Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media doesn't say....
Hey guys. .. is it normal in reporting instances of Euthanasia not to state outright that it is assumed it was a case of euthanasia? All articles aboit this arrest on first couple of pages of Google don't say anything except that this guy was arrested.... http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2016/05/01/nsw-doctor-charged-murdering-mother/

If it was.... can you even imagine how awful it would be for your parent to tell you they want to die?. ... if that's what happened... the guy was already there for his dad's funeral???? Maybe? ?? What a nightmare!
I saw this a few days ago and assumed he'd just put ol' mum out of her misery.
But after reading that article ......

Hmmm. His father died a few days before his mum, and his brother died in February ....

The plot thickens.
"Nobody should pin their hopes on a miracle": Vladimir Putin
It is slightly odd reporting, but it's Tassie I guess.

We've had several cases of people assisting with euthanasia being charged and even going to jail.

Stupid fucking law.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Euthanasia is an uncomfortable subject...and understandably so.
In the U.S., we hide our discomfort under the banner of "Hospice Care".

When your loved-one is deemed worthy of Hospice care, that basically means that Big Medicine has officially given up on curing the rotting blob of protoplasm, and will give the care-takers absurd amounts of morphine...which would otherwise be nearly impossible to score.
Furthermore, once in Hospice care, if Granny dies in the night, there will be no autopsy or investigation.

It's more or less an unspoken, legal option to put your suffering loved one out of its misery via an overdose of morphine.
And from what I've witnessed, not such a bad way to go.

(But we don't like to talk about it. It's morally reprehensible to address any of this in a remotely sane way.)

Nevertheless, you can kill your ma and pa with morphine in the U.S.
And it is sanctioned...just not in any pro-active way.

(That would be sick! Even though Granny is 97 years old, and had a great life, we need to gather prayer groups to encourage her return to good health, in the name of Jesus and his love...which for incomprehensible reasons, we need to prevent our rotting loved one from joining him in paradise...for as long as possible. )

This has always confused me a bit.
What is this obsession we have for maximizing the suffering of our loved ones?

It's one of those paradox zones I'm drawn to.

If you mess up, and kill granny, out of love and compassion, with a pillow instead of the morphine the state will supply, you could go to jail for murder.

Our collective insanity is very compartmentalized and arbitrary.

I think we're uncomfortable when faced with the logic of love and death.
Death is still treated as a mistake; not an inevitability.

(except in regard to the death penalty or various war efforts.)

We need to wage our next war on the aging populace that is way past enjoying life or contributing anything. In the U.S., this sort of war effort would be very inexpensive, and could free-up enough resources to allow new parents to spend a few months with their baby.

Funny, isn't it?
What a despicable thing I just wrote.
yet how rational and decent in intent.
Morality sure is tricky. I prefer it to be left up to the individual.... in most cases. and Euthanasia is no different.
State sanctioned murder and state enforced gestation are both illogical in my view, as it the opposition to euthanasia and the whole pro-life movement. All seem to be driven by something the opposite of Live and Let Live.

That said though - this case seems either quietly sinister or super super tragic. Was talking about it to our mutual friend yesterday and wondering if something more sinister must have happened for it to have been a long investigation and for the death of the mother to be so soon after the death of her husband and for their not to be any mention of euthanasia... The brother dies on 20 February. Less than 2 weeks later his father dies - on March 2. Then his mother dies on March 4. Early May - 7ish weeks later the doctor/son/brother is arrested. The plot, as shiner said, is thick. What an awful awful 2016 that family is having either way.... My sincere condolences to all of them.

Quote:Police say there is no indication Dr Edwards had anything to do with the death of his brother and father.
Dr Edwards profile on his GP practices website lists he has an interest in palliative care and geriatrics and has worked in hospices and nursing homes.

http://www.hit1009.com.au/thisistassie/local-news/doctor-charged-with-his-mothers-murder-in-hobart/
http://obituaries.themercury.com.au/notice/260352013
Facebookers all seem to be assuming it is euthanasia as well.....
https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/posts/10155054989894988
He seems to have a pretty good alibi for the brother and father so hard to see the connection there, without an accomplice anyway.

I hate these kind of cases as it fuels the anti euthanasia mob up.  They'll bounce about loudly and point to the "pitfalls" of euthanasia,  and tell us again that every bloody person in the Country is plotting to murder their parents legally.

Christ I find that insulting!  What kind of minds do they have that makes them think that there will be a mass outbreak of parent slaughter?  Do they really think everyone is a homicidal bloody maniac except themselves or something?

AAAaaaaarrrrrghh! ...   save us from those who know what's best for us!

Quote:Stanky:
We need to wage our next war on the aging populace that is way past enjoying life or contributing anything. In the U.S., this sort of war effort would be very inexpensive, and could free-up enough resources to allow new parents to spend a few months with their baby.

Funny, isn't it?
What a despicable thing I just wrote.
yet how rational and decent in intent.

That pretty much covers the whole euthanasia debate, it falls into the despicable or decent category depending on who is talking about it the loudest.

... it's a strange quirk of human nature, and political expediency, that while it is taken as a given that because polling indicates that 70% of the population is okay with gay marriage politicians should just pass the legislation without further ado,  while euthanasia which also polls around 70% approval rate is fought tooth and nail and politicians won't touch it. 

Confused much?? 
(05-08-2016, 03:43 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I hate these kind of cases as it fuels the anti euthanasia mob up.  They'll bounce about loudly and point to the "pitfalls" of euthanasia,  and tell us again that every bloody person in the Country is plotting to murder their parents legally.

Since most opposition t euthanasia is religious, they can go fuck themselves.

If this is assisted euthanasia, then it's a good argument for euthanasia legalisation, not against it.

I wouldn't expect them to understand that.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.