Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Holiday In America: Memorial Day
Quote:Australia has 28-day waiting periods, thorough background checks, and a requirement to present a "justifiable reason" to own a gun.

Unlike in the US, self-protection is not accepted as a justifiable reason to own a gun.

Those are the points with the zing in 'em.  Works for us but would Americans be as pragmatic?  Or as I've heard plenty of times are we just surrender monkeys down here?

It all hinges on different cultural attitudes. 
OZ (and NZ) didn't have to overcome that massively intense gun culture that the US has. 
It may not be the majority of Americans who hold it but those who do are the ones with the guns....  that's one hell of a vicious circle to crack.

We never did have a romance going on with guns, they were tools not trophies,  hence not that circle to break.

There was a lot of whingeing about handing in our guns but they were the hunters and farmers mainly.

They relaxed when they found out that rural landowners were allowed rifles and even shotties if there was reasonable need for them.

The hunters too can have them with proof of purpose.
 Target shooters need to be in a club and prove they have secure storage for the weapons. 

But once they were mollified then the rest of us wondered what the hell we were ever going to do with 'Dad's old gun' in the cupboard or shed anyway.   They weren't a 'comfort' to us, they were a source of unease, of worry. We didn't want the bloody things in the house.  (Luckily I'd already sold mine to a bloke at work before the Tassie massacre.)

The government were amazed at the volume of guns that came rolling in.  We had no real problem in parting with them because we weren't culturally attached to them. 
They weren't status symbols.  If anything, someone in the city who had a gun was looked at with some degree of suspicion.
My uncle was in the transport business and showed me a pistol that he kept in the spare tyre well of his Merc.  Freaked me out.  It was a cutthroat business, but shit, a gun?  Confused

Anyone inviting the visitors to view his collection of guns would be thought a nut case and possibly a criminal and at the very least a self aggrandizing wanker.

Different strokes ....

e.g. When PM Howard stood out in the open to announce the new gun laws he was wearing a bullet proof vest!!
Australians were mildly appalled that he thought he needed one, and righteously insulted that he thought he'd get shot for banning automatic weapons.  Did he think we were Americans or sumthin?

... it was a strange reaction really, and for probably the politically smartest PM we ever had a very uncharacteristically monumental error in judgement.

There were more complaints and invective about the inferred mistrust of us in wearing the vest than there were about the gun laws!!  We're strange like that.

So Aussies (and Kiwis) aren't the saintly goodies that the anti-gun lobby would have Americans believe, we didn't make any grand ethical gesture, we just got rid of what we didn't need to make it harder for the next nut job like Bryant to blow people away on a whim. 

But if it helps them out with their cause we'll go along with it. Happily.   Say whatever rings the bells about us but somehow I think it's a waste of time.

a bit of trivia.  I've seen it reported that there are actually more guns in private hands in OZ now than there were when the gun laws were enacted.  (But don't tell the anti-gun people, it would only make them sad.)
Difference being they're in the hands of crims  who are blowing each other away, not schoolkids.  They don't fart about with offing unnecessary targets. 
That a lot of organized crime gangs are M.E. types is a worry, but so far only a couple of people have been shot by Mussies,  even they haven't been shooting up schools.

... yes, Stanky,  when I posted that link about Donny's grand gesture of banning bump stocks I saw the irony in it.
Bolting the stable door too late covers that one.  No loss to the gun industry, they can write that off without a blink.

There is always a reason the U.S. can't adopt approaches to problems that seem to work well in other nations.
For one thing, we're convinced that we're number one.
Why would we take advice from number two?

We are hypnotized with our jingoism. We are the wealthiest country that has ever been. We hear that constantly.
Our top 1% have a very high standard of living.
We live through them.

(I think we're delusional, collectively.)
Most of us have never traveled.
We have no evidence of other countries that have higher standards of living and more freedoms.
We simply don't believe it.

"'I'll go sharpen the stillettos bad boy." - Di Wundrin 
Why did George have to die, yet Billy Graham seems to live forever?

Edit:

OK, never mind.
You'd think nothing could top George, but then this appears:

https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/Houston-area-school-district-threatens-to-suspend-12628365.php
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Ted Cruz/Tom DeLay country... such a shame, good bbq around there sometimes.
Paranoids have all the facts.
I feel you on that...

It's like the way Mitch McConnel brings a bad taste to this Kentucky bourbon.