Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stanky's extreme engineering dumping ground:
Lego without limits on display at science and tech museum

[Image: nathan-sawaya.jpg]
The tentacles glow.
- stanky
I wish Lego was around when I was a kid. Girls weren't allowed to play with Meccano but we may have gotten away with Lego.
Uh, Lego was around when you were a kid - has been since 1949, and I'm pretty sure you ain't past 70 yet.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Am so! 72 at last count and if it was around I never saw any.
Me neither, and I'm younger than you.

(Holy shit girl, shouldn't you be dead yet?)

We had Tinker Toys and they were swell.
I'd suggest that they were superior to legos.

The hubs implied hexagonal structures...like graphene.
We also had erector kits and mini-chem labs via "Gilbert" toys.

We also had Lincoln Logs, which fairly sucked, because you could only make boxes with them.

There's new toys for kids that are really great...but I don't think they want to play with them.
They want to play with computers instead.

Understandable. But sad, in a way.
Yeah, I should, I'm 12 years past the family average already, and I smoke!

Good that you didn't see any Lego either. There were some kind of those chemistry sets, ... for boys! ... but I wasn't interested in them.
Nor in the stupid dolls, and toy prams, and would you believe I once was given a toy washing board for Xmas??!
I remember the Tinker toy trucks. One boy visiting brought his with him and there was a fairly good fight on over it. I won but it was taken off me immediately.
I was an only child, I didn't understand the concept of sharing .. but then neither did he.

That's one aspect of PCness that I'm on board with, that girl's should be allowed to access the toys that interest them, not just what is deemed suitable for them as future domestic drudges and baby factories.

It doesn't mean that pink and blue should be bebanned nor that strict gender neutering of products be involved, just let 'em choose!
That washboard you got turns out to be a valid instrument in blue-grass music.
Another common tool that is also an instrument is the saw.

Those early chemistry sets were pretty liberal with the contents. (No more)

You could blow up shit with them if you studied a bit.

The new chemistry kit in the U.S. is the meth lab.
Or for more serious kids, the mdma lab.

But yeah, most of us don't see pop culture the moment it emerges.
I first encountered McDonald's in 1966. It was amazing!

The add claimed that you and your date could have the all-American meal for less than a buck! And it was true. They only sold 3 things, and they all cost 15 cents...hamburger, french fries, and milk shake...all 15 cents. Times two was 90 cents. Even with the tax, you got a few cents in change from that dollar.

(The cheese option on the burger wold set you back an extra nickel. And the shakes came in van-choc-straw options; same price. 15 cents.)

It was the beginning of the end. It was irresistible. You didn't even have to wait very long.
Nothing could compete with that concept. It's where aimless teens that could borrow daddy's car would go to find out where the party was that night.
There was no party, generally...it was the idea that there might be one that brought the kids out in droves, to hang out in the parking lot, under those golden arches...arches that supported nothing.

It was a unique concept in architecture as well. Arches of gold that served no function. Architecturally speaking. And the golden aspect, of course, was plastic.

I've never had a "Big Mac" to this day...but I really want one.
(05-15-2018, 07:09 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Good that you didn't see any Lego either.

It was definitely around in the UK from 1960 on, so I'm picking it took a few years to make it across the Atlantic, then Pacific.

Best toy ever made.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Don't fret for the Big Mac, it was one of life's greater disappointments. Mum made better rissoles and she didn't put disgusting pickles on them.
(05-16-2018, 12:47 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Don't fret for the Big Mac, it was one of life's greater disappointments.  Mum made better rissoles and she didn't put disgusting pickles on them.

The pickles pale into comparison to the yellow puke they squirt in some of their burgers and call it mustard.