Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did we use leaded petrol for so long?
Why did we use leaded petrol for so long?

It is still used in avgas (100 low-lead aircraft fuel), but researchers are trying to find a usable substitute. 
"Feckin' slaboriosity, i tell you." - stanky
great article
Profit.

Plain and simple.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
The same reason all the good natural drugs are illegal.
"Nobody should pin their hopes on a miracle": Vladimir Putin
Not quite all of them, Shiner.

(I don't want to rat them out.)

You could pm me for details, but it might not be safe.
(08-28-2017, 05:31 PM)sparks Wrote:  Profit.

Plain and simple.

Amen.

Mammon is the one true god.

(08-28-2017, 07:11 PM)stanky Wrote:  Not quite all of them, Shiner.

(I don't want to rat them out.)

You could pm me for details, but it might not be safe.

Perfectly safe here, mate - especially if you're talking about drugs that are legal, so go ahead.

The only ones I know of are salvia divinorum, filed under "No way, no how", catnip, which is pleasant but short-lived, and kava, which is good, but I like to know it comes from clean sources, because a hell of a lot of it doesn't. Very easy to access kava in Auckland; I would say it's by far the place with the largest consumption of it in the world.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
How toxic is your car exhaust? It's not easy to find out
Quote:My dad and I had two very interesting cars. The kind of cars that would be held up as just the kind we should be scrapping.

Why not test my ageing petrol Golf against dad's newer Skoda Octavia diesel?

It would be Top Trumps - but for emissions rather than 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.

I was hoping our two cars would tell us something about the existing stock of cars on the road.
Lengthy, but interesting, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
"Feckin' slaboriosity, i tell you." - stanky
Agree - it is interesting. And fucking scary as to how easily the manufacturers managed to get millions of filthy vehicles on the roads in spite of regulations.

What a surprise Nissan was the worst.

Horrible cars, and there are thousands of those Qashqai pieces of shit on the roads here.

Cars are another one of those things where technology has failed to keep up. If computers in 2017 had had only the same tiny increments of improvement that cars have, we'd still be working off mainframes to connect to the internet.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
good point , T.A.

However, it's fair to say that comparing things to computer evolution, almost everything else is still retarded. Not just cars.

Architecture, agriculture, clothing, governments, school, drugs,
you name it.

Except for computers, we're basically stuck in the 50's....with a few glitzy exceptions.

In many cases, we've made considerable reverse progress.

I could rattle off some examples, but who needs the bummer?