Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
marijuana bubble?
What Is Oregon Going to Do With Over a Million Pounds of Excess Weed?
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
Send it to the Middle East. Mellow those fuckers out.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Work the black market, while it lasts, is my answer to that...based on some reality sandwiches.

Prior to legal-ish pot out west, illicit hillbilly growers could expect 2 to 400 bucks an ounce for their pot.

Those days are over.

The market value of weed is one of those abstractions of capitalism and laws.

If pot was completely legal and un-taxed, farmers would grow it if it only brought $5/pound.
farmers grow more difficult crops that bring less than that, and have, for decades.

If a drug like pot was truly legal, it would essentially be free. That's how little value it would have.
The same is true for all manner of illicit substances.

Meth could be synthesized and sold for a profit, at 5$/gram.

Nearly pure ethanol, for instance, when produced as an additive for gasoline, is produced for around 1 buck a gallon.
It's the pinnacle of gourmet booze, really. The good stuff, so to speak.
All the other fetish crap that is done to that molecule that gets you drunk only serves to dilute the essential drug in it.

A fatal dose of heroin could be sold at a profit, for 10 cents...minus all the regulations and smuggling costs.
Fentanyl and its more exotic molecular configurations, like carfentanyl, would be more like one cent for an overdose.

We are nowhere sophisticated enough to handle any of this, minus all the regulations and black markets and litigation's.

My personal favorite drug of all time, lsd, in the hey-day, cost around 50 cents, on the black market...for a life changing does.
Though, for the most part, it was free.

If a molecule like lsd was legal and un-taxed, it would likely cost about 1 cent to see the Pope level of trip. Maybe 2 cents to see God.

Shit like prozac, that sells for around 2 grand for a gram, would simply never garner a market at all if we ever get past the morality of altering our state.

There are prescription drugs of even more dubious value, that sell for way more than Prozac...not counting the cost of going to the doctor to get the script.

With the morality and legality issues removed, the cost of getting high would be less than the cost of buying bread for your kids.

This explains a lot of the reason why we apply a moral aspect to the desire to alter our state...something that is universal and goes way back.

It's an interesting quandary...one i suspect we mostly don't comprehend.

I recall an old documentary about coca farmers in Columbia...and one of them had switched to growing high grade pot. He was almost giiddy in explaining that he could make as much as 2 dollars a pound for his weed! Why we he bother with all the hassle of growing coca, when he could make that kind of money for weed? He was in fat city! he could suddenly have the money to send his kids to school. Changed his life.

If getting high was legal, it would be the least expensive commodity in our world. Regardless of your drug of choice.
A broccoli habit would cost much more. As it should. It takes a lot more work to produce a head of broccoli.
(01-05-2019, 08:03 AM)grayman Wrote:  What Is Oregon Going to Do With Over a Million Pounds of Excess Weed?

Keep bringing the price down!

A glut is great news for smokers.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(01-05-2019, 04:21 PM)stanky Wrote:  If a drug like pot was truly legal, it would essentially be free. That's how little value it would have.

NZ is looking like voting in legalisation this year, and it will be free here. It grows like a weed, and everyone who wants to will just tip some seeds in the garden.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Weed grows like a weed.

Who'd a thunk?

It's like it wants us to get stoned.
"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
There is confusion here among those who impose what's best for us about why pot smoking is on the rise.

Perhaps the reason could lie in them taxing cigarettes so hard has now put weed way ahead of tobacco on the affordability scale? Did the idiots really think that when people could no longer afford to smoke tobacco that they wouldn't find a cheaper alternative?? doh.
Don't see pot as a substitute for tobacco, but what the hell.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I don't either Sparky but then I never smoked weed so can't judge, but you wouldn't light up as often.

Kids who used to sneak cigarettes are now stating out on weed and that can't be good?