Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee Camp: I Am Boycotting The NFL & You Should Too
(09-20-2017, 08:54 PM)stanky Wrote:  So far, I'm too stupid to find the offense in his gesture.
And you somehow have.

I sense that it has nothing to do with race?

And I'm too stupid to work out how you've concluded that I'm offended in any way by the actions of a stage actor.

I find offense in illogical reasoning. 
"Nobody should pin their hopes on a miracle": Vladimir Putin
(09-20-2017, 08:54 PM)stanky Wrote:  Do i need to love football to understand this?

Nope. You just need to accept that it's the product of an entertainment company. A business, not a public service.

A private enterprise with massive focus on public image, not a political party with any agenda. (or if it has one, it ain't for the hired help to be fussing with)

That's all.

There is no requirement to like facts, but refusal to accept them is not conducive to constructive conversation.

America's racism has nothing to do with the fact that a man made himself undesirable to his potential employers/managers. Happens all the time.

Has anyone asked Kaepernick if he supports the support for this non issue?
If people want to boycott the NFL, I can think of some legitimate causes to get behind.

The Aaron Hernandez case just took an interesting turn.

For the uninitiated, he was a big star at the New England Patriots.

High school and college football champion, one of the youngest to attain an NFL starting roster.  2nd year in he signed a $40 million/ 5 year contract. The following year (2013) he murdered a mate over some stupid gangster thug bullshit and was sent to prison for life.  He killed himself earlier this year.

It's been found in autopsy that he had severe C.T.E

Quote:C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, can be diagnosed only posthumously. Hernandez is the latest former N.F.L. player to have committed suicide and then been found to have C.T.E., joining Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Waters, Ray Easterling and Jovan Belcher, among others. Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest, apparently so that researchers would be able to examine their brain. Hernandez was found hanging in his prison cell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/sports/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Hernandez

If you take the time to read the NYT article, you'll get a feel for the puritanical bent of the NFL.
(09-21-2017, 06:54 PM)Shiner Wrote:  If people want to boycott the NFL, I can think of some legitimate causes to get behind.

The Aaron Hernandez case just took an interesting turn.

I saw that, too.

His brain was fucked. Ain't that a surprise?

This whole brain damage business has some pigeons to come back to roost for both league & union, too.

In rugby, it would have been very rare to suffer a brain injury 30 years ago - the way the game was played didn't have the immense amount of physical contact it does now, and players are over 50% heavier in the backs. I watched a game the other day and I reckon every single forward should have been scanned for brain injury during the game.

Two were, and both removed from play.

I'm glad none of my kids like the game or want to play it.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Shiner, I'm struggling to see my irrationality in the debate.
I like Lee Camp; you think he's an idiot.
Mostly, it doesn't matter.

There's bigger issues that confront us.
Yet, we tend to focus on the distractions of the non-issues.

I find NFL style football to be a boring and stupid game.
It's popularity here is a sure sign of my own madness.

Hence, I yield to cooler heads.
NFL players don't hold back in responding to President Trump's comments on protests
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
Another idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd say he's jealous of the NFL's income stream. (they have history)

Here's what the clown said.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/22/donald-trump-nfl-national-anthem-protests
Quote:In 1985, the USFL voted to move from a spring to a fall schedule in 1986 to compete directly with the NFL. This was done at the urging of New Jersey Generals majority owner Donald Trump and a handful of other owners as a way to force a merger between the leagues. As part of this strategy, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the National Football League in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3.[sup][2][/sup] This court decision effectively ended the USFL. The league never played the 1986 season, and by the time it folded, it had lost over US$163 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League
Interesting. I had forgotten about the USFL and Trump's involvement.
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
The NFL has a few words on the subject: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nfl-trump-players_us_59c66aa3e4b01cc57ff28771?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.