Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American cricket gets ready for take-off
That is a great movie. Thanks Prez.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Hell yeah.

Ken Kesey

"Where'dya get all that hair?"  "Well, it grows."
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
During my recent flight on my day off, we spent the evening attending this game:

[Image: 24247824388_19433707ac.jpg]

[Image: 26323591839_8604434c40.jpg]
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
Australia v India: Tourists claim first Test win in Australia since 2008

Oz must be devastated.
This corner of it isn't. Not a cricket fan. But the rest aren't all that bothered either, we didn't expect to win.

The Captain and vice Capt are still suspended for cheating, the coach had to resign for letting them, the days of us being top at cricket are long gone. The best of what's left are following the Indian money in the short forms of the game.

Test cricket is "grandpa's" game now. Sure we're sad that the game isn't what it used to be, nor are we, but we're more resigned than disappointed.

Don't write the Indians off either, they have been turning out some of the best cricketers ever. Getting beaten by them is not all that shameful.
Sadly, I doubt cricket will ever find any popularity here in the U.S.

The fact that it seems a gentlemanly game may have something to do with it. Americans want violence, brawls, and explosions.
Yes, so do we, but we kept cricket to remind us what bogans we are when playing other games. Unfortunately we've now got the reputation of being bogans at cricket too.

Americans may warm to the short form games, the 20/twenty limited overs matches. They're faster and the batting is more aggressive rather than defensive as in the longer test matches. They get boooooring.
The newer forms of cricket are closer to baseball paced and also backed by Indian billions for marketing so they'll be giving it a fair old try at getting America interested.

There are some AFL teams playing in America. We had an American on the Swans team, and a Canadian so cricket's not beyond possible.
(12-11-2018, 06:56 AM)grayman Wrote:  Australia v India: Tourists claim first Test win in Australia since 2008

Oz must be devastated.

Crying towels have sold out all across the British Commonwealth.

From cricket fans laughing their heads off. Nobody loses to India outside India. Last time they were here they warmed up against St Margaret's Girls' High School and lost by an innings.

(12-11-2018, 08:08 AM)grayman Wrote:  Sadly, I doubt cricket will ever find any popularity here in the U.S.

The fact that it seems a gentlemanly game may have something to do with it. Americans want violence, brawls, and explosions.

Yet you have baseball, which isn't exactly a contact sport. I guess they have the odd all-in slap fight.

There are no gentlemen in Australia and haven't been since Allan Border retired in the '80s, but it is quite gentlemanly in some other parts of the world.

NZ for instance. We're the nice guys of cricket.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
"Nice guys finish last."

Now tell 'em how nice the All Blacks are and invite 'em over for a game