Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point A and Point B
There are obviously a variety of opinions to be expressed by humans; possibly billions.
For the sake of ease in dialog, and even journalism, we can reduce these myriad opinions into two camps:

A. The correct one.

B. The other one.

Like most people, I align myself with the correct opinion. Only a fool would claim allegiance to the B camp.

Like most people, I'm offended by such simplistic categorizations, and insist that my own opinions come from a more nuanced and educated approach.
In fact, I go the next mile in this regard in claiming to be oddly open minded and willing to expose the foibles of my own potential prejudices. I'm all over all of this. Bigly.

I'm the Donald Trump of open-mindedness. Probably the most open-minded person ever. Trust me.
(Co-incidental side-bar: I'm also a great wall builder. I build great walls. Of stone. I did not build the Great Wall of China, btw, but i could have except I wasn't born back then.)

Here's the problem with the two opinions in the world:

It is important that one understands the facts of their opinions.

Let us suppose that there are two equally valid teams we can choose to side with....neither is right or wrong...both are equally valid.

But what if a fan of team A is a fan of team A based on inadequate or misleading statistics about team A?
What if I choose team B, based on false data?

It doesn't matter what the two teams represent.
It could be the team that believes celebrity A is the most beautiful celebrity of all time, based on the belief that team B's celebrity had augmenting tit surgery, and team A's did not.

But what if the truth is that they both had boob jobs?

Where does that leave us?

At war with ourselves?
Doubting everything?
Alienating friends over pointless interpretations of shitty data?

Blowing up the world over which side you butter the bread on?
Or if Dr Zeuss was possibly Dr. Evil?

In a typical example of team A and team B, we have science and religion.
Never mind which team I'm with...the finer point of this point is:

The Biblical scholar needs to know his shit.
And the science scholar needs to know his shit.

How can we trust our choice of teams if we can'T trust the descriptions of what those teams stand for? 
This is a last-ditch attempt by me to explain the sudden departure of significant voices here that have departed.
In the case of Di, she and I had been through the mill and had developed a mutual fondness despite our surface political level disagreements.

Our on going debates raised the bar, imho...and we were able to appreciate each other's innate intelligence and proclivity for writing stuff.
Same was true wit me and Shiner. We were fairly compatible mates.

Suddenly, something went south.
What changed?
Me?

No. I'm the same asshole as always.
Something else changed.
It wasn't me. I didn't suddenly become a dick.
Nor did they suddenly become idiotic.

It was something else at work...a background noise of divisiveness. That's my opinion in the explanation of all this.
A third party of noise. Not a person; a back ground noise.

This is the problem I'd hope to address...though it might be too late.
Nothing much changed about Di and me, for instance. Or Shiner and me.
There is another factor in this, and it is one that should be of concern to all of us.

What could that be?
I didn't suddenly became a hateful cunt.
My friends didn't suddenly became brain-dead pawns.

Whatever the new factor is, it seems to be spreading throughout the world, like a weird virus.

And now, it's possibly too late to address within the format of this bold experiment.

My hope is that Di, at least, might still be lurking here.
That possibly she will recall our better natures and debates, and return for the good of us all.

Her absence is such as to make my contribution here fairly pointless.
I thrive on debate. Mutual admiration societies have never interested me.

Even my fights with Sparky fall within the fights of two people that are both dedicated followers of science and both in agreement in most everything of political bent. We are both progressives. In fact, everyone remaining here is in agreement on social issues.

It even appears that O.G. has departed.

Where do we go from here?
(11-02-2017, 11:09 AM)stanky Wrote:  No. I'm the same asshole as always.
Something else changed.
It wasn't me. I didn't suddenly become a dick.
Nor did they suddenly become idiotic.

It was something else at work...a background noise of divisiveness. That's my opinion in the explanation of all this.
A third party of noise. Not a person; a back ground noise.

What I suggest is that if you want to find an answer, you'd need to look at your posts and see what you said that could have caused such a reaction.

(11-02-2017, 11:09 AM)stanky Wrote:  It even appears that O.G. has departed.

Where do we go from here?

Me, Grayman and Sparks posting funny religious memes.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I've seen my words.
Nothing new.
I know my intent.
Same old same old.

I dig the funny memes,

My inclination is a deeper digging.
Maybe it's all my fault?

(Kind of doubt that. If so, I should be more careful with my super-powers.)

Truth is, I'm more inclined to tone back the background nasty.
Quite possibly, I'm delusional in that regard.

My guess is that you'll crave some meat with the funny memes.

Maybe not.
I honestly don't know if I've become relatively inappropriate here.
If I'm running people off, I'd rather run me off.

The option of a heart felt self-examination, followed by some behavioral changes on my part?

What would that leave us?
A less cynical BSB?
A more educated Arthwollipot?

the stench of stanky is pre-refined and honed in.
it's the best stank we can ask for.

vetted to the max.
Still, I should know if I should stay or go. i don't know.
(i do know that i will remain this stanky....in fact, if anything, I'm apt to get even stankier.

Please tell me.

if I bailed, would this site be better off?
Would my absence encourage new blood?
Or the return of old blood?

I have no idea.

I'd do a poll thread if I knew how.

I need to know, people:

should i stay or should I go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM
Your decision stank. But I encourage you to stay. I predict Di and Shiner will return. I doubt OG will, however. For someone who lurked for a year by her own admission, she really didn't see what this place is all about.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I want to say "thanks, Sparky", but the truth is, I'm after the truth.
I'm not after anyone saying shit like 'yeah, stank. stay. If you bailed out, this place would suck".

it's quite possible that I make this place suck.
That's a new paradigm for me...I've always wallowed in the knowledge of being a guy that entertained other intellects.
I have no self-awareness of myself as a Bozo.

Between me and me, we've always been really intelligent guys.

And we aren't even twins.

Suddenly, I'm Ronald McDonald.
Senile.

A fucking clown.

And I don't even eat burgers.

I'm left stranded, frankly.
(11-02-2017, 07:35 PM)stanky Wrote:  if I bailed, would this site be better off?
Would my absence encourage new blood?
Or the return of old blood?

No, no & no.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(11-02-2017, 11:09 AM)stanky Wrote:  This is a last-ditch attempt by me to explain the sudden departure of significant voices here that have departed.
In the case of Di, she and I had been through the mill and had developed a mutual fondness despite our surface political level disagreements.

Our on going debates raised the bar, imho...and we were able to appreciate each other's innate intelligence and proclivity for writing stuff.

Look, she's sitting right there in her chair by the swimming pool, watching us have fun. 
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.