Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news for once!
(08-09-2019, 12:32 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  Classic example of that effect right here.

The land becomes too unstable for a road, so it reverts to nature. Pity that includes nicely invasive noxious weeds we brought here, but hey...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/114852357/mothballed-manawat-gorge-highway-drawing-trampers-despite-risk

That's beautiful. And i see a river paralleling the lost hi-way.
TA, do you do any canoeing? Looks like lots of opportunity there.

I brought my kids on a few multi-day floats. It was great. They've even forgiven me.
(08-09-2019, 08:23 PM)stanky Wrote:  That's beautiful. And i see a river paralleling the lost hi-way.

Yep, the road is cut into the side of the gorge the river created.

(08-09-2019, 08:23 PM)stanky Wrote:  TA, do you do any canoeing? Looks like lots of opportunity there.

I brought my kids on a few multi-day floats. It was great. They've even forgiven me.

For all the water we have, good canoe spots are few & far between. That river shoals a fair bit and you'd be carrying the canoe a lot.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
there's something about floating down a river for a week that is extra special.
it's my favorite.
as long as the river is fairly wild.

Not seeing other humans is always a thrill. Because i guess i hate humans.
Not really. It's more about seeing wildlife.

If you want to see wildlife, you need to be quiet.
If you're with other people, there will be talking.
And you won't see shit.

Solo capers allow silence.
When I'm alone, i never talk to myself, out loud.
I talk to myself, constantly, like we all do, inside my head.

But wildlife evidently doesn't hear my mental chatter.
On the topic of "Good news" ... Brazil's President has worked out their best solution to emissions reduction.

https://news.yahoo.com/poop-less-cleaner-planet-says-brazils-president-195014136.html

Quote:Brasília (AFP) - Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro suggested Friday that people "poop every other day" as a way to save the environment, after he came under fire for a surge in deforestation of the Amazon since he came to power.

Great stuff!  At last, something we can all do to save the planet.
(08-11-2019, 07:11 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  On the topic of "Good news" ...

I'm not sure confirmation the president of the country charged with protecting the largest rainforest on the planet is a raving fucking loony as batshit-crazy as Trump makes the good news tag.

But hey, logging is only up 88% year on year after one year, so how bad can it be?

(A: much, much worse)
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Yeahbutyeahbut ... prioritiies man!  Cattle farts trump avgas emissions in the Greens manifesto ergo  the Brazilian's fearless mental giant leader is entitled to suggest crapping trumps clear felling the oxygen factory on the environmental damage scale.  tch.  sounds legit. [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

eerrrrr, you did notice the dripping sarcasm??    I'd be upset at being tagged an enviro vandal as well as racist.
Shit next I'll be accused of voting Conservative! ... oh ...Confused
I think the two dumbest things humans are up to is clearing the Amazon, and putting tons of plastics into the ocean.
#3 would be mindless reproduction.
and then nukes.
I'll go with 1,2, and 3.
Particularly 1 .. but 2 is close behind, 3 will be taken care of by either 1,2, or both and maybe by 4

But nukes have probably done more good than harm so far anyway. The threat of them has kept the lid on a few issues that could have gotten nasty.
They haven't stopped wars, but they've stopped big ones. ...again, so far.

Don't see how you can do much about them anyway, the genie is out of the bottle on that.