Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News about the Pope, the Vatican, and Catholicism
(02-21-2019, 10:39 PM)stanky Wrote:  I've always found it odd that orcas don't eat humans...even when they easily could.
There's not much evidence of sea mammals ever being a major threat  to us, despite our behavior towards them.
There's some recent documentaries of humans and sperm whales, getting personal.

And you'd have to admit that a single dolphin would make mincemeat of a human any time it wanted.

(02-21-2019, 10:39 PM)stanky Wrote:  It's a mystery to me. An intriguing one.

They probably recognise how fucking filthy we are and that they might get very sick by eating us.

(02-21-2019, 10:39 PM)stanky Wrote:  We haven't been good friends to other large mammals. To say the least.

Land mammals have a somewhat different attitude, too. Plenty of people get killed by elephants, hippos, etc.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
yup.

And lions; tigers...they still kill us...and they eat us. Bears, too.

They say that lions and tigers will get a 'taste' for human flesh. I doubt that's how it works.
More like, my usual prey is in short supply, and these humans are way easier to catch...they aren't very fast...and there's lots of them.
Once you tear the clothing off, they taste like meat. Same like meat. Meat that can't run very fast.

Humans have a history of eating humans. It's taboo now, of course.
But it's just meat. made out of the same stuff as other meat. If it's starving, it won't have much fat on it. Same like other meat.
Fat is good. Very much sought after, by all manner of carnivores.

Fat is the caloric money shot. Back in the day, when people ate people, almost everything was lean.
Later on, it became more symbolic. People eating people.

In some places, people are happy to eat other primates, if they can.
It wasn't that long ago that African pygmies were hunted for meat by other Africans. Sold in markets, even. In modern times.

Crocs still eat a fair number of humans. Hippos and elephants kill people, but not for food. They just don't like us.

Sea mammals are notoriously fat. They enabled humans to spread into very cold regions.

Leopard seals, of Antarctica are a strange beast. Often 1000 lbs; masters of their environment. Yet, one can see films of obscure encounters between leopard seals and human divers...and the seals mostly show curiosity toward the strange new prey.

I swam with wild sea lions one time. I was scared shitless. I was so aware of how easily they could have killed me.
Same with wild dolphins. Holy shit. A 300 lb beast tearing at you; as fast as a ski-doo.

I've never swam with orcas. Never had the opportunity. people do, I know. In NZ. And the pacific NW.
That has to be terrifying. Yet, they mostly don't kill us.

Whereas we will kill anything and everything.

Even when sharks kill us, they seldom eat us.

I guess a croc will eat us. A polar bear will stalk a human and eat it. happily.

They'd likely prefer a seal. more fat.
I don't know how i drifted from the Pope into that bit above.
(02-22-2019, 12:42 AM)stanky Wrote:  I don't know how i drifted from the Pope into that bit above.

You must be hungry.

Have a Snickers.
"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks

"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks
Cardinal says files were destroyed

Quote:"Files that could have documented the terrible deeds and named those responsible were destroyed, or not even created," Cardinal Marx told the third day of the conference in the Vatican. "Instead of the perpetrators, the victims were regulated and silence imposed on them."
How convenient.

Odd how often that kind of thing happens.

I was dealing with a company some years back who had apparently been burgled and the only thing taken was all of their financial records.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Think to come of it, I'd be hard-pressed to find my financial records.

Any of you codgers remember my personal favorite religious authority figure, "Father Guido Sarducci"?

He had theology down. Was he visible down under?

Here's one of his more secular moments, "The Five Minute University":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8x8eoU3L4

It's a 3 minute bit. If you don't know of him, it's worth a look.

Damn, now I've recalled my favorite presidential candidate, Pat Paulson.

More on him in a proper thread.