Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nominee for Euthanasia ad campaign??
Came across this strange little video and it got me thinking.

Considering that most opposition to euthanasia is woo based, perhaps logical argument doesn't cut it as well as fighting woo with woo would?

I found this a really poignant idea, no belief required to recognise the pathos, and parallels of life in it.

It's animated so removes the viewer from the usual religious beliefs while engaging other ways of looking at things. It also removes the fear factor from the 'character' of death.  Hell, this makes you feel sorry for the poor bastard, a lonely and awful job. ( .. but maybe that's how I'm wired to see it.)

But the ending really nails the need for choice in the euthanasia debate.  Sometimes, we're just ready to go. 
And that is not such a bad thing.

What think you?  Am I turning Bambi and losin' it?? 

dang!
computer ate my post!
I had stuff to say. Now I'll have to wait for the urge to return.
(05-21-2016, 07:29 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Came across this strange little video and it got me thinking.

Considering that most opposition to euthanasia is woo based, perhaps logical argument doesn't cut it as well as fighting woo with woo would?

I found this a really poignant idea, no belief required to recognise the pathos, and parallels of life in it.

It's animated so removes the viewer from the usual religious beliefs while engaging other ways of looking at things. It also removes the fear factor from the 'character' of death.  Hell, this makes you feel sorry for the poor bastard, a lonely and awful job. ( .. but maybe that's how I'm wired to see it.)

But the ending really nails the need for choice in the euthanasia debate.  Sometimes, we're just ready to go. 
And that is not such a bad thing.

What think you?  Am I turning Bambi and losin' it?? 

Utterly fucking brilliant.

Shit, you find some amazingly good shit, Di.

Lovely video.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Coy-wolves are the new kids in town here. Hybrids of the Western coyote and the Northern timber wolves.
Happened as a consequence of our war on wolves, which enabled the coyotes to spread eastward...free of their traditional enemy.
These modern beasties are roughly 60/40 coyote-wolf...with some feral dog tossed in. They are doing very well, and changing the wild-life picture dramatically. Unlike the smaller Western coyote, these hybrids hunt in packs and can take down white-tail deer.

In fact, two days ago, a pair of them were tearing a doe apart, 50 meters from my shack...right on the road.
There's lots of stuff on you-tube about this phenomena. It's one of the fastest evolutions ever studied.

What struck me about the cartoon above, and euthanasia, was the predator. We lack the predator that makes death meaningful.
Modern human death is a final insult to the bio-sphere and its health.
Instead of feeding a worthy animal, we tend to preserve or incinerate our corpses, at great expense.

I miss the moment of horror when the predator snatches granny. I love the innate 'morality' of that equation. Everything is after the easiest meal. The old and infirm are snatched and eaten. No physical funeral is required. The old gal simply disappears, and feeds something other than bacteria.

That was probably the 'model' for most of human history.
Grandpa falls off the boat; gets eaten by sharks.
Deformed baby is left on the ice for the polar bear.

Rather a sweet scenario, really.

Shouldn't our corpse be our true gift to the bio-sphere?
Shouldn't we feed something instead of taxing it?
I've long thought the leaving of corpses on a rock in the mountains for the vultures was a pretty good and practical idea.
Except now it's being noted that the presence of modern medications in the bodies are doing the birds no favours.

Came across this about the practice being re-introduced in India, albeit on a tiny scale.
http://www.treehugger.com/culture/vultures-may-again-dispose-dead-mumbai-parsi-community.html
Synopsis:  Vultures are close to exitinction, at a rate of 97% gone.  They are dying from eating farm animals dosed with anti-inflamatories.  Which begs the question of the wisdom of feeding them humans with even more dodgy drug content, but hey, it's a kind of 'greeny' notion.

What I find confusing about peoples' attitude to corpse disposal is the notion that their loved ones must be preserved.  Why?  But those same people who will deny the permission for organ harvesting will then cremate the body.  
They won't allow the body to be "desecrated" by removing bits, but are okay with it being burnt.

How do they sort that out in their heads?

I've been at the point of thinking that walking out with the tide might be the best exit, but then bodies wash up, uneaten.
Not enough sharks to go round.  Crabs and things would eventually clean them up but some beachcomber would call the cops and the whole thing would go titsup so I didn't do it.  

The speeding up of evolution is evident here too, in feral cats.  Some are huuuuge!  2 to 3 times the size of housecats.  Bigger  than those Maine Coon cats.   They're just moggies, but survival of the fittest and strongest has led to the size increase over a relatively small number of generations.

We have the cross Dingo/ dog packs here, they're pretty bad news.  The Dingo isn't a worry but cross it with a German Shepherd and you have the equivalent of a wolf.
The 'Dog fence' 2000km of wire fence wasn't built to keep Dingos out so much as to stop them crossbreeding with farm dogs and producing an even more dangerous animal. 

Dingos are one of the few predators which it's claimed kill for pleasure, or from overexuberance at finding more food than they can eat.   They rip the bellies out of a whole sheep herd if they get the chance. 

But again,  there's some dispute about whether that is Dingo behaviour, or if it's feral dog behaviour.  Dingos don't normally hunt in packs, they're solitary in rough country where food is scarce.  Dogs though hunt in packs and therein lies the problem.  Maybe the poor old Dingo has been labelled with a bad rep due to 'foreign' DNA.  But then the Dingo itself is just a breed of dog.   A very old and 'wilder' breed, but a dog nonetheless.  It's the same as dogs found in Southern India to this day. It's an introduced species, not native. The Kooris brought them with them as pets.
Pack hunting is done by all dogs. Wolves are the original dog, and they are pack hunters and social creatures.
"Nobody should pin their hopes on a miracle": Vladimir Putin
Various Versions Of Teh Holey Babble Wrote:Kings 9:35-37

But when they went to bury her, they found no more of her than the skull and the feet and the palms of her hands. When they came back and told him, he said, “This is the word of the Lord, which he spoke by his servant Elijah the Tishbite, ‘In the territory of Jezreel the dogs shall eat the flesh of Jezebel, and the corpse of Jezebel shall be as dung on the face of the field in the territory of Jezreel, so that no one can say, This is Jezebel

Amos 2:1

Thus saith the Lord; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he burned the bones of the king of Edom into lime

Daniel 12:2

And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

And the kicker!

Quote:John 5:28

Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice

Google has everything bibly.  

So sayeth the Lard.
They didn't like Jezabel much did they?

Thank you for that foray into the Church of Google Shiner, an effort above and beyond the call of duty. Bless you my son.
I spose it all depends on which god you want to go with.  I'm sure there's a vulture god out there somewhere, but you might need to go North quite a ways to die, Di.  No vultures here, mate.  ?