Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When fantasy meets reality
Time after time, I see headlines screaming that autonomous vehicles will replace millions of professional drivers, that home-help robots will replace service staff, etc, ad nauseum.

My opinion is that while the technology exists, manufacturing millions of autonomous vehicles and robots isn't economically feasible.

Thanks to living on a planet of finite resources, this point should be blindingly obvious, but it isn't.

Here's just a tiny taste of the future, based on current cobalt prices. Remember, this is with an incredibly small number of electric vehicles (less than 1% of the total) being produced right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-08/cobalt-upstarts-eye-glencore-s-turf-for-244-billion-ev-spoils

If you have a commodity doubling in price every 12 months, it ain't gonna work for very long.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Electric vehicles I get. Self-driving vehicles of any stripe? Why?
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Good question Sparks. Yet another chance for humans to shift self responsibility onto something else??
(06-09-2017, 12:51 PM)sparks Wrote:  Electric vehicles I get.  Self-driving vehicles of any stripe?  Why?

Safer. And cheaper, commercially. At least that's the theory.

I think the safer part is probably true, but since autonomous cars still require a driver to have a hand on the wheel at all times, the jury is still out.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Not really.

We can ride in trains, and even take a nap.
Robot-cars will allow "training" of vehicles...bumper to bumper...way more efficient.

Still, pretty fucking stupid, as per engineering solutions to obvious problems.
Like programmable toasters.

Who gives a shit.
(06-09-2017, 05:39 PM)stanky Wrote:  Robot-cars will allow "training" of vehicles...bumper to bumper...way more efficient.

Course it will, but the point is that we don't have anything like the resources to do it.