Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Holiday In America: Memorial Day
had a mass shooter, in tasmania...killed 36 iirc.

the nation was stunned. the government, which at the time was conservative,managed a recall of weapons with a bounty on them...and the people went along...fairly peaceably. turned in their guns.

pretty much put an end to mass shootings.

Di? Am i remotely correct on that?

I should google just how many guns were turned in then.

Interesting that sparky owns guns.
and i don't,

I'd make a decent Australian.

(I can drink beer, if need be, and love marsupials.)
I'd be lousy at it: I really don't like beer all that much. Smile
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(11 hours ago)sparks Wrote:  So, if Australia is the model,  did they at one time have a serious proliferation of guns and if so, how did they deal with that?

This is more or less correct:

(9 hours ago)stanky Wrote:  had a mass shooter, in tasmania...killed 36 iirc.

the nation was stunned. the government, which at the time was conservative,managed  a recall of weapons with a bounty on them...and the people went along...fairly peaceably. turned in their guns.

It seems to have worked as far as spree shooters go, although the number of mass-killings using other weapons has replaced the victims. The buy-back did remove the vast majority of semi-auto weapons.

However, guns are still available in a way they aren't here. Gangs have them and kill each other with alarming frequency, but since the deaths are all gang-related, nobody gets too uptight about it.

It's not the number of guns; it's the attitude towards them. Switzerland has enormous gun ownership and minimal gun crime.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Quote:Di? Am i remotely correct on that?

Not remotely Stanky, pretty much spot on.

We grumbled and bitched and the serious shooters sector ran a few scare campaigns along the lines the NRA does but Aussies shrugged that crap about self defence off.   We just didn't keep guns for that purpose. 
Different culture and history to the US. 

We weren't in any way scared of our government, they were scared of us. 
We weren't paranoid about burglars or muggers back then, it didn't happen often enough to bother us and an Aussie in those days would have enjoyed kicking the shit out of them far more than just shooting them. 
So the pro-gun lobby weren't important in the decision making

Mostly we just got shitty that someone wanted to take our toys off us.  Not because we weren't playing nice with them, 99.999% of us were, but because of the damage that one dickhead with a gun could do.  

The point about that shithead Bryant being an obviously retarded nut case, but still being able to buy guns, hit us in the logic circuits and we grumbled and bitched all the way to the 'cop shops' to hand over the guns we had no intention of using on anything more than cans on fence posts anyway.

Bryant wasn't the sole straw, just the last and biggest one.  There had been a bit of a rash of smaller scale nutter shooting sprees before that which tipped the scale more easily. 

There are still plenty of guns around down here, mostly illegal, and the 'buy back' wouldn't work that easily now. 
There has been a big change in the demographic of immigration since the gun handover and the preponderance of illegal firearms are to be found in the M.E. settled suburbs.   I can't imagine that they'd hand their weapons over voluntarily.   Different culture entirely to the one that prevailed when the 'buy back' was implemented.

That 'self defence' crap would hold much more punch now if it was spun right.  We'd be told we need to defend ourselves against all those 'arabs' who have the illegal ones.  ...  never underestimate a good spin doctor. 

We got lucky with the timing.

Don't worry 'bout the beer Sparky,  I can't stand even the smell of it, and I'm allowed to live here.

Whoops  ... just noticed the intervening posts.  I must be typing slower .

Re the gun profileration, yes there were a lot but not like the per capita count in the US.  And the majority of those handed in were old ones kept more as souvenirs or mementos, like grandpa's old rocker, than as serious weapons.

I had a rifle but I sold it just before the buy back,  guns weren't venerated so much here, just 'tools' or 'toys'.

TA has it right, it stopped the nutter/spree killings but we still get domestic and criminal shootings. 

A deranged old farmer took out his family and himself a few weeks ago.  Total 7 shot, but there's been no move to ban farmers having guns.  That kind of shit happens and if he hadn't had the gun he'd have used an axe.  Ce la vie.

Quote:It's not the number of guns; it's the attitude towards them. Switzerland has enormous gun ownership and minimal gun crime.

BINGO!
Thanks all!
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.