Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee Camp: I Am Boycotting The NFL & You Should Too

..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
Lee Camp is obviously an idiot. Knows fuck-all about the subject he chose to rant about.

McDonald's (for example) hold their employees to certain standards. Those would include uniform codes and standards of public behavior associated with said uniform. When little Colin staged his silly protest, he was representing his employer and wearing the uniform he was being paid (Millions) to wear.

NFL is a brand. Pure and simple. 'San Francisco 49ers' is also a brand, as is every other team in the game.  They aren't the government. They aren't required to offer equal employment opportunities, or to allow their employees to make cheap political statements. They don't want idiots like Kaepernick representing their brand.  There are 100 other guys who can play the same position and they're willing to tow the line.

You protest your employer at your own fucking risk.  The trouble maker can't get a job. Go fucking figure.

Kaepernick should have been a rapper if he wanted to take the cheap route to notoriety.

[Image: 090116_kaep_1920x1080_756330051700.jpg?itok=75buZNcV]

Not at all surprised by the rhetoric though.  It's very fucking predictable these days.

Here's another way to address things.

"Nobody should pin their hopes on a miracle": Vladimir Putin
Well put Shiner. You put the uniform on, you represent the "company", live by company rules, or find another job. I have no patience for the inflammatory rhetoric from the "oppressed" that make a gazillion dollars to play a game. Kaepernick and the rest of the alleged protesters should be booted from the NFL in my not so humble opinion.
Why do we sing the National Anthem at sporting events?

How Did The National Anthem Get To Be A Mainstay Of Sports In The First Place?

Players are encouraged but not required to stand for national anthem
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .-. ..- -- .--.
didn't check grayman's links yet, but i was going to say that we endure the flip side of this protest gesture all the time.

Seems a double standard is being expressed. We barely notice when sporting events morph into adds for the military, but we lose our shit if the go 'snowflake'.
Same is true of religious gestures in sports. They get a wash.

Imagine a sports hero that was proactively atheistic?
I probably should have been more specific. The national anthem sitting/kneeling was just him grandstanding when he knew his career was going down the toilet.

The 49ers and the NFL both said (on the day he first did it) that he had that right. Why this bloke with the YouTube channel thinks he has a point, is beyond me.

As with the pig socks stunt he pulled a few times, no rules were broken, because none are written, but he broke the trust of 32 teams, apparently.

I'd call it a 'body of work'. Nobody (32 teams) wanted him. Go figure.

Fined for defying sponsorship agreement (no doubt making a profit)

Fined for defying weeks old warning on conduct    (NFL: Zero tolerance for racial slurs)

The Pig Socks

When you're being paid millions of dollars to be a role model....
(09-20-2017, 07:17 AM)stanky Wrote:  didn't check grayman's links yet, but i was going to say that we endure the flip side of this protest gesture all the time.

Seems a double standard is being expressed. We barely notice when sporting events morph into adds for the military, but we lose our shit if the go 'snowflake'.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. A point not lost on me. But first the straw.

He wasn't sacked. No action was taken against him for his protesting and statements.

He can't get a job because nobody trusts him. That's all there is to it in my opinion.

Word is that Colin Kaepernick is not a stupid man. You can't tell me he wasn't aware of the possible (probable in hindsight) repercussions of his actions.

Quote:Same is true of religious gestures in sports. They get a wash.

NFL is clean, wholesome, all American apple pie, blessed by Jesus..... USA USA, USA! You take the money, you play your part, and you eat shit, or fuck off.  Just like the Mouseketeers.

These are some of the richest sporting clubs on Earth. It doesn't matter where you work though, if you use your employment to make controversial political statements, you're going to be looking elsewhere.

49ers reckon it was a coach decision, but they gave him the opt out.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/

Quote:Imagine a sports hero that was proactively atheistic?

Wouldn't be a good career move. (in the NFL)
Confession to Shiner:

I don't really follow sports, so i had no knowledge of the guy's history or desirability as a jock....only the periphery news.
Same with Tim Tebow. he did weird Christian posing; possibly sucked.

Hence, perhaps my point was pointless.
Had I had a pointed point, it would have been something like this:

"Oh, look at all the anti-snowflake cry-babies! They feel so threatened is some one hurts there poor little anti-snowflake feelings. Boo hoo.
Maybe the NFL should provide counseling for any fans or players that have been traumatized by this violent gesture of that kind not standing at attention for the anthem."

I guess you get the point i could have had.

Twisty shit. And everyday there's a news story about some pro-athlete going off on some woman or killing dogs or doping with drugs. We're immune to that part.

Don't get me wrong...I hate the uber PC shit that is going on...but I think it's exaggerated as hell....and we should be more concerned by the flip side.

In the U.S., there's a huge rise in the number of Christian Fascist organizations that have convinced themselves that the white race in America is under a vast assault. These groups are super-insulated from outside influences of history; science; actual global current events; etc.
The idea that people like me are trying to take away their rights is laughable.
The precise opposite is true.
(09-20-2017, 08:48 AM)Shiner Wrote:  Word is that Colin Kaepernick is not a stupid man. You can't tell me he wasn't aware of the possible (probable in hindsight) repercussions of his actions.

Maybe he thought the problem was so great that it was bigger than him. I refuse to stand for our national anthem and get some funny looks, but nobody's ever said anything to me about it. Wise choice.

I always wished Tommy Smith and Juan Carlos had held their heads high when they gave the Black Power salute in 1968.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Good on ya', T.A.

Of course, as you might imagine, refusing to stand for the anthem in NZ is probably not as ribald as it is here.

I've resolved the issue by avoiding any events wherein the National Anthem is apt to be played.

(Is that cheating?)

I'm not a flag waver, in general.

I think it's in poor taste to plant one on the moon.
It smacks of claiming property for your queen.

The moon should have been off limits for that, imho.

But who knows?

Maybe the first flag on Mars will be the Confederate flag?

Oh shit...just realized, I'm assuming their aren't any flags on Mars yet...but there could be.

I hate that the non-religious succumb to calling the Pope or the Dalai Lama "Your Holiness".
The few times I've been before a judge, I refused to call him "Your Honor".

I'm not 'your honor'. Why should he be? Especially if I happen to know what a slime ball he is?

I'd personally love to see more expressions of rejection of various nationalistic gestures that we're essentially coerced into doing with or without any sincerity.

Rejecting titles of nobility was a decent start, and part of the nature of the new country where I live.

I'll pledge allegiance to the Earth, if asked to. I'd even be ok praising the sun as a god, of sorts. It is a giver of life, and it's really big, and we all have the same one. So that would be ok.

Being proud of a flag somehow engages the co-commitment of disdaining the other flags.

Fuck pride. And fuck hollow gestures of respect. Respect must be earned. Coerced respect is dangerous.