Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News about the Pope, the Vatican, and Catholicism
That's an oldie Gman.  Back when Pell was still hiding out in Rome.

My opinion of Minchin isn't much different to that of the US hack comedians making a living off slander and sarcasm masquerading as social conscience. He can cloak his stuff as snide moral outrage but I see something a little 'sick' in Minchin.  Always have.  But, judging by his popularity that's probably just me.

I can't stand that bloody show, The Project, it's aimed at the 'hipster' left and the regular panel are a pack of smug, preening, self congratulatory posers.   Price is just called in on occasion to stir up some controversy.

Price has some issues but I hardly think protecting pedophiles is one of them. Over the years he's done some hatchet jobs on very deserving people, and is termed 'the little angry man'.  
He's not the greatest journo ever but he's not an ogre either.

The way that clip is labeled is not fair, he's certainly a tyke,  and probably (this was 2 years ago) still not willing to accept the worst until he had too, but he's not defending the 'charges' exactly,  just commenting on Minchin's right to use the terms he did in that song to pillory someone not yet even charged, let alone proven guilty. (remember it was another 2 years before Pell was charged)  

Anyone would expect to be sued for defamation for saying what Minchin did in that song and in public.  
I've said plenty about Pell too,  but not as part of a paid performance.

There are laws (ours a little different to yours) about what can be said pertaining to pending charges and comment on the character of suspects.   Minchin crossed the line regardless of who the subject was.  
There is still the presumption of innocence involved,  much as lynching would seem to be the preferred option.

I suppose Pres will come galloping in now accusing me of defending Pell or something.  He gets some odd notions sometimes,  but what burrs me up about that one is the creepy Minchin and the assumtions made that any lengths he goes to are okay as long as his bile is spit on people we don't like.  

Anyone can pander to the mob mentality,  I fail to see why people think he's so wonderful as the voice of conscience or whatever.  When he starts in on someone they do like for damned good reason I may change my mind on his value to social commentary.
(05-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  That's an oldie Gman.  Back when Pell was still hiding out in Rome.

Yeah, I know. I stumbled onto it while reading about Pell.

(05-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I can't stand that bloody show, The Project, it's aimed at the 'hipster' left and the regular panel are a pack of smug, preening, self congratulatory posers.   Price is just called in on occasion to stir up some controversy.

A left version of Fox and Friends?

Smile
"lower than a snakes ass in a wagon rut." - sparks
(04-30-2018, 11:18 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Yes there is some volume of delight being expressed across all levels of society about that.

Possibly the most disliked/detested man in OZ and always was so whether the trial would be as fair as most is questionable but who the fuck cares??

I've been waiting for you to crack open the champagne on that news. I certainly did. Regardless of the outcome, the cunt will have his day in court.

How fucking sad that, as a Holy Roman Fuckwit, he can't do a Hector MacDonald before the trial.

(05-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  There are laws (ours a little different to yours) about what can be said pertaining to pending charges and comment on the character of suspects.   Minchin crossed the line regardless of who the subject was.  
There is still the presumption of innocence involved,  much as lynching would seem to be the preferred option.

I'm not a Minchin fan-club member, as most of my fellow atheists seem to be. I never grant people with too much credit for going after the lowest-hanging fruit, which is I always put my time into other projects.

(05-01-2018, 03:13 PM)grayman Wrote:  A left version of Fox and Friends?

Smile

They're everywhere, which seems to be a big part of the problem - there's so much noise, and the lines ar so sharply drawn, that any kind of non-partisan approach is out the window.

I blame inequality.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(05-01-2018, 03:13 PM)grayman Wrote:  
(05-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  That's an oldie Gman.  Back when Pell was still hiding out in Rome.

Yeah, I know. I stumbled onto it while reading about Pell.

(05-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I can't stand that bloody show, The Project, it's aimed at the 'hipster' left and the regular panel are a pack of smug, preening, self congratulatory posers.   Price is just called in on occasion to stir up some controversy.

A left version of Fox and Friends?

Smile

That about covers it.  Just as biased but unable to produce the degree of fake gravitas and furrowed brows that the Fox mob specialize in.

The Project crew are gauche amateurs.

We shouldn't get too enthusiastic about the Pell trial though,  most of the charges were dropped.  The more serious and explicit ones,  due to sheer lack of evidence.

They really would need to have cast iron evidence to win,  it just isn't.  Most of it comes down to unsubstantiated accusations, and that won't cut it.
One flea in particular cast a pall over all the other claims, as his 'evidence', with times and dates, actually proved that Pell was no where near the place at the time the idiot was claiming the abuse.
The others don't appear to have any 'notes' at all.
The bloke may well have been abused by priests but they can't pin Pell as being one of them.  Hence no charges laid.

He has been charged with 2 separate batches of accusations from two different sets of accusers in two different places 20 years apart.
Lesser crimes of exposure to kids in public places and such.  These accusations do have a little 3rd party witness support so may bring a guilty verdict.

This has led to them having a mumble about actually running two separate trials to avoid confusion and conflation of events. 
It also gives them two bites at the cherry.  Big Grin

But don't bring your knitting to the guillotine,  that doesn't appear to be on the cards now.Sad
Australian archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses

Quote:Philip Wilson, the archbishop of Adelaide, becomes the most senior Catholic in the world to be charged and convicted of the offence.

He was found to have covered up the abuse of altar boys by a paedophile priest colleague in New South Wales.

During his trial he denied being told about the abuse by some of the victims.

In a statement issued by the church on Wednesday, Wilson said he was "obviously disappointed" with the verdict and would consider his legal options.
"lower than a snakes ass in a wagon rut." - sparks
He "could" get 2 years. Bet the bastard won't though.
(05-21-2018, 11:58 PM)grayman Wrote:  Philip Wilson, the archbishop of Adelaide, becomes the most senior Catholic in the world to be charged and convicted of the offence.

Cardinal Pell: "Hold my beer!"
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.