Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cool nerdy stuff
(07-04-2019, 11:52 AM)grayman Wrote:  I prefer Marmite myself.

Probably the only person in the region with a jar currently in the kitchen.

The state, even!

I find Marmite a bit sickly. Have you tried Bovril?

It used to be made out of dead animals and was fucking delicious; it made the best beef tea you ever smelled. Alas, mad cows put an end to it and they switched to brewery tailings. Completely different to what it was, but still by miles the best, according to my taste buds. It's English as well, so shares a few characteristics with Marmite. Bovril is runny, but saltier & less sweet than Marmite.

(07-04-2019, 11:59 AM)sparks Wrote:  Now then--how about Green Stamps and Gas Station perks?  Anybody else remember those from the '60's?

I still remember very fondly at age 6 or 7, having been saving up tea coupons (1d per 1/4 box) for a couple of years and sending them away to receive the king's ransom of ten whole shillings for them! A buck. Lasted me for months. Lollies then ~1966, were all less than a penny.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(07-04-2019, 05:20 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(07-04-2019, 11:52 AM)grayman Wrote:  I prefer Marmite myself.

Probably the only person in the region with a jar currently in the kitchen.

The state, even!

I find Marmite a bit sickly. Have you tried Bovril?

It used to be made out of dead animals and was fucking delicious; it made the best beef tea you ever smelled. Alas, mad cows put an end to it and they switched to brewery tailings. Completely different to what it was, but still by miles the best, according to my taste buds. It's English as well, so shares a few characteristics with Marmite. Bovril is runny, but saltier & less sweet than Marmite.

Bonox is the extract of addiction in Oz. It's the consistancy of molasses composed of something similar to an Oxo stock cube combined with Vegmite.
Technically it's supposed be used as a 'stock' additive but we tip boiling water on the goo, stir it up and drink it. It's oddly satisfying on a cold night, hot yeasty, beefy, and salty. mmmmm mmm.

I've never tasted Marmite, it's available here, but I refuse to try it. I think it was a totally illogical revulsion for anything Pommy more than any other reason. I don't even like their Marmalade.

"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks
Regardless of personality issues i had with my dad, I'm grateful for all the physics toys we grew up with.
I knew the disk. And the dippy bird, of course. The science behind that old toy is more complex than most kids can understand.
A timeless toy.

can't recall a time in my life when we didn't have a radiometer in a window sill. Of course, i've ade sure that my kids and grand kids have these toys around.

At some point, with luck, they may ask "So, Pa...what's the fucking deal with that thing?"

I think there's a hidden pyromaniac in most boys. At least there was in the 50's.
We always had a Fresnel Lens in the house.
When i was a kid, the other bad boys would try to start a fire with a normal lens. It took a long time.
Then I would whip out a Fresnel lens...and crush them...thanks to the weird science dork my dad was.
I've made sure my kids, and their kids always have these things.

My dad had a really powerful magnet when we were kids, We loved that thing. It was our pride and joy.
Before he died, I got to show him my rare earth magnets. He was amazed. They weren't around when he was a kid. There was no jealousy involved. He would gladly show it off to his ancient friends.

My grandsons have grown up with floating magnets. And all the more usual physics toys.
(I tend not to show them some of the more exotic chemical explosions i grew up with. It's not easy to purchase elemental sodium or white phosphorous these days.)

I believe that being exposed to such 'toys', without any explanation, can make a kid curious about science.
At some point they may ask: "So what's the deal here, grandpa?"

Maybe it's pushy, but these are the toys i've always gotten them.
Possibly dumb luck, but the lads are excelling in science. One of them is something of a freak. Off the charts in his age group.
His mom, my first daughter, grew up, like I did, around this stuff.
And the science toys of today are so much better. Like the floating magnet for instance...i didn't grow up with that one. It didn't exist.

But they have one, on their desk. Something inspirational, i guess.
Parents can be over-bearing assholes with their kids.
Without some subtlety, they can hate you.

I love my dad for all this stuff.
But there was also plenty of testy moments.

anyway, i'm a huge fan of physics toys.

I feel bad for any kids that didn't grow up with a gyroscope, for instance.
I can't even imagine what that's like.
Extremely powerful cosmic rays are raining down on us. No one knows where they come from.

Quote:You may think the greatest, most perplexing mysteries of the universe exist way out there, at the edge of a black hole, or inside an exploding star.

No, great mysteries of the universe surround us, all the time. They even permeate us, sailing straight through our bodies. One such mystery is cosmic rays, made of tiny bits of atoms. These rays, which are passing through us at this very moment, are not harmful to us or any other life on the surface of Earth.

But some carry so much energy that physicists are baffled by what object in the universe could have created them. Many are much too powerful to have originated from our sun. Many are much too powerful to have originated from an exploding star. Because cosmic rays don’t often travel in a straight line, we don’t even know where in the night sky they are coming from.

The answer to the mystery of cosmic rays could involve objects and physical phenomena in the universe that no one has ever seen or recorded before. And physicists have several enormous experiments around the world underway now devoted to cracking the case.
"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks
I want one of those 'disco' discs.

The cousin in Singleton has been using those supermagnets in their engineering business for years and still catch people out with them. They use a tiny one as a paperweight and ask a noobie to pass them the piece of paper which tears off in their hand.

Small things amuse.
Water found for first time on potentially habitable planet
Lucky it's only 111 light-years away.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It's also twice the size of Earth.

https://www.livescience.com/33294-what-if-earth-twice-size-big.html
It's been in the headlines of every new site I've looked at today.

Slow day, or feeding pathetically forlorn hopes?