, 06:13 PM)stanky Wrote:  Being thrown from a boat, and being entangled in a 'strainer' rapid, is one of those moments when you get to feel very alive.
It forces you to think very fast.
Or, not think at all.

I bet it does, but no problem for me, I have an inflexible rule for boats - they must be powered and have the ability to do over 30 knots.

I love the water, but I love fishing more.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I get it, TA.

Still, everyone has some stories about when they were closest to death?

Of course, those are the stories I long to hear.

I'm sure you have a few. I'm sure we all do.

Don't we?

It can't be just me.
I'm radically un-special.
But those special moments, facing death, is the most alive we can ever hope for.

Maybe I'm insane...a distinct possibility.
Another drowning today - at a beach that nobody with half a brain ever swims at, so I almost think of those ones as Darwin winners.

(Yesterday, 09:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  Still, everyone has some stories about when they were closest to death?

I have several. Most of them involve trucks.

Three of the occasions were saved by my insanely fast reactions, while another was saved through blind, stupid luck. Another occasion was down to pure skill behind the wheel. The first occurred when I was 25 and I've felt that all the days since then have been bonus time for me.

(Yesterday, 09:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  But those special moments, facing death, is the most alive we can ever hope for.

I don't understand that at all. Grateful to be alive afterwards, but at the time, the only thought I've had is "This is it, I'm going to die."
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(11 hours ago)The Atheist Wrote:  Another drowning today - at a beach that nobody with half a brain ever swims at, so I almost think of those ones as Darwin winners.

(Yesterday, 09:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  Still, everyone has some stories about when they were closest to death?

I have several. Most of them involve trucks.

Three of the occasions were saved by my insanely fast reactions, while another was saved through blind, stupid luck. Another occasion was down to pure skill behind the wheel. The first occurred when I was 25 and I've felt that all the days since then have been bonus time for me.

(Yesterday, 09:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  But those special moments, facing death, is the most alive we can ever hope for.

I don't understand that at all. Grateful to be alive afterwards, but at the time, the only thought I've had is "This is it, I'm going to die."

Reminds of an interview with that jockey (may Frankie De Torre or whatever?) around a decade ago.

Apparently the plane had lost power and was gliding steadily earthwards and all were bracing themselves for imminent demise when the engine/s kicked over and they didn't crash.

When asked "What were your feelings at the time.."? He gave an unexpected answer. "I felt deeply disappointed."

And that really set me thinking that those not too terrified to think, or those who wasted their last moments on prayer, would feel rather shitty about it all ending without notice. And having a few moment to ponder the planned future you would feel pretty damned disappointed.

I'd just never heard anyone who'd had a close shave ever say that. Nor ever since. But somehow it seemed to me to be the most honest reply of them all.