Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intergalactic relations??
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-07-05/milky-ways-stellar-speedsters-are-escapees-from-another-galaxy/8677288?section=science
Just as well there aren't any headed our way - 1000 km/sec is fairly fast. You'd get here from Pluto in a matter of weeks, I'd think: 6% of C? Can't be arsed doing the maths...
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Nah. Just .3% of C. (C is 300,000 km/sec.....right?)
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I'll have to take your word for it. [Image: confused0036.gif] [Image: rolleye0008.gif][Image: anim_59.gif]

So .. how did they get that much faster compared to 'ours' in that other galaxy?? What sped 'em up??
Nothing but gravity. And random chance. Gravity assist boost here, another one there and bingo! You're cookin'.
What gravity Sparks? If they 'escaped' from another Galaxy then they must have been flung out at a fair speed to have escaped the gravity that holds that galaxy together ... right so far??

To be flung out the galaxy must be spinning at impressive rate so which galaxy is it? Wouldn't the star gazers have spotted it?? But regardless, what makes that one spin faster than this one??

Random chance again? Or is there an equation involved?
(07-05-2017, 07:11 PM)sparks Wrote:  Nah.  Just .3% of C.  (C is 300,000 km/sec.....right?)

Course it is - and obviously so.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(07-06-2017, 02:45 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  What gravity Sparks?  If they 'escaped' from another Galaxy then they must have been flung out at a fair speed to have escaped the gravity that holds that galaxy together ... right so far??  Right

To be flung out the galaxy must be spinning at impressive rate so which galaxy is it?  Wouldn't the star gazers have spotted it??  But regardless, what makes that one spin faster than this one??  Random chance on how all the material came together in the first place

Random chance again?  Or is there an equation involved?  It is random chance, which is tough to calculate in large systems with so many bloody variables.  But it can be done given sufficient computing power and time to run the equations.

The boost they got while still in their own Galaxy.  Like the Voyagers and our solar system.
I just got smacked in the skull by damn neutrino.

(Ouch.)

good work, Sparky.
Thanks for that piece to add to my 'pattern'. I now have this picture of big suns blazing away out in the space between galaxies and the funding someone will get to look for them.

Seriously though, that is a new thing to wonder about.
Maybe there is that new source of energy needed to top up BSB's Space Ark on it's trip to ... oh wait, he wasn't leaving the galaxy was he? ... damn, another rethink. Don't worry, I've just woken up, I may get smarter as the day progresses.
(But don't count on it.)