Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
where's that old rock and roll thread part two?
This reminds me of past sins. I too bit on one of those record deals. They were very heavily advertised. The one i signed up for gave 12 free albums (cassetes at the time) from a nice selection, if you agreed to buy an album a month for eternity, at the regular bloated price.
Whatever.
Who had time for the fine print?

So, they send me the 12 free albums. It was great. I hitch-hiked from Boston to Berkeley with them. I recall one of them was Alice Cooper's first album.

What I forgot to do was fulfill the obligation of the binding legal contract I had entered into which brought me the 12 free albums.
I never bought anything from them.
I couldn't have if i wanted to. I didn't really live anywhere. There was no internet. They had no way of contacting me.

The truth is, I stole from this big corporation. I got 12 records for one dollar.
And none for $12.95

I kind of forgot all about that.
I forgot that i'm a common thief.

If i desired absolute atonement (hey, it's Yom Kipper, you Goys!)
I would find this company and pay what I owe them.
But I can't.
They went bankrupt, 40-couple years ago...because of punks like me.

This is the shittiest type of guilt...people are apt to make light of it...but i signed an agreement.

All i can do for even a symbolic degree of atonement for this sin, is to give the money I owed to a random stranger in need.
(And hope they aren't the future Hitler, and that my gift of atonement is what enabled the scourge. You really can't be too careful.)

i feel pretty sick about this, prez. Even when I was a fugitive, i never shop-lifted or panhandled. I knew how to dumpster dive.
I was very skilled at it; not to brag excessively...but I could ignore the yellow jackets that were drawn to the fresh produce.
They were off-putting to less skilled divers.
I was often able to share the bounty of my diving with others.

But i did steal from that company. I think it was RCA.

I want to turn myself in to the authorities.
I don't even have any of the 12 free records anymore.
I gave them away to people that gave me rides.
That's no excuse.

Damn.

hey! i just remembered another one of the 12 free records I got: It was Emerson, Lake and Palmer's first album. had "lucky Man" on it.
The synthesizer on it was fairly ground breaking at the time...
Feels cheesy now, what with the thievery of the background story.

Is my shame palpable yet?
That's my goal in this...to express a degree of shame, so palpable, that it leaves a smudge of filth on the reader. And they will be inclined to bathe.

But, yeah...Traffic was a great band. Stevie Winwood has had an amazing run. Very cool cat. Rock icon, for sure. He was awesome in Spencer Davis...pre Traffic. Gimme Some Lovin' holds up big time. Winwood was a teen when he belted out that vocal and keyboard work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3m0NBbq1o

an insanely hot song for 1966.
pretty sure that's how I got first two King Crimson albums. 

the more you drive the dumber you get
(09-19-2018, 07:09 PM)stanky Wrote:  This reminds me of past sins. I too bit on one of those record deals. They were very heavily advertised. The one i signed up for gave 12 free albums (cassetes at the time) from a nice selection, if you agreed to buy an album a month for eternity, at the regular bloated price.
Whatever.
Who had time for the fine print?

So, they send me the 12 free albums. It was great. I hitch-hiked from Boston to Berkeley with them. I recall one of them was Alice Cooper's first album.

What I forgot to do was fulfill the obligation of the binding legal contract I had entered into which brought me the 12 free albums.
I never bought anything from them.
I couldn't have if i wanted to. I didn't really live anywhere. There was no internet. They had no way of contacting me.

The truth is, I stole from this big corporation. I got 12 records for one dollar.
And none for $12.95

I kind of forgot all about that.
I forgot that i'm a common thief.

If i desired absolute atonement (hey, it's Yom Kipper, you Goys!)
I would find this company and pay what I owe them.
But I can't.
They went bankrupt, 40-couple years ago...because of punks like me.

This is the shittiest type of guilt...people are apt to make light of it...but i signed an agreement.

All i can do for even a symbolic degree of atonement for this sin, is to give the money I owed to a random stranger in need.
(And hope they aren't the future Hitler, and that my gift of atonement is what enabled the scourge. You really can't be too careful.)

i feel pretty sick about this, prez. Even when I was a fugitive, i never shop-lifted or panhandled. I knew how to dumpster dive.
I was very skilled at it; not to brag excessively...but I could ignore the yellow jackets that were drawn to the fresh produce.
They were off-putting to less skilled divers.
I was often able to share the bounty of my diving with others.

But i did steal from that company. I think it was RCA.

I want to turn myself in to the authorities.
I don't even have any of the 12 free records anymore.
I gave them away to people that gave me rides.
That's no excuse.

Damn.

hey! i just remembered another one of the 12 free records I got: It was Emerson, Lake and Palmer's first album. had "lucky Man" on it.
The synthesizer on it was fairly ground breaking at the time...
Feels cheesy now, what with the thievery of the background story.

Is my shame palpable yet?
That's my goal in this...to express a degree of shame, so palpable, that it leaves a smudge of filth on the reader. And they will be inclined to bathe.

But, yeah...Traffic was a great band. Stevie Winwood has had an amazing run. Very cool cat. Rock icon, for sure. He was awesome in Spencer Davis...pre Traffic. Gimme Some Lovin' holds up big time. Winwood was a teen when he belted out that vocal and keyboard work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3m0NBbq1o

an insanely hot song for 1966.

the more you drive the dumber you get
my sins and confessions are pathetic.

I need to invent some juicier stuff.

And grant forgiveness.

Is that legal?