Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quantum reconstruction
Wired has an amusing article about a movement among some theoretical physicists (roughly 25%) to reconstruct quantum mechanics from anew approach. Worth a look:

https://www.wired.com/story/physicists-want-to-rebuild-quantum-theory-from-scratch/
I'm presuming that this was not meant to be read by me.  So I'll pretend not to have read it.  

All I can say is if Sparks doesn't approve of it then it's just all wrong.  

Can't imagine why I found " pulled out of a hat" in this paragraph amusing.

Quote:Quantum theory was empirically motivated, and its rules were simply ones that seemed to fit what was observed. It uses mathematical formulas that, while tried and trusted, were essentially pulled out of a hat by the pioneers of the theory in the early 20th century.

Sparks is gonna go ballistic at that one!
If they come up with something that models reality better than what we've got now, more power to them.

I reserve the right to remain skeptical...
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
quantum mechanics is compatible with your skepticism.
I should certainly hope so. If it weren't, that'd mean I'm from a different ... a parallel, if you will... reality. Smile Imagine how that makes me feel! Have you no compassion? Smile

What strange new reality that has such people in it!!11Eleventy
One of the potential ut comes of this 'reconstruction' is the emergence of an even more fundamental underlying set of laws or rules that go deeper than qm.
I enjoy that the geeks most enthusiastic about this were also not very optimistic about it.
I like the notion that enthusiasm and lack of optimism can coincide.

It's as if the dualities of of QM have infected these scientists minds.
(09-03-2017, 12:50 PM)stanky Wrote:  One of the potential ut comes of this 'reconstruction' is the emergence of an even more fundamental underlying set of  laws or rules that go deeper than qm.
I enjoy that the geeks most enthusiastic about this were also not very optimistic about it.
I like the notion that enthusiasm and lack of optimism can coincide.

It's as if the dualities of of QM have infected these scientists minds.

the operators of complementary variables in QM do not commute, so "enthusiasm" x "lack of optimism" does not equal "lack of optimism" x "enthusiasm"  Big Grin
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
BWAHAHAAAA....

Chalk one up for the Prez.