Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indonesia's Orang Rimba: Forced to renounce their faith
Indonesia's Orang Rimba: Forced to renounce their faith 

Quote:The Sumatran rainforests of Indonesia are home to the Orang Rimba - the people of the jungle. Their faith and nomadic way of life are not recognised by the state and, as their forests are destroyed to make way for palm oil plantations, many are being forced to convert to Islam to survive.

The Islamic Defenders Front - a vigilante group whose leader is facing charges of inciting religious violence - helped facilitate the conversion.

Ustad Reyhan, from the Islamic missionary group Hidayatullah, has stayed to make sure the new faith is practised.

"For now we are focusing on the children. It's easier to convert them - their mind isn't filled with other things. With the older ones it's harder," he says.
The tentacles glow.
- stanky
Yep. Get 'em while they're young you Islamic sonofabitch.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
[Image: 95611e35017d080aee76b73a9a44546e--anti-r...pinion.jpg]
The tentacles glow.
- stanky
Nice work. I think I'm going to get that on a t-shirt.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
More from Indonesia:

Indonesian family of bombers 'had been to Syria'

Quote:A mother and two daughters blew themselves up at a church, while the father and two sons targeted two others in Indonesia's second city, Surabaya.
Police identified the father as Dita Oepriarto, saying he was the head of a local JAD cell.

He reportedly dropped off his wife, Puji Kuswati, and their two daughters at Diponegoro Indonesian Christian Church, where they blew themselves up. The girls - aged 9 and 12 - had bombs strapped to them, as did their mother.

Oepriarto then drove off, launching his own bomb-laden car into the grounds of Surabaya Centre Pentecostal Church, police said.

The sons - aged 16 and 18 - rode motorcycles into Santa Maria Catholic Church, and detonated explosives they were carrying. It was their attack that came first, at around 07:30 local time (00:30 GMT). The other two attacks followed five minutes apart, police said.
The tentacles glow.
- stanky
People are reluctant to let go of the notion of a supreme commander of the universe, in my experience.
It comforts them, like netflix or video games.

Occasionally, i consider if the solution to this dilemma might be in the concept of accepting god as a monster?
It's a different strategy than convincing people that there is no god....when, in fact, there's an outside chance there is one...according to the very strict tenants of the agnostic faith.

Baby steps?

Yes, he is real...but he's a right shit of a fella...and i have evidence?

Yeah, I see your point, what with that volcano and all...

And then the whole exercise becomes more like a divorce from that holy matrimony person you pledged allegiance to and later regretted, in spite of all the cool toaster ovens and bed-sheets...which is relatable...without having to commit to some huge definitive statement about the existence (or not) of god.(Or gods)

Instead, you just get sick of it.

You're still a theist, but you have a firm belief that god sucks. He's real, but a huge disappointment.
Praying to him or following his rules amounts to paying a shake down mafia thug.

But he remains real in your mind.
and you hate him.

but you're not an atheist exactly.
At that point,you're an anti-theist and you start plotting how to kill god.

which won't be easy.

(he's still 100 feet tall at that point.)

anyway,

god bless everyone.
What we need now is a few Catholics and Fundy families to blow themselves up in Mosques and it will be a win/win all round.

sorry, but this stuff goes on in Indo all the time, they took out 82 Aussies in a Bali bar a while back. If there hadn't been a Syria/Turkey link it probably would have made page 3.

America frets over Mexico? Try living next door to Indo!
(05-13-2018, 09:58 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  America frets over Mexico?  Try living next door to Indo!

Partly thanks to Neville Shute, I've noticed Australia's paranoia towards Indonesia all my life.

Kind of like how we feel about Aussie, although they are just buying us out and sucking all the cash across the ditch. In the long run, that will probably kill more people than jihadis anyway.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
We are a bit paranoid about them. Some Indo expert made a point that considering it is the biggest Islamic nation in the world, 250 million of 'em, compared to other Islamic populations the terrorist incidents are comparatively very low.

They seem worse to us because of the proximity perhaps.

So far their government is secular and very Westernised but then so was Syria's
(05-14-2018, 07:16 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  So far their government is secular and very Westernised but then so was Syria's

Still is. At least what's left of it.

Turkey's a better example - over a century of secular government that has taken a sharp turn towards the Islamic.